Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: Freeman: Guerrilla warfare. el che be proud.  (Read 18076 times)

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Freeman: Guerrilla warfare. el che be proud.
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2018, 07:59:58 am »

One of their goals is to add some more lower-tier weaponry. In my mind this means we could see weapons actually drop, at least occasionally, since the bandits you farm in the beginning would definitely have the lowest tiers of equipment. Money's also fairly easy to make as is, so cheap weapon drops are unlikely to unbalance the early game, at least from my experience.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2018, 08:15:15 am »

Its a little annoying but understandable from a gameplay perspective, youd be rolling in valuable rifles and money would quickly become too easy.

I know but not entirely agree, since you have mercs to pay and one could just scale that. (besides weapon will not be useful until they also build the concept of party from m&b, since mercs have their own equipment)

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2018, 08:52:31 am »

I suppose its cuz i prefer the hardcore thing of earning an actual gun and picking up an akm from a dead marauder would make it too easy, unless they create quality levels and universally make looted weapons suck. Like a looted ak would perform like a mid quality smg.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2018, 09:16:01 am »

Stuff like that makes perfect sense in real-world scenarios where lower-quality or poorly-maintained weapons have a whole bucket of problems that they can present with. However, this rarely means a whole lot in game terms unless the devs have been very good about coding a very detailed and realistic system for gun mechanics.

Like, guns can jam, pull one way or another if the barrel is malformed, have faulty/shifting sights etc... While in a game, this is mostly just refined into damage numbers.

Also, in a more realistic system, there's always the question of who would actually buy any of those weapons... Which means that they'd all be pretty worthless unless you managed to root out a buyer. And folks like that probably aren't going to be paying full price for a bulk shipment of pre-used guns.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2018, 09:21:01 am »

well it is presented as a post apoc warzone, don't think people would check regs

(btw didn't want this topic to explode in a realism discussion, was just pointing out some personal preference, will eventually have time to check of the game actually works at some point)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2018, 07:39:45 pm »

I just hate how im stuck with a pistol for about 4-5 matches before I can afford a decent rifle. Hopefully without my squads dying from AI dumb.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2018, 07:45:37 pm »

I just hate how im stuck with a pistol for about 4-5 matches before I can afford a decent rifle. Hopefully without my squads dying from AI dumb.
I actually find it fun :3 There seems to be a stealth mechanic present, in that when I (yes I impulse bought it and don't regret it <_< based on biased choices like the promise of female soldiers and part of the dev staff being female and mostly purely because it has tons of potential ahead)-...err, I stationed my few starting squads near trees (because bushes don't give cover despite acting like a block, currently), taking the higher ground, staying away from the red circle [because that 'charge' command is GREAT, much like an 'assault' command, or a 'get here now' command, instead of the 'cautious/move around slowly and look in your LineOfSight for anyone' command], and myself being a flanker with a pistol.

Of course this easily gets you ded, if you engage alone outside of cover, but finding a rock or tree to hide behind and you finding enemies? Helps the early game by a load. I've found in observation that players usually when finding enemies, go straight to shooting them rather than finding cover or appraising their own situation initially. :P Never lost a battle yet (but there are EXTREMELY TOUGH ONES and the AI likes to stab you in the butt where you never expect them at times, that is...really innovative really).

But I do grump at the current mechanic where some squad members don't...stay where exactly you want them, like at the base of a hill rather than the better, upper, more covered, part of the hill. Anyway, this looks greatly filled with potential, and the devs are being cool with communication and otherwise! (And being cheery and engaging too :D)

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2018, 07:55:49 pm »

the starting makarov is surprisingly decent at range; the low muzzle velocity hurts its range but has good accuracy (i know automatics have some spread in the game so far but i don't know if handguns have any natural spread yet) and with some practice you can ping away at enemies from a comfortable distance. upgrade to a better pistol or grab a cheapo smg early; it'll pay off and stay in 9mm until you build a decent buffer, 9mm mags are universal and cheap.
more importantly tho, invest in your men. get your commanding up and leadership up and you're good, then fill your spots with cheap volunteers. improve them when they level up. they will prove a match for the beginner looters and you'll gradually rack up some decent dosh.

(because bushes don't give cover despite acting like a block, currently)

i coulda sworn i saw a bush stop a bullet but there could have been a stump near it. well, it might not stop bullets but it does stop ai pathfinding, lol.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2018, 01:35:07 am »

If the progression for your troops in this game is anything like M&B it's justifiable as spoils of war for your soldiers, because, well, in M&B pressing the upgrade button costed way less than the actual price of the equipment the given soldier got, so I always factored my troop's share of loot in to that (sold, refurbished, scrapped to pay for that shiny new sword)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 01:38:51 am by Vivalas »
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2018, 04:59:58 am »

i coulda sworn i saw a bush stop a bullet but there could have been a stump near it. well, it might not stop bullets but it does stop ai pathfinding, lol.

See, it's not that there's a solid object interrupting the projectile's trajectory, it's just that the bullet got lost and couldn't find its way out.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2018, 05:45:58 am »

See, it's not that there's a solid object interrupting the projectile's trajectory, it's just that the bullet got lost and couldn't find its way out.
KAGUS! Long time no see :P

Also do note in the current patch (0.105...huh! So early!), there's a bug that when you have garrisoned troops and the town is attacked, picking any garrison'd troop will bug out the battle and result in a loss for you (and the death of all those garrisoned troops); best be a mobile army in this stage. :P

Alongside issues on this patch are:
> Uman terrorists being OP and would be modified in the next few patches ._.
> Garrisoned troops taking no upkeep when garrisoned.
> Accuracy is only based on how well you aim (compensating for bullet drop--the faster the velocity, the lesser the drop), and skills only affect recoil or damage.
> Next patches would focus on fleshing out basic gameplay.

And the patch is away \o/ Guess the updating schedule is either daily or every other day.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 09:06:15 am by Tiruin »

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2018, 09:37:29 am »

Yeah, the devs love what theyre doing, theyre working hard, they listen to their community and if any suggestions line up with their vision they'll acknowledge it and add it.
This is an example of a small indie group making a pet project that is done right and i happily support that.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2018, 09:59:21 am »

Patch notes for the lazy!

Version 0.110 Uploaded

Patch Notes

1. Basic weapon customization(Attach scopes. More options will come in future updates)
2. Loot more guns
3. Rebind key of squad selection
4. Default keys of quick save and quick load are changed to F9 and F12 to avoid conflict with default squad selection keys.
5. Reduced the auto combat casualties.
6. Bound map scrolling keys to the character movement keys.
7. Uman bandits grenades instant kill bug fixed.

Got slaughtered by Uman terrorists' grenade bombardment? It is time to put on the optics and revenge! For the next few updates, we will work on bug fixing, balancing, ability to hire/capture other faction's unit and maybe simple missions.

And a linky

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2018, 10:14:41 am »

fantastic, they come around very fast with patches!

rainbowdashfanboi84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2018, 11:22:51 am »

some should do an aar type story to this
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9