Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16

Author Topic: Vintage Story - Better than TerafirmaCraft!  (Read 27098 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Vintage Story - Better than TerafirmaCraft!
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2019, 01:39:00 pm »

Any suggestions for early-game housing? I'm a little done with hiding on a dirt tower every night and needing to kill 2-4 gathered drifters (which don't even drop anything!) once the sun comes up. Unfortunately I need all of my wood blocks to make firewood to make charcoal, and cobblestone almost requires metal tools in order to gather sufficient stone.

I dislike drifters. I don't mind the presence of hostile creatures, but they are not fun to deal with and unlike Minecraft mobs you can't just wait them out until morning. If you're unlucky enough to get surrounded by drifters at night you absolutely must clear them out before you can get anything else done.

EDIT: I downloaded the new stable version, wiped the old world because apparently 1.9.1 is such a different beast that even a huge array of server commands can only partially fix a 1.8.x world. First impressions:
Foxes are adorable. I hope they can be tamed at some point.
They made the pre-metal grind even worse by now requiring a whopping 20 copper bits to make a single ingot. Considering that on my previous world I was lucky to find a whopping total of 15...
On the bright side, I found my first ruin, on the surface even. I broke open a loot container labeled (Food) and discovered, not food, but a friggin vinyl record disk. Very cool, but I can't use it. At least I can strip down the ruins for enough cobble to build a proper house for the first time, ever.

EDIT 2: Goddamn wolves. Ambushed me while scouting out a place to build my home. Now my cool stuff is gone somewhere far, far from spawn, and I cannot find the place again.
I don't suppose there's a log somewhere that might mention the coordinates where players have died, is there?

EDIT THE THIRD: Found my old site, but some of my stuff despawned (not the record though!). Barely escaped from roving wolf packs, now trying to find a place to build a base. I wanted to settle on top of this massive plateau I found, but I discovered one very sad new change: You can't swim up waterfalls any more. No more water elevators, I guess.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 06:27:22 pm by Sirus »
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2019, 07:37:26 pm »

Yeah, not sure about 1.9 since I haven't played it yet, but Drifters so far have felt...uselessly annoying to me. In a game that's all about having a realistic survival feel to it, a monster that appears out of nowhere and does nothing useful but be hostile just feels out of place.

To be fair, I never really enjoyed minecraft monsters either. The challenge they add isn't enough to counteract the fact that they just feel so pointless to the world. But at least they drop some useful stuff.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2019, 08:24:27 pm »

They made the pre-metal grind even worse by now requiring a whopping 20 copper bits to make a single ingot. Considering that on my previous world I was lucky to find a whopping total of 15...
Isn't one of the new features panning for copper?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2019, 01:52:22 pm »

Does this have more lategame content than TFc or is it the same in that it’s an endless crawl towards decent tools and then no issues ever again and the content runs out except for crafting improbbable-looking steel alloys?
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2019, 03:42:45 pm »

As of right now, there isn't even steel. The end game stuff is most of what is missing now actually, the focus seems to be on basic systems and finishing the early/mid game. Keep in mind, this is still pretty early days, small team, all that BS.

The foundation is pretty solid now, but there is a long ways to go before the house is done.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2019, 03:49:22 pm »

No steel, but there is uranium of all things. I don't know if it actually spawns anywhere but it's visible in the in-game handbook (along with some rather advanced bits of technology).

So there most definitely is a foundation. What the devs will do from here is still a bit up in the air.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

( Tchey )

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://jeux1d100.net/
« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2019, 01:46:35 am »

Hi,

So there most definitely is a foundation. What the devs will do from here is still a bit up in the air.

On Discord, "people" talk about end game with natural powers managment : wind and water. So, pump, windmill, semi automatic grinders...

Already in its current form, it's dozen of hours of fun, really. World gen is great, exploration meaningfull for ressources, ruins, or simply landscapes, and building something "big" and "legit" will need quite some time and work.

Best Minecraft clone i've played so far, included Minecraft (i played it the first time before it was a htit, in pre-alpha, when Notch was still a human being).

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2019, 07:22:10 am »

So, time moves on, and like most decent early access games more features arrive with every day. Progress is being made, each small step interesting but mostly not hugely exciting all by itself.

Anyway, one of the very first versions has been released for free as a sort-of "blast from the past" type thing. A lot of features are missing in this version, but if you have not tried the game yet it can give you a taste for the general look and feel. If you have tried the game before, this is a good time to see how far things have come!
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 29, 2019, 10:38:09 pm »

I always pick up (or revisit, as the case may be) a game at the most inopportune time. I play for a bit and get invested in my world and then 1.12 (well, the beta thereof) drops.

Here's the state of my world after a few hours. Doesn't look like much, I suppose. Included are the waypoint and immersion mods. I've been seriously considering doing some kind of brewing mod or something.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 09:31:32 am by Mephisto »

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2020, 11:25:04 am »

So, it's been a good while since the lot of us messed around on a server. Would anyone else be up for some multiplayer? Maybe we could make a small hamlet together.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2020, 11:30:11 am »

A new stable version just released today, and there was a recent *massive* influx of new players due to some big German streamer.

There are quite a few new features, including some basic mechanical power (currently used for milling and certain kinds of forging). I haven't played for quite a while, mostly because I don't want to burn out on it while still in early access.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2020, 12:42:36 pm »

I love ascended bugs.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2020, 12:52:05 pm »

Alright, well I'm going to be rejoining the official server (chrometech.at) at some point. Since it's not been wiped since I last played months ago, I'm going to ditch all my equipment bar some food and head off in some random direction to find somewhere to settle. Mention here if you want to join me.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2020, 01:11:56 pm »

On account of nobody else seemingly wanting to join I've started up a new SP world.

Made it a challenge world, too. Very hot with hyperarid climate. Everywhere is desert, there's no clay, no crops, very few animals, no soil, no reeds.

I have to get wood from the sparse acacia/pine trees, clay has to be gathered from cracked vessels, crops have to as well. My food is what I can scavenge from ruins and saguaro fruit.  The only soil is low fertility soil I find in ruins since some of them spawn with it. I'd love to try MP with these settings at some point and make a settlement, maybe once the game's larger and more complete.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 29, 2020, 02:30:12 am »

Not really in a position to play games like this these days, but this is the first minecraft-like that has peaked my interest so far. I'll pick it up in the future, for sure.

That sounds super cool, Great Order.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16