Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16

Author Topic: Vintage Story - Better than TerafirmaCraft!  (Read 27596 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vintage Story - Better than TerafirmaCraft!
« Reply #165 on: April 27, 2023, 06:49:55 pm »

Found iron for the first time this run. I definitely recommend the ProspectorInfo mod. All it does is save a record of every chunk(32x32x∞) you prospect, and also displays that information on the map. Far easier than trying to remember, or pin notes on the map.

Kept prospecting chunks until I found magnetite at about 1‰(poor for magnetite), then kept prospecting, following the chunks, watching the prospect value change until it a maximum of 4‰(Ultra). Then dug straight down, hit it at less than 15 blocks down. I still have to build a bloomery, and build up larger stock of charcoal though.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 27, 2023, 09:44:21 pm »

Got a bronze anvil too? Need one of that tier or better to work the blooms and iron.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 28, 2023, 04:08:23 am »

Of course. I skip making a copper anvil because you don't strictly need an anvil until iron, barring a few tools that, by the time I need to make them I'm already looking for tin anyway.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 28, 2023, 10:06:51 am »

I generally wind up with a massive surfeit of copper due to my exploration and marking of every surface vein I find. I actually find tin and similar a pain in the arse to get a hold of for making bronze-tier stuff.

Also I like to have a saw for chests as soon as possible, and that has to be smithed.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 02, 2023, 04:08:34 pm »

Well I decided to give this another shot. Created a world with a five-day delay before monsters spawn so I could at least start to get my bearings. It was a struggle for most of those five days; food was scarce, the few animals I managed to hunt (by chasing and stabbing with a knife) dropped virtually nothing, there wasn't a single sign of copper anywhere. Plenty of quartz, but I had no use for it. Still, I managed to dig out a little shelter in an area that was reasonably stable, and found some clay so I was able to make some bowls, cooking pots, and storage vessels. With the ability to cook actual meals using the food I scrounged up, things got a little better, and I decided to go on a trip to try and find some copper once and for all.

I was wandering some hills when suddenly I was confronted with two wolves and at least one pup. The wolves tore me to shreds almost instantly and I respawned far away because I hadn't had any chances to set my spawn point closer.

I tried to go back. The wolves were camping the area and tore me apart even more quickly because I had no gear, no weapons, and no food except for a few servings in my shelter. And there was still no copper.

So I lost everything because wolves are still hyperaggressive and incredibly deadly, same as years ago. That killed some of the cautious hype I was building back up.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 02, 2023, 07:51:41 pm »

Monster spawn delay isn't the setting, it's creature hostility - though that also affects drifters according to the tooltip. Wolves aren't "monsters" per se, drifters are - I've had wolves spawn in the grace period. Stabbing animals with a knife isn't really the most effective way. Stabbing with a spear is better. Throwing several spears maybe even better, though spears don't stack in your inventory.

As for copper, there's a setting that controls spawn rate for that(and one for tin), and for some reason it seems to have been set to rare as default at some point. I've seen a few posts by people caught off guard by that.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 02, 2023, 09:31:53 pm »

You can outrun wolves if you just sprint endlessly.

Another way to deal with them is to jump into deep water. They stick to the surface so you can just stab them from below repeatedly.

The bears are the fun ones. High damage, loads of health, just as fast as you at full sprint AND they can climb sheer three block walls.

I'd also advise making improvised armour or wood lamellar for a bit more survivability early on.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 03, 2023, 06:06:37 am »

Other than the horrible implementation of wildlife, what kind of brain rot led the developer to put midi horns in place of voices? How are people ignoring this? Does everyone play without sound on? This is awful.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 03, 2023, 10:08:22 am »

Other than the horrible implementation of wildlife, what kind of brain rot led the developer to put midi horns in place of voices? How are people ignoring this? Does everyone play without sound on? This is awful.
It's strange because certain actions do make you do normal grunts, such as stabbing with a spear etc. I've found that 'oboe' on the lowest pitch is less annoying than the others so that's what I've been using.

But yeah, regarding wolves, it's really damn annoying that you don't get any warning before they hunt you down and kill you. Yes they growl, but that's only after they've entered death torpedo mode. The growling should come BEFORE that, so you have 2-3 seconds to get away at least... But, well, there are ways to sort of cheese them, whether it be the water trick mentioned above, or building a 3-tall pole and stabbing/throwing spears at them from safety. If you have more than 1 spear in your inventory you will automatically equip it when you throw one so you can rapid fire them if needed.

It's a shame because once you find a place to settle down without bears and wolves spawning around you the game gets a really nice Valheim feeling where you're just building up your homestead and venturing out is when you have to be wary of dangers.

If dealing with bullshit wolves and bears is ruining your enjoyment of the game then maybe you could swap the world to creative mode just so you can find a place to settle down? Unfortunately at this point it seems like the only other options are either dealing with the wildlife the way they are now, changing world settings or getting some kind of mod, or deciding the game isn't for you and throwing in the towel.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 03, 2023, 10:23:20 am »

No need to even do creative mode, just set animals to passive during world creation. Makes wolves and bears dangerous to hunt (and their pelts ARE valuable, especially early on) while keeping them from seeing you as food.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 03, 2023, 02:10:37 pm »

they're dangerous to hunt? all you need is a spear and a three block height to hunt them without danger.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 03, 2023, 02:18:32 pm »

I mean, I don't want everything in the world to be passive towards me. I don't mind a bit of danger, and I know fighting the Drifters is supposed to be part of progression. What I do mind is the fact that all the other critters can have some nuance in their behavior while wolves (and presumably bears, though I haven't encountered any yet) are locked into being either totally passive or RPG murder monsters.

Particularly galling in my deaths was the fact that rabbits and bighorn sheep were just hanging out peacefully with the wolves, who completely ignored them. Realistically the wolves should have been hunting actual prey and leaving me alone unless I acted aggressively.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 03, 2023, 02:22:36 pm »

they're dangerous to hunt? all you need is a spear and a three block height to hunt them without danger.

Well, compared to some other things. You can't just walk up and stab them without repercussions.

In the past I've done some light modding to reduce their aggro range, which I found was a good balance.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 03, 2023, 06:14:27 pm »

I may have run into a bug where the last slice of a pie gives no satiety.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 03, 2023, 09:18:51 pm »

I mean, I don't want everything in the world to be passive towards me. I don't mind a bit of danger, and I know fighting the Drifters is supposed to be part of progression. What I do mind is the fact that all the other critters can have some nuance in their behavior while wolves (and presumably bears, though I haven't encountered any yet) are locked into being either totally passive or RPG murder monsters.

Particularly galling in my deaths was the fact that rabbits and bighorn sheep were just hanging out peacefully with the wolves, who completely ignored them. Realistically the wolves should have been hunting actual prey and leaving me alone unless I acted aggressively.
They do, normally. One of the best warnings a wolf is around are ravaged carcasses (Although foxes hunt hares so if it's just hares you might be safe).

Wolves tend to spawn in areas where sticks are on the ground too, so that's a sign you need to be on the lookout.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16