Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16

Author Topic: Vintage Story - Better than TerafirmaCraft!  (Read 27506 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Vintage Story - Better than TerafirmaCraft!
« Reply #90 on: December 09, 2020, 12:13:40 pm »

Finally! Found 6 pieces of surface tin.
Smelting 300 units of tin bronze now.  Progress!
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 09, 2020, 01:06:13 pm »

Still looking for mine. Propsected a few places that might have small amounts, though I think I'd have to dig pretty deep. How far down can you dig anyway?

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 09, 2020, 01:14:50 pm »

Also, is there a different image site to use than imgur? They now require an unskippable 30 second advertisement to post a picture.

Do you have an account? I haven't experienced ads when uploading to my account.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 09, 2020, 01:36:36 pm »

Still looking for mine. Propsected a few places that might have small amounts, though I think I'd have to dig pretty deep. How far down can you dig anyway?

https://wiki.vintagestory.at/index.php?title=Ore_Deposits Depth range for ore. default surface level is about 100-110 i think. Hover any large body of water with the mouse in the map view and you should get coordinates and thus height

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 09, 2020, 01:44:56 pm »

Still looking for mine.
You don't need much though. 5 tin nuggets + 55 copper nuggets gives 300 units of tin bronze. I think finding just a single piece of surface tin (which gives you 2 nuggets) is enough to get your first bronze pick crafted.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 09, 2020, 01:59:46 pm »

I picked up the game recently and I am now an experienced caveman. However, I'm having some trouble with copper gathering so I can put together my first metal tool. Is panning the only way to gather copper outside of wandering around until you chance upon some coppery pebbles? If so, is there some way I can make panning a little less... right clicky? I'd like to have a functioning wrist for many more years to come, if possible.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 09, 2020, 02:01:42 pm »

As far as I know right now those are the only two ways.

Really, the best ways to make things better are just setting the configs for the world to have surface copper being more common.

You can also mod the game to make panning have a higher chance of success, which will reduce how much you have to do it.

Which feels a bit like cheating, but realistically once you don't have to pan anymore you probably never will, so I don't really see anything wrong with it.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 09, 2020, 02:12:12 pm »

As far as I know right now those are the only two ways.

Really, the best ways to make things better are just setting the configs for the world to have surface copper being more common.

You can also mod the game to make panning have a higher chance of success, which will reduce how much you have to do it.

Which feels a bit like cheating, but realistically once you don't have to pan anymore you probably never will, so I don't really see anything wrong with it.
Thanks for the feedback. I also just realized (with a facepalm that resounded through the room) that I can just right click once instead of holding the button. This discovery alone saves me much pain.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 09, 2020, 02:13:41 pm »

Still looking for mine.
You don't need much though. 5 tin nuggets + 55 copper nuggets gives 300 units of tin bronze. I think finding just a single piece of surface tin (which gives you 2 nuggets) is enough to get your first bronze pick crafted.

It's not just the pick, it's the anvil(another 900 units). You need a bronze anvil to start working iron.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 09, 2020, 02:56:10 pm »

Still looking for mine.

It's not just the pick, it's the anvil(another 900 units). You need a bronze anvil to start working iron.

Once you get a pick, getting 900 units becomes much more trivial. Head back to the spots you found surface copper/tin and dig around a bit (don't forget that waypoints are a built-in feature if you don't like keeping scratch paper around). Where there's surface metal, there's underground metal.

If you're going to pan for metal, keep in mind that the bits you get from panning are significantly smaller than chunks that you find on the ground. I don't recall by how much but it's definitely fucked up my math a few times.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 03:00:50 pm by Mephisto »

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 09, 2020, 03:36:51 pm »

Ran into some odd bug with the server, apparently I've not got the mods installed even though I just downloaded and ran the most recent quick installer.

EDIT: Missed the uninstall step, that's why.

EDIT2: Nope, the mods are buggered. I've uninstalled, deleted everything about the mods I could find in the VS folder, reinstalled, uninstalled, checked, double checked and triple checked the mods folder to see if there was something in there, and there's nothing. In spite of this, the mod loader is showing the (outdated) mods as present.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 03:50:35 pm by Great Order »
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 09, 2020, 03:59:04 pm »

If you're going to pan for metal, keep in mind that the bits you get from panning are significantly smaller than chunks that you find on the ground. I don't recall by how much but it's definitely fucked up my math a few times.
The chunks you get from panning are the exact same you get from picking up rocks.  Mining gives you the big chunks you need a hammer to break to get useable ores.

I got some chalk and borax so I can start working leather and making plaster for my house.  Need bismuth and I'll finally make an anvil.  Got a breeding pair of sheep, just need to keep them fed and then I can start making cheese.  Also need more grass to build my smithy.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 09, 2020, 04:06:02 pm »

The chunks you get from panning are the exact same you get from picking up rocks.  Mining gives you the big chunks you need a hammer to break to get useable ores.

I could have swore panning gave nuggets and foraging gave chunks, which were different sizes. My bad, sorry.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 09, 2020, 05:31:19 pm »

I like how you actually have to put effort into progress in this game.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 09, 2020, 09:31:34 pm »

One thing I've discovered about farming, is rabbits will flock to your crops. Of course, I had the foresight to fence in my patch, so free meat.

I've also captured several sheep, one male and several ewes. And damn do they eat. In the course of one game day, I've filled their trough with a full stack of grass(8 portions, the most the trough can hold) several times, and they just keep eating.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16