Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dfhack is playing dumb  (Read 6222 times)

Grey Goo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Metallic
Dfhack is playing dumb
« on: February 07, 2018, 03:54:39 pm »

I installed Dwarf Fortress, again. I Installed DfHack, again...

Why it complains not finding any plugins? ^^

It doesn't find scripts/plugins like dwarfmonitor...

It doesn't recognize tweak command...

It only finds scripts like gaydar...

And are those binpatch/dfhack-run files supposed even run on a Windows XP? Because they complains not being valid executables and can't really remember if it is necessary to run either them...

And I really don't want to download those lazy packs. 35 hours loadtime ain't worthing just to get few wanted features and throw others away...

So real question is how to fix this piece of shit, before I delete my Dwarf Fortress, again...

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dfhack is playing dumb
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 04:43:03 pm »

You'll want to move this to the mods forum, or just ask in the dfhack thread. Or just play Dwarf Fortress and not bother with a 3rd party unnecessary util if you think it's such a 'piece of shit'. Whichever you choose, general dwarf fortress discussion forum is not where this goes.

Grey Goo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Metallic
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 05:18:38 pm »

I am not Dwarf Fortress player, I am Dwarf Fortress builder. I need DfHack much I need my keyboard and monitor...

And right now one them is acting like piece of shit. No hints to how to fix it, not even from forums...

Got no problem in past, but I don't want to download older versions because lack of interesting features and bug fixes...

So how to stop DfHack acting like piece of shit and make it find those plugins? Manual doesn't say anything, search doesn't give anything. Shooting Hitler either didn't help at all...

somebears

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 05:38:42 pm »

Sounds like an incorrect installation

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 05:40:51 pm »

Also it sounds like you are using XP, which I'm pretty sure doesn't work with DFHack any more, as per this post

Grey Goo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Metallic
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 06:06:16 pm »

Yeah, I have XP. I don't trust newer Windowses at all...

At least it is open source, so... What do I need to compile source successfully with MinGW which come along with CodeBlocks 10.05?...

But at least I don't need compile Dwarf Fortress...

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 06:20:57 pm »

Well the problem is the compiler between DF and DFHack needs to match, and the new compiler doesn't seem to be compatible with XP for the DFHack stuff. As lethesor said (in that post I linked) you could try replacing some of the dll's but there's no guarantee that would work. A better solution might be to use a linux distribution like kubuntu or linux mint and boot them from a usb drive and run DF and DFHack through that, but I'm not sure you will have access to your other software.

XP is over 17 years old now though and is no longer supported by anyone. I can understand not trusting new versions, but you are slowly going to run out of applications that can be run on your computer if you don't find a work around (like Linux)

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2018, 08:18:29 pm »

You're also going to be swimming in Malware. XP isn't getting any security updates anymore. Any security holes are just left wide open. It's probably the least safe operating system to run right now.

Please, do yourself the favor and switch to a decent OS, if not modern Windows then a nice Linux, or DFHack not running will soon be the least of your problems.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2018, 12:14:00 am »

Like Roses said, you have to use the same compiler as DF. That changed to Visual Studio 2015 with DF 0.43.04 (in 2016), so any DFHack versions since then have had to use that. There's a bug in some runtime library from VS2015 that causes queries about individual files to return an error code on Windows XP even when they were successful, which is apparently fixed in some update. I don't think it's something we can fix on DFHack's side without more effort than it's worth (Toady could potentially install and distribute the updated files, though, but I doubt it's worth his time either).

Edit: 0.44.04 -> 0.43.04, oops!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 11:29:47 am by lethosor »
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Grey Goo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Metallic
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2018, 10:49:43 am »

I might try replacing dll's. Can't really use Linux, until I can replace this computer. Albeit better would be unofficial (*wink, wink*) version for a xp. After all, Dwarf Fortress is still running, but I remember one older version didn't.

@Trif

"Sorry, this Malware isn't valid Windows executable."

Or alternative...

"Insert there Mission Impossible tune."

Linux isn't option, and ReactOs is still young (albeit definy will install it when it can run enough apps), so my data gathering and publishing results are going be bit of delayed. Too bad. My megaprojects have been giving rather interesting things out of them...

