Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I want to know why my animals are distracted  (Read 1739 times)

alfalfascouting

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
I want to know why my animals are distracted
« on: February 07, 2018, 05:49:16 pm »

I know in general there are bugs like animals being assigned religion.

But I want to see what needs, specifically, aren't being met for my animals, so that I can help them be not distracted.
Is there a tool I can use to view their needs?
Is there any way I can hear their requests?
It's getting very frustrating.

Pancakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels drink: Too insane
    • View Profile
Re: I want to know why my animals are distracted
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 06:46:30 pm »

Unfortunately, animals seem to be very bad at telling dwarves their needs in the current version. Besides, for most needs, like the religion one, even assigning the animal to a temple will do nothing, as the animal has no mouth to talk/pray.

As for which tool to use to see the animals' needs, unfortunately I do not know. Dwarf Therapist may be a place to start, but I haven't used utilities for the game in years.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 09:54:30 pm »

Animals getting distracted is a bug, but it's fixed in the next version.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

alfalfascouting

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 10:40:59 pm »

When is the next version? Or does it not have a release date yet?

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 11:10:09 pm »

Toady never does release dates, but you can follow the bug fixing here: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/changelog_page.php

The list has been filling up nicely, so my guess would be: next release within the week.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2018, 11:08:02 am »

This script shows most of what critters think (when they do think). It's more of an experiment/research than a tool, though. Used on the selected creature.
https://github.com/PatrikLundell/scripts/blob/own_scripts/thoughts.lua.
The most common case of distraction is being religious and having no ability to scratch that itch, although I've also seen alcohol craving.

alfalfascouting

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2018, 01:05:38 pm »

This script shows most of what critters think (when they do think). It's more of an experiment/research than a tool, though. Used on the selected creature.
https://github.com/PatrikLundell/scripts/blob/own_scripts/thoughts.lua.
The most common case of distraction is being religious and having no ability to scratch that itch, although I've also seen alcohol craving.

This is the exact kind of thing I was looking for. How do I use it correctly? (installation & command usage)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2018, 02:35:06 pm »

Like almost all DFHack scripts you put it into the <DF>\hack\scripts folder under the name "thoughts.lua". You then invoke it from the DFHack console window by typing 'thoughts' (without the quotes, and without the extension).
You need to have the unit you want to view in focus, i.e. selected with 'v' or under the cursor in one of the units lists.

alfalfascouting

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2018, 03:28:47 pm »

Looks like this is entirely the religion bug, and not anything I can do anything about. The distracted ones all have messages about being worshippers of so-and-so. Then the script crashes, presumably because animals don't have relationships?
Code: [Select]
df_osx_44.05/hack/scripts/thoughts.lua:1995: Cannot read field historical_figure_info.T_relationships.T_list.anon_3: not found.
Either way, now I know for sure that this wasn't like 2 ingame years ago when I discovered that birds need nest boxes and that's why I wasn't getting any eggs.

Thank you!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2018, 03:44:47 pm »

No, that error is probably because the field "anon_3" has been named in the stable DFHack release. I haven't yet bothered to update, but it looks like I should do so.

Thanks for reporting the problem with that clear message.

Edit:
I've updated the script at the link. However, it seems the named fields are off by one, so I need to create a new pull request to get that corrected in the next DFHack release. Embarrassing!

Edit 2:
OK, I've created a pull request to correct the field naming. Once that's available (which I would guess would be shortly after 0.44.06 is released, provided the pull request is accepted) I'll update the script again to use the corrected field references.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 02:42:20 am by PatrikLundell »

falcn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2018, 05:26:26 pm »

Apparently, my cat is "frustrated after being kept from alcohol for too long".