Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Freeman: Guerrilla warfare. el che be proud.  (Read 18208 times)

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
Freeman: Guerrilla warfare. el che be proud.
« on: February 06, 2018, 05:11:33 pm »

http://store.steampowered.com/app/773951/Freeman_Guerrilla_Warfare/

i decided this game might be worth conversing about.

this game is an incredible mixture of Arma and Mount'n'Blade. you are tasked with controlling the region from the various fighting factions and you start with only a makarov and 10 men, all rookies.
the map lets you control your squads through a rts style waypoint system and you can mix it up yourself but beware! it's fairly hardcore, you can get downed easy out of cover and there's bullet drop to worry about.
also your ammo doesnt come back after each fight; you have to buy new mags/clips/whatever at nearby settlements

it's still in early development but the potential for the game is incredible.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 05:18:12 pm by JimboM12 »
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Freeman: Guerrilla warfare. el che be proud.
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 05:15:42 pm »

PTW
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 05:22:40 pm »

i already have a small protip for everyone:

if you don't reload your start of combat magazine in your gun, that will replenish after battle. if you reload, that's when it removes the magazine from your inventory.

i can already predict Jagged Alliance style massive arsenal mods.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 06:10:38 pm by JimboM12 »
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 08:05:28 pm »

Super early but the potential is indeed incredible. I played enough to buy a semi-auto rifle, and to upgrade a squad to a sniper squad... poor bandits.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 08:13:23 pm »

One important thing to remember: currently, only kills gain XP. Newbie squads cannot promote if they don't get kills, for example if a more veteran squad covering them gets the kills instead.

This applies to you too. You do not gain any experience points if you don't personally kill enemies.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 08:41:17 pm »

Spec in Intelligence early for those Commanding and Leadership skills. Sometimes you'll get a good game roll with small groups of bandits running around, but I've been personally hard-pressed for a start where the early fights are even with your starting capabilities. Putting points in Medic is also good for saving money as time goes on, since it gives your guys a chance of being injured as opposed to killed.

They did a neat thing with the sprint, where you can hold the key (shift by default) down and when you let go you stop sprinting, or if you tap you toggle it. Both are active at the same time and I've yet to see it interfere with me much.

Realistic tactics are very effective. Proper cover, elevation, and positioning are largely more important than troop numbers, and one squad on a good flank can definitely swing a battle in that side's favor. And yes, I say that side's and not just yours because the AI is also surprisingly adept. In a very recent battle I was on a map loaded with hills and valleys. Me and my men were headed for a nice hill when we were engaged by the enemy from a hilltop overlooking our approach to our destination. We wound up having to form a line on the lower hills we were traversing, with me ordering the squads to peel off so we could engage on more favorable terms. I had a squad hooked up with me and we were about to pull back when a good half-dozen enemies suddenly crested over the hill we were on not ten yards away. In a move Anakin would be proud of, these guys had used the low ground to avoid being spotted by my men or myself, so they did not appear on the overhead map, and I could not prepare for them. We lucked out, having a few rocks to use as hard cover, but if it wasn't for that then they definitely would have outplayed us.

Getting killed punishes you almost as badly as Mount and Blade. If your guys were winning they'll probably still win, but you're not gonna get any loot. Despite this, I think once you get a rifle of some kind, which should be your first purchase outside of Volunteers, sticking at the front is your best bet. Not only do you get the firsthand knowledge of what the enemy is doing as well as exactly what the terrain you're dealing with is, but you can also spot movement outside of the range of your guys, allowing you to adjust your forces appropriately well before they get close enough to fire on your guys.

I haven't gotten too far in the game yet, but so far it's been amazing and addicting. I've only fought Looters and their ilk and the Uman Brotherhood, both of which rely more on numbers than skill, so I can't wait to see how a fight with one of the larger factions goes. The Pozni look like they'll be especially interesting, what with how many snipers and recon units I see.

Pancakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels drink: Too insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 08:46:21 pm »

PTW, this looks like it could become something really neat

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2018, 08:51:33 pm »

PTW, and strongly considering buying.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2018, 09:16:11 pm »

I'll repeat what was said before, Intelligence is the god-stat, more so than in M&B even. The extra experience you gain helps you level faster, the extra skill points can give you a better edge than anything else. Especially if those points are put into Leadership(bigger army) and Commanding(bigger army in battle), which, like M&B, are capped at 1/3rd of their base attribute.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2018, 09:19:39 pm »

the most money efficient gun ive found so far is the rpd-97 smg. it uses the same cheap 9mm mags as handguns and it performs almost as good as an assault rifle.

i bet they're going to do a second pass through the guns for balance again, i feel like an akm should be as cheap as any smg, it should hit hard but have generally lower muzzle velocity.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 09:28:13 pm by JimboM12 »

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2018, 10:54:29 pm »

So... a proper modern-day mod for M&B? Color me interested.
Can't splurge on games for awhile (more edu-ma-cation, yay) but I've waitlisted it on ITAD.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2018, 12:55:03 am »

In the epic siege of the Bandit-held city of Berezno, 86 Looters, Brigands, Marauders, and Ne'er-Do-Gooders saw themselves defeated by the New Conglomerate's force of (troop number listed, not squad number) 5 FCA Elite Rangers, 3 Snipers, 6 Machine Gunners, 5 Mercenary Veterans, and 20 Mercenary Militia. We suffered a loss of 10 men, though two were injured and able to recover after battle.

I will say, once you get used to a weapon it can get downright nasty. Right now I'm using an AR41 with 3 points in Rifle Expert and 2 in Steady Hands. Of those 86 Looters and General Scum we defeated, I was responsible for 31 of their deaths. I will admit though that most of those came from a couple lucky grenades pitched over cover and into a crowd of defenders from a very lucky and fortunate one-man flank. I wound up getting cut off by the enemy, but they couldn't kill me since my men were maintaining constant pressure. I can only command 6 squads at a time, and I had 9 with me, so I cycled out wounded and low morale squads with militia so the squads wouldn't wipe.

I'm thinking I'll start fighting the Uman Brotherhood next, since their tactics and troop makeup seem fairly close to the Bandit's. With a couple cities under my command I should be able to move on to a bigger faction. A little worried about fighting the Pozna Batallion, seems like it's gonna be like fighting the Tau. Maybe I'll try gunning for the ARF afterwards if my war against Uman goes well.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2018, 02:54:35 am »

PTW. What attracted me to this was Jimbo's post in another thread, and what got me watching this was future plans from the devs to include female soldiers--finally something following up the 'realistic' marketing, and their plans to smooth out everything currently in game before moving to new additions too.

So... a proper modern-day mod for M&B? Color me interested.
Can't splurge on games for awhile (more edu-ma-cation, yay) but I've waitlisted it on ITAD.
A common review or highly voted comment is "M&B, but with guns!" :P

PTW, and strongly considering buying.
Strongly indeed.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 07:31:57 am by Tiruin »

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2018, 05:13:55 am »

PTW. did purchase as a vote of confidence since the game is already interesting as it is, but watched some let's play and well I really hate games that go without full loot of whatever you kill.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 05:22:32 am by LoSboccacc »

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2018, 07:16:29 am »

Its a little annoying but understandable from a gameplay perspective, youd be rolling in valuable rifles and money would quickly become too easy.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9