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2018, 10:53:48 am »

Albeit better would be unofficial (*wink, wink*) version for a xp.
I said that working around the bug (which is caused by Visual Studio 2015) is too much work, partly because I have no way of testing it and Microsoft has provided a fix, from what I can tell. There's no way that an "unofficial" version with a fix would be any easier to create.

Also, every DFHack version since October 2016 (0.43.05-alpha1) has used the same compiler. Have you not used any DF versions newer than 0.43.03 until now?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 10:58:03 am by lethosor »

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Great Ego

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2019, 01:30:27 pm »

"I installed Dwarf Fortress, again. I Installed DfHack, again...

Why it complains not finding any plugins? ^^

(...)

So real question is how to fix this piece of shit, before I delete my Dwarf Fortress, again..."

Long story make short: HOW I RUN INTO THE SAME PROBLEM

O]      I'm yet another pesky Windows XP user

I]      donwload and unzip df_44_12_win32.zip

II]     run Dwarf Fortress.exe and it's working fine ;)

III]    download and unzip dfhack-044-12-r1-Windows-32,
        read the docs and install it on top of Dwarf Fortress

IV]     run Dwarf Fortress.exe and fun ensues :|
        (IOW I get a cascade of error warnings)

Code: [Select]
All plugins present failed to load.
If you are using Windows XP, this is probably due to a Visual Studio 2015 bug.
Windows XP is unsupported by Microsoft as of 2014, so we do not support it.
WTF? You must be kidding! :o

V]     restart my laptop with Windows Vista
        (because dual boot),
        run Dwarf Fortress.exe and it's working fine

OMG! You WEREN'T kidding! :(

Now lets cut right to the chase: HOW I FIXED THE PROBLEM

0)      back to Windows XP

1)      download DwarfTherapist-v41.0.3-win32.zip

2)      extract vcredist_x86.exe from the zip folder

3)      run vcredist_x86.exe in order to update some Windows XP files

4)      go to Dwarf Fortress main folder

5)      rename the (now obsolete) ucrtbase.dll to piece_of.sht
        (or just delete the sucker and call it a day)

6)      run Dwarf Fortress.exe

Code: [Select]
Could not enable plugin: search
Could not enable plugin: stocks

THAT'S ALL FOLKS. :) Enjoy Dwarf Fortress!

Or you can also subscribe to some forum and brag about being a god among men... :D

Just for FURTHER FUN: dfhack-044-12-r2 on Windows XP is the worst. No console window, no GUI window, no error reports, no logfiles. It just refuses to work.
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2019, 06:44:46 pm »

There weren't many things that changed between r1 and r2, so that's kind of weird. Can you try https://files.dfhack.org/190710000/ and see if that works?

Great Ego

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2019, 01:18:53 pm »

Been there, done that. Still didn't work. Thank you for your interest, lethosor.

There weren't many things that changed between r1 and r2

Those were my exact thoughts! So I spend last Easter Holidays messing with the source code.

To not bother you with the petty details: dfhack-044-12-r2 won't run on Windows XP because Signal.hpp - which is required by the brand new 'debug' plugin.

Since I have no use for the debugging, I cooked a not-so-quick and dirty workaround.

o}      download dfhack source code

i}      overwrite or delete the following files
        library/include/Signal.hpp
        library/include/Debug.h
        library/include/DebugManager.h
        library/Debug.cpp

ii}     edit out any reference to the foretold files

iii}    compile the edited source into a nice package --
        I called it dfhack-0.44.12-r2-Windows-XP.zip

iv}     install it on top of Dwarf Fortress

This is what I did during last Easter Holidays, and I've been playing satisfactorily since then. :)

"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2019, 03:49:17 pm »

I do work on DFHack, so I am interested in the details, actually. I wonder if this is the issue - does your machine have SSE? That check only takes place on the build machine, so it could potentially produce code that breaks on machines without it.

I suspect Debug.cpp is where the real issue is - maybe this, since it runs some code in global constructors before pretty much anything else runs.

At any rate, we certainly weren't intending to break compatibility with this change, and apologies for that, but if it's just affecting XP, we don't have the resources to put in to maintain that.

Pages: [1] 2