Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: Freeman: Guerrilla warfare. el che be proud.  (Read 18191 times)

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Freeman: Guerrilla warfare. el che be proud.
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2018, 05:30:53 am »

I tried it.

I'm a bit sad about the whole early game for now, because it seems that you're meant to stay a long time with a simple pistol (maybe they will change that later).

I'm also disappointed because with this name (and the fact that I usually play PUBG), I was expecting fights in cities and settlements. Right now, even when you attack a town, it seems like you mostly fight out of the city because of how the spawning and moving happens :/

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2018, 06:05:44 am »

It is best not to have high expectations for amount of content in a very early alpha game.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Coolnesstod

• Bay Watcher
  • Drink, Work, Repeat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2018, 02:29:43 pm »

I've found that getting a Glock early on saves A TON of money and mags, as 17 shots is pretty beastly, and the accuracy isn't terrible on it.
All glory to the Hypnotoad.
Random fact: Robin Williams was once addicted to cocaine during the late 1980's/early 1990's.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2018, 04:43:34 pm »

I managed to save up and get a standard AR through something like 3 smallish bandit encounters. Doesn’t seem like a particularly huge deal.

Though to me the number one flaw currently is maps and their internal pacing. It just feels like the generic wildernesss map does not work with Freemen like it does with Mount and Blade. The lack of any real obstacles or cover behind occasional rocks and trees makes all combat feel super samey. I think I heard it uses the same one map for everything, and if it does, I doubt having multiple wilderness maps would change anything.
Stuff like cities and suburbs and villages and towns and other human-touched maps would be great as the majority of maps in my opinion, but that would be weird encountering someone in the middle of nowhere then just spjtaneously fighting in a town. Though it could be possible to make the focus much more on encounters in towns and the like instead of M&B’s overworld encounters.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2018, 04:46:44 pm »

i do see some empty, uninteract-able camps on the map, so maybe they'll include "outposts" to go alongside settlements. maybe even make a giant chunk of the map be a ruined city.

still early but im happy to let them get on with it. i just needed a distraction until Kingdom Come gets released soon.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2018, 05:26:23 pm »

played this a bit. it's weird but the pistol seems way more accurate than smg, even on the first shot. the single combat zone gets stale real fast, but the game is otherwise extremely good for a 0.1
When you get your first automatic weapon, the first thing you're going to want to do in battle in press the button to toggle it to semi-auto fire. You'll find this to be far more effective. There appears to be very little inaccuracy in any gun in the game, the main factor is recoil, so if you're taking single shots any gun can be extremely accurate. However, a faster bullet velocity means less leading moving targets and less estimating for bullet drop, so this will be the primary determiner of accuracy in the game. The other important thing is to find a gun with a good sight: Dot/holographic sights proving much better field of view immediately around the target than iron sights do, and make it far easier to see where your bullets have landed if they drop too much, compared to iron sights where your vision below the point of aim is obscured. I haven't got a scope with a significant zoom factor yet but I can only assume it makes shooting distant targets much easier.

it's more weird than that. looks like pistols and rifles have different collimations, so pistol iron sight is aimed at about 150mt and smg sight at 300, so it's super weird to aim as under 300mt the smg hit significantly higher than what one expects.

https://streamable.com/ci787
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 05:34:06 pm by LoSboccacc »

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2018, 01:59:04 am »

ptw

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2018, 11:24:12 am »

Simple (if exaggerated) explanation: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/40/f3/05/40f30529b94c3d78d973b1c2a734c623.jpg
Looks like they've done accurate ballistics if your observations are correct.

Every weapon intentionally has 2 zeroes. Between these zero points, rounds hit above line of sight. This is why the military trains you to aim center of mass, and not for headshots.
Pistols will have a shorter engagement range than SMGs (here though, both are zeroed *quite* far beyond expected engagement ranges it seems) and thus both zero points are shorter range.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2018, 04:16:03 pm »

does anyone know if settlements with garrisons can auto defend themselves?

im all the way across the map, i do not believe i can make it back to homebase in time.

Nobody answered this so I tested it out.

I left an MG section, a sniper team, five veteran squads, three rifle squads, and 8 militia squads (86 men in total) to defend a town and let a band of 22 Uman soldiers besiege it. I blocked enemy reinforcements from joining the battle but otherwise left the situation to play out on its own. The town successfully defended itself, and in the process lost a single sniper, 5 veterans (all from different squads) 5 riflemen (three from one squad, 2 from another, a third remained at full strength) and six militia (2 from 1 squad, 1 from 4 squads.) 17 men lost in total. It seems like it calculates it the same as field battles after you die and order your men to fight without you, though that's probably much steeper than it would've been if it'd been played out.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2018, 05:20:07 pm »

!science, valuable science!

thank you for providing that info. now i know i don't have to run back and babysit the fort i dumped all my vets into so i can bring the newbies out to level.

!science!
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2018, 05:50:31 am »

On the one hand, the latest update added the ability to take prisoners, and you can (possibly) do things like recruit them, torture them, and execute them.

On the other hand, I loaded up my save to find that my entire inventory is gone except what I had equipped(not counting my ammo belt - that was gone) and replaced with the default start items - including money. My faction information was also erased and replaced with the default flag and faction name("Player").
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2018, 08:13:44 pm »

still getting patched, still amazing.

no updates to the faction war and settlements, which is what im waiting for but the most recent patch fixes the combat ai a bit and also the red zone, now it's arrows of enemy movement instead of a generic hot zone.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2018, 08:21:08 pm »

Yeah I'm still playing. I can also confirm that the AI is much better at fighting now, but seems to 'stick' to enemies a little too tightly now IMO. It's always been hard to get them to intelligently fall back after they're engaged but I find that they tend to stay in a fight longer when they really just need to GTFO, even if set to Charge. Enemies have the same suicidal bravery though so I guess it balances out, even if it does make aggressive plays more risky.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 08:24:10 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2018, 09:06:06 pm »

Loaded it up again, found that my save was intact. Yay.

Managed to capture a single looter as a prisoner, rebuilt his squad and sent them against more looters. Two of them survived. They didn't kill anything, so no experience. Their one saving grace is that they take chump change to get up to decent morale... morale which disappears the second they realize their chances of survival aren't much better with you than they were against you.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2018, 09:44:35 pm »

Pondering Tripping Women
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9