Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16

Author Topic: Vintage Story - Better than TerafirmaCraft!  (Read 27341 times)

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
Vintage Story - Better than TerafirmaCraft!
« on: February 05, 2018, 09:06:09 pm »

Website
Discord
Official MP Server: chrometech.at

Quote from: Official Website
Vintage Story is a game about innovation and exploration. It thrusts the player into a carefully-generated semi-autonomous world and challenges them to survive and overcome the natural and unknown threats of their new home. Intrepid players who accept this challenge will find themselves rewarded with mechanics that respects their intelligence and allows for tangible, realistic invention. In addition, they’ll find a world with its own character and a deep, interconnected narrative (WIP) within it. It aims to become the new standard of voxel games, as we, a small dedicated team, relentlessly expand it with story elements, more creation tools and survival elements.

The game is currently an early access title. It is fully playable, pretty stable and has a decent level of game content to play around with.

In words not written with marketing in mind: Vintage Story is a great and becoming better Minecraft clone that takes the best bits of Minecraft with the TerrafirmaCraft mod and improves or replaces the worst bits.

It is certainly not finished, but the existing content is well made and tons of fun. It only costs $9, and is worth every penny.

Bugs are fixed promptly, and the developers are accessible and engaged with the community via the official forum and Discord.

For those who care about such things, there is a proper modding API that is simple and easy to use without making complicated stuff impossible. Adding a block or changing worldgen is all simple JSON data files, and more complicated mods can be done with C#

Screens and Videos
Roadmap
Current Features
System Requirements
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
Re: Vintage Story - Better than TerafirmaCraft!
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 09:07:50 pm »

Since the original thread is locked and doesn't seem to be reopening, I figured we should have a new one.

The Bay12 server is no longer up, but the official server is pretty cool!
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Pancakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels drink: Too insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 10:03:38 pm »

Aha! I knew a thread would crop up sometime! I was contemplating starting a server for B12, but I don't have dedicated resources, so it wouldn't be up as much as I like.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 06:56:21 am »

Ah, good.
Now we can discuss the game again!

but the official server is pretty cool!

Unfortunately, I cannot seem to login to that server.
My game seem to acknowledge the server name as legitimate, but refuses to connect.

I however am not at home at this moment,
so I cannot do anything to fix it if anyone would have a solution.
It would have to wait until I'm back home.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 07:19:54 am »

My game seem to acknowledge the server name as legitimate, but refuses to connect.

Hmm... Odd. You are running the latest version? Right?

The devs have been posting images of cool spots on the official server in the Discord, complete with coords for those interested in building there. Some of the spots are really, really cool. Also, someone found some pumpkin seeds (a rare loot item).

I have picked a rock spire and built a little base at the foot of it. The plan is to hollow the spire out into a natural tower of sorts.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 09:26:43 am »

Hmm... Odd. You are running the latest version? Right?

The devs have been posting images of cool spots on the official server in the Discord, complete with coords for those interested in building there. Some of the spots are really, really cool. Also, someone found some pumpkin seeds (a rare loot item).

I have picked a rock spire and built a little base at the foot of it. The plan is to hollow the spire out into a natural tower of sorts.

1.5.0.3 yes.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 09:44:07 am »

Ok, so I just got the game, who's playing and where? Do we have a discord or some way to communicate and coordinate?
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2018, 09:59:20 am »

Well, I only know of the official server, but I think there is a server run by the HappyDiggers Minecraft community as well (nope, they are still just talking about it).

As for communication, the official VS Discord is pretty low traffic and works well when playing on the official server.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 10:22:07 am by milo christiansen »

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2018, 10:47:34 am »

How complete is the game? What can currently be done in it? I checked the wiki and aside from the starter guide and the crafting recipes page, there was little info. I'm also wondering if what's on the crafting recipes page is all there currently is to the game or if there's more.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2018, 11:02:02 am »

PTW again.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2018, 11:05:37 am »

I'm also wondering if what's on the crafting recipes page is all there currently is to the game or if there's more.

The crafting recipes page is complete, but 3x3 grid recipes are only used where there isn't a better system already. This means that flint knapping, pottery, and metal working are not listed on that page. The wiki is pretty bare-bones at the moment, the recipe list and the survival guide are really the only two "finished" parts.

What can you do? Dig, build, explore, get killed by wolves, etc.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2018, 12:50:54 pm »

What are those midget yeti things that come to harass me at night? Are they worth hunting down?

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2018, 12:54:34 pm »

Nope, "drifters" are just there to annoy the player. AFAIK they just appear out of nowhere, and they are not too deadly. Just kill any that bother you and go on your way (they don't drop anything).

Wolves on the other hand... Wolves are spawn of evil. They seem to die easier than drifters, but they can down a player in no time flat. At least they drop useful resources...

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2018, 01:14:34 pm »

Drifters have almost half the health of a wolf.  Also drifters do 2-4 damage while wolves do 6+.  Drifters only spawn in the dark/night.  Wolves spawn in certain areas at anytime of day.  A wolf infestation is permanent fixture of a region.

Pancakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels drink: Too insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2018, 08:10:15 pm »

I'm setting my base of operations on the server at about 1150, -750 on a glacier. It seems that there aren't any animals around where I am, and the geography seems a bit hard to build around, but I'm looking forward to the challenge
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16