Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16

Author Topic: Vintage Story - Better than TerafirmaCraft!  (Read 27595 times)

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vintage Story - Better than TerafirmaCraft!
« Reply #120 on: December 12, 2020, 02:14:00 am »

The server is heading into winter and I've stocked up on crocks full of cooked food.  We're out of most uncooked/pickled food that isn't onions or flour.  Also nearly froze to death traveling a few km to make a surface slate quarry.

Today I had a very good day of mining.  I tracked down some tin that was near the bis I found.  I hit it really fast since it was in a sealed little cave just off from the main cave.  It was a pair of decent sized deposits, enough for nearly 80 bars. 

Only problem is that I'm out of copper.  So I went down into our lake cave.  Unsealed the hay blockage that someone put up, killed the nightmare drifters, and found iron.  So much iron.

The marsh dwarves are in the iron age, but if someone wants to work bronze instead we are going to need more copper.  I traded some tin for copper to make the hammer to work the iron. 

Just need to gather more slate and I can continue work on a windmill.  Going to be a mill and smithy 2.0.

Also agree hard on weather in the game.  I honestly find the game beautiful with it's lighting and atmosphere.  It does lose that certain something though in still screenshots.

We also have green glass, if anyone wants some.  I want some for the mill, but I got more than I need.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 12, 2020, 07:15:18 am »

Grrrr.  Making chain is infuriating when you have cats that can sneak up on you and move your mouse hand at inappropriate times.
I just had to melt back down a ruined piece of tin bronze chain at a loss of 1 bar (the failed piece only melts for 1 bar instead of 2 for a finished piece)
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 13, 2020, 10:59:49 am »

I've built the base for the mill.  Then started the smithy.  Had to canabalize some of the sails from the mill for the smithy.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And yeah, the rope bridge is the only way to get over there.

Winter sucks, I need more slate but I start freezing to death on my way to the quarry.  Also had to travel a few km south to get ahead of the snow to find animals with good weight for the fat to make all the machine parts.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 13, 2020, 01:14:47 pm »

I struck hematite! I don't quite have everything I need to smelt it; I need fire clay for bricks, but I know where a deposit is. Unfortunately, the vein intersected with a cavern, and now there's tainted drifters in my shaft. Oh, and don't throw rocks down a ladder, you're likely to hit yourself with them.

Also, it's a bit cool that as winter approaches, daylight gets shorter. It does make getting things done harder, since I have to go to bed and wake up to being surrounded by drifters.

I can't help but image the drifters as some kind of clockwork horror dolls, because they drop cloth and gears.

Heh. I noticed when killing a few that there's about a quarter-second pause between the killing hit and them taking their death pose. Like it took them a moment to realize that yes, they're dead, and they're supposed to act like it.

Spoiler: Also (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 14, 2020, 04:35:57 am »

For the fire clay bricks, use peat.  Firewood lacks a few degrees, not hot enough, coal is a waste.  Peat has the right temperature.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 16, 2020, 03:45:14 am »

Winter sucks, I need more slate but I start freezing to death on my way to the quarry.  Also had to travel a few km south to get ahead of the snow to find animals with good weight for the fat to make all the machine parts.

Clothes.

IIRC you can use twine or stitched linen to repair clothes, which raises their insulation. I think you right click with it in your hand? Or it might be that you hold the linen in your offhand and clothes in your main then right click?

Regardless, clothes shopping/hunting is a necessity now.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 16, 2020, 10:33:24 am »

Definitely twine, not stitched linen. I've tried both. And you repair them by grabbing the twine on your mouse cursor and dropping on the clothing item. Repairs 10%, which decays 1% per day. I think you get the highest insulation bonus as 50%, but I only had the material to repair one item that high.

I'm also feeling the winter bleugh as well. Berry bushes have stopped producing, mushrooms aren't harvestable anymore. Drifters are spawning with poor weight, though I doubt that affects their loot. I really hope I have enough food to pass the winter. Aside from a few dozen mushrooms and grain, I've got about 16 servings of meat+veggie stew that will at least stay fresh until midwinter. Each serving is at least half a day's ration. Hopefully the local grass sticks around for a while so I can feed my sheep.

Another neat fact, if you throw a rock at water, it skips. Rocks bounce regardless, but it's a more pronounced effect when thrown at water.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 16, 2020, 12:23:24 pm »

Huh, neat! I'll have to try that out.

And I think you're wrong on the linen. I just tried it out and it did a massive repair on my clothing (about 40%). Doesn't seem to be more efficient, but it worked just fine.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 16, 2020, 01:16:20 pm »

Another neat fact, if you throw a rock at water, it skips. Rocks bounce regardless, but it's a more pronounced effect when thrown at water.
Rocks are pretty underrated. They only deal something like one point of damage per rock, but they're lying around everywhere and you get them from breaking stone blocks, so they make for a basically omnipresent throwing weapon. Build a two block-high dirt tower and you can stone things to death from safety. Combine this tactic with a spear, and you can poke said things when they approach to in an attempt to attack. The cheapest cheesy strategy there is.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 17, 2020, 08:47:15 am »

I don't know if anyone here would be into this but VS is going to have a Minecraft Realms-esque system pretty soon. An application is up on the Discord.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 17, 2020, 02:20:45 pm »

Twine repairs 10%, linen repairs 50%, so it's more economical to use 4 twine to make 1 linen for repairing clothing items.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 17, 2020, 04:51:44 pm »

If you put a temporal gear in your off-hand slot, and a knife in your main hand, and hold the right mouse button, you stab yourself.
Dunno if it has any hidden uses.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 17, 2020, 07:47:26 pm »

It restores temporal stability.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 18, 2020, 04:41:25 pm »

It restores temporal stabability.
FTFY
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 18, 2020, 07:44:02 pm »

Yeehaa! Succes!  Managed to pen a male and a female sheep.
Took a few tries to get them to chase me all the way to base, they have a tendency to suddenly give up chasing and run back to where they came from.
They do eat a ton though, geesh.

Now I really need to find salt so I can make cheese.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16