Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16

Author Topic: Vintage Story - Better than TerafirmaCraft!  (Read 26517 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Vintage Story - Better than TerafirmaCraft!
« Reply #105 on: December 09, 2020, 09:48:24 pm »

You can also add pit traps with ladders in them to catch the rabbits near your farms. Can be quite handy.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 10, 2020, 09:28:23 am »

Why is it that, when you add an item to a stack of things being cooked/fired it reduces the current heat of the item being cooked, yet it still only ever processes one item at a time? As in, when the current item is done, the next item starts from cold.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 10, 2020, 02:32:33 pm »

My internet has been having a bit of a time lately (The company recorded 30 disconnects yesterday, and earlier today when rand they'd recorded 25) so I'm going to be a little absent online until that's sorted.

Why is it that, when you add an item to a stack of things being cooked/fired it reduces the current heat of the item being cooked, yet it still only ever processes one item at a time? As in, when the current item is done, the next item starts from cold.

Apparently there's plans for a firepit rework, so I assume this is a sort of functional half-measure right now.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 10, 2020, 03:08:14 pm »

Heh.  My hunger has stopped dropping.  I think it happened when I was holding a torch in my off hand slot, and that got extinguished while entering water.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 10, 2020, 04:52:03 pm »

Heh.  My hunger has stopped dropping.  I think it happened when I was holding a torch in my off hand slot, and that got extinguished while entering water.

Are you eating prepared meals? For every 100 points of satiety that a prepared meal restores, you gain 30 seconds of your satiety not decreasing. That is, if a meal gives you 500 points of satiety and you consume that much - meaning it's better to wait until you're hungry enough to eat the whole meal - you get 2 and a half minutes where you won't get any hungrier.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 10, 2020, 05:33:29 pm »

After playing for about 40 minutes, the hunger meter started dropping again.  That was way more than 30s per 100 satiety, more like 300s

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 10, 2020, 06:16:46 pm »

Got the bismuth.  So now have an anvil.  Just need candles and I can start making lanterns.  Yay better lighting.  Also bronze tools, which are also good.

Went out to loot cobblestone from some ruins for furnaces.  Ran into 3 ruins right next to each other that had furnaces in them.  So score.  Now to pan these 40 boney soil for extra loot.  Then go back out to hit up that olivine so I can make green glass.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also going to go quarry some slate and start a tower only accessible via rope bridge from the stairs that go up to my house.  Need somewhere to put the eventual windmill.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 10, 2020, 06:25:48 pm »

After playing for about 40 minutes, the hunger meter started dropping again.  That was way more than 30s per 100 satiety, more like 300s

True, I've also been noticing pauses like that too. I didn't have time to write a longer post on it. I've found that sleeping causes it to start again. Maybe it has something to do with nutrition variety?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 10, 2020, 06:43:33 pm »

Sleeping didn't start it back up for me... Sleeping did drain some food, but fter waking up the meter paused again until 40m later.

Right now I am trying to find chalk or limestone.  Walked straight south for 3 days, no luck so far.

EDIT: Oh hell yeah, found it on my detour way back. A whole biome full of chalk.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 07:11:07 pm by martinuzz »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 11, 2020, 10:26:47 am »

For some reason, taking screenshots with F12 is just throwing errors at me. Also, trying to use PrntScrn to take screenshots in fullscreen doesn't take a screenshot of the moment the key is pressed, but a shot from from several seconds before with the Esc menu overlaid over it regardless of whether that menu was open then or not. It does work in windowed mode.

I also found a few surface nuggets of tin. Gonna go back there and see if I can't dig up a surface deposit. The first mineshaft I dug, where I found bismuth, went so deep some spiky drifters started spawning in the shaft. Not sure if that was tainted or corrupt, I fled too quickly and just barely escaped.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 11, 2020, 10:42:53 am »

Nice looking house!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 11, 2020, 05:20:57 pm »

After the first one or two days ingame, food becomes really a non issue.

Farming and hunting + cooking and sealed crockpots, made food for months in a few days time.

I suppose that's okay, now I can focus on exploring / trying to capture and breed animals / digging too deep.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 11, 2020, 05:46:13 pm »

After the first one or two days ingame, food becomes really a non issue.

Farming and hunting + cooking and sealed crockpots, made food for months in a few days time.
Yeah, I'd like to see hunting animals get more of a learning curve. Right now it's pretty Minecrafty in that you can just walk up to an animal and whack it to death with a melee weapon, sprinting as necessary to keep up. In reality a rabbit would be a near impossible thing to capture without traps, and many other critters would be difficult to locate and pin down.

I'm the last one to tout realism as always being the best design choice for the player experience, but if there's anything that this game has taught me, it's that inconvenient but immersive mechanics can be pretty engaging; I think it would be really cool to actually track a deer, hit it with a well-placed spear from stealth, and then claim your prize.

That said, I feel like the speed at which the hunger meter currently degrades would run counter to that kind of slow-paced, high-difficulty hunting; you'd likely run your stomach empty just trying to kill a single animal.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 11, 2020, 08:11:23 pm »

Yeah, the game definitely needs a full hunting-to-food balancing. Both in making hunting more interesting and making it so that you need food in a reasonable time frame to go along with hunting.

But it's got time. They still don't even have stuff like fishing in yet. So I expect that once they get all the major food sources in place that sort of re-balancing will make more sense.
Come play Mafia with us!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 11, 2020, 08:45:28 pm »

Dayum that scythe should come with a warning.
I just mowed down a few crops that weren't ready yet because I didn't realize the scythe harvests more than one tile per sweep.

I can't help but image the drifters as some kind of clockwork horror dolls, because they drop cloth and gears.

EDIT: also, the weather effects are amazing and immersive.  I rarely have a game make me feel like staying indoors (ingame) when there's rains and thunderstorms, but this one does that quite well.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 08:47:30 pm by martinuzz »

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16