Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16

Author Topic: Vintage Story - Better than TerafirmaCraft!  (Read 26524 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vintage Story - Better than TerafirmaCraft!
« Reply #135 on: December 18, 2020, 09:02:14 pm »

Yeehaa! Succes!  Managed to pen a male and a female sheep.
Took a few tries to get them to chase me all the way to base, they have a tendency to suddenly give up chasing and run back to where they came from.
They do eat a ton though, geesh.

Now I really need to find salt so I can make cheese.

You're not going to be able to milk them until the 2nd generation. That is, the grandchildren of the two you caught. That's going to take awhile; 20 day pregnancy, 14 until the lambs reach adulthood, and then again for the next generation.

As for eating, I don't know the ram's eating habits, but I'm fairly sure that the ewes will eat a total of 8 portions before stopping, before expending those portions getting pregnant. Except for winter, where they constantly eat to maintain body weight.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 18, 2020, 09:38:56 pm »

I've milked gen 1 sheep.  They don't attack, just get stressed and quickly destress then you can try again.  Like one second of stress.  Just keep trying until you get milk.  Think I've even gotten milk from my gen 0 sheep, but I have so many now I should just remove them.

Though that could just be the mods on the server, doubt it though.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 19, 2020, 05:22:34 am »

Though that could just be the mods on the server, doubt it though.

Definitely the mods on your server. I just tried it myself on my unmodded game.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 19, 2020, 11:33:54 am »

How many times?  It's taken up to 10 tries to get milk from my gen 1s.

Edit: I have now made a full set of iron plate armor.  This game needs mounts.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 12:24:37 pm by Shooer »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 19, 2020, 01:18:07 pm »

Yes to mounts. Or windmill powered minecarts.  The distances one needs to travel in this game to find stuff are vast.
I added two hens and a rooster to my collection! Enter the archery age.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 21, 2020, 08:29:54 am »

Another neat fact, if you throw a rock at water, it skips. Rocks bounce regardless, but it's a more pronounced effect when thrown at water.
Rocks are pretty underrated. They only deal something like one point of damage per rock, but they're lying around everywhere and you get them from breaking stone blocks, so they make for a basically omnipresent throwing weapon. Build a two block-high dirt tower and you can stone things to death from safety. Combine this tactic with a spear, and you can poke said things when they approach to in an attempt to attack. The cheapest cheesy strategy there is.
Three high with a spear, stops wolves from jumping at you since I've found they can sometimes hit you on a 2 high tower. Use g to sit down because it'll make it easier to hit anything hovering around the base of a tower.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 16, 2021, 10:34:53 am »

The 1.15.0 Homesteading Update has been released now. No alcohol yet, but from what I gather it's still being worked on since it was a promised feature.

https://youtu.be/ysnZ8BbNaB8

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 16, 2021, 01:30:59 pm »

The 1.15.0 Homesteading Update has been released now. No alcohol yet, but from what I gather it's still being worked on since it was a promised feature.

https://youtu.be/ysnZ8BbNaB8
Long have I waited for this day. We can finally experience the bliss... of smooth stair walking.

The other stuff's cool, too, I guess.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 16, 2021, 03:23:11 pm »

That actually beats vanilla and a lot of modded Minecraft in terms of features.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 16, 2021, 03:27:33 pm »

I do wish they would break down and hire the XSkills/XLib guy or implement official APIs along those lines - that is the primary mod that makes it a full "game" to me (as I like the RPG/EXP leveling system that it adds - getting better at things over time just makes it feel more survival-ey).
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 16, 2021, 03:29:20 pm »

Base game Vintage Story is pretty amazing.

Though I honestly wish they'd just dump the whole 'lovecraftian horror' thing that they've been trying to layer on top of it. Or at least save it until it makes sense to add it in.

Right now they have a bunch of stuff that just works at odds with the game that they're making. Drifters and Temporal Storms don't really add anything interesting to the game and just get in the way of the stuff that makes the current game fun.

Haven't tried most of the mods for it yet, so can't comment on any of that.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 16, 2021, 03:41:27 pm »

Yeah, I'm actually after a mod or setting that allows you to set it so that drifters/locusts can't spawn at all. Closest you have is the 10 day timer, and even then locusts can spawn in it (As I found out when I saw a load of green-yellow lights in the distance when caving)

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 16, 2021, 07:43:30 pm »

Though I honestly wish they'd just dump the whole 'lovecraftian horror' thing that they've been trying to layer on top of it. Or at least save it until it makes sense to add it in.

Right now they have a bunch of stuff that just works at odds with the game that they're making. Drifters and Temporal Storms don't really add anything interesting to the game and just get in the way of the stuff that makes the current game fun.
I agree with the overall sentiment. I don't mind having a threat in the game that forces you to be cautious and prepare before delving into places where you could find cool loot, but right now the combat is so clunky and the enemies are so largely uninteresting that I don't really look forward to interacting with either of them.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 26, 2023, 06:58:34 pm »

https://www.vintagestory.at/blog.html/news/v1180-pre1-lore-update-the-resonance-archives-r342/

New update's around the corner, with a prerelease being done.

A dungeon (The Resonance Archives), more lore, revamped terrain gen with new options, rafts, new doors, butterfly catching, functional bookcases, angled beams (You can set the start and end point so it's not just restricted to specific angles!), a new riftward that stops rifts spawning nearby, and an autoupdater among other things.

It's been a bit since I last played, once the update's out if anyone else is up for it I'd be down for finding a server to muck about on.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 01, 2023, 11:17:28 am »

A few months back I was curious about the state of the game and was surprised to see a new update (1.17) had just been released. It's a shame I can't get any of my friends to play it.

The new terrain generator looks neat. Right now the terrain has tons of really weird rocks that jut up everywhere. There's still an aspect of that but overall it's much smoother than it was before.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16