Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: First fort, breaching the HFS  (Read 1836 times)

johiah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
First fort, breaching the HFS
« on: March 18, 2018, 09:08:03 pm »

So I have been on the forums for a while but I never learned how to play Fortress mode, up until recently.
I plan on ending my first fortress soon, in one of the dwarfier methods available. I want to breach the HFS, and (try to) win.
Just making a post here, wondering if you guys would enjoy reading the event in story form with pictures.
Quote from: AoshimaMichio
Oh no, you won't laser my death star.
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating

thatroleplayerGal

• Bay Watcher
  • Making promises I can never keep.
    • View Profile
Re: First fort, breaching the HFS
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 09:10:09 pm »

Everyone enjoys a good fortress horror story. You'll legit die in minutes, maybe longer if you have a few panic rooms that can hold the demons off long enough til your dwarves die after scrawling their final moments down through engravings. Yes please.
It's really easy to get into Coc; trust me, all you need is one taste of Coc and you'll be begging for more! I wasn't even sure I would like Coc until after I got a taste, and now I'm all about Coc!

Y'know, there should really be a better abbreviation for Call of Cthulhu.

johiah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 09:16:34 pm »

I have a full squad of legendary axelords due to constant training and no real dangers on a relatively safe embark, a squad of hammerlords, and a squad of meat shields recruits with adamantine short swords.
All have steel armor.
Hopefully with a maze system they can fight off the clowns one by one.

thatroleplayerGal

• Bay Watcher
  • Making promises I can never keep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 09:40:09 pm »

I have a full squad of legendary axelords due to constant training and no real dangers on a relatively safe embark, a squad of hammerlords, and a squad of meat shields recruits with adamantine short swords.
All have steel armor.
Hopefully with a maze system they can fight off the clowns one by one.
Depends if the Clowns have acidic dust or secretions. Sometimes they can induce Thrallification, too. And certain Clowns will breed, right there, in your fortress. Yes, that's a thing. Rare, but possible.

Either way, I'd love to see this happen.
It's really easy to get into Coc; trust me, all you need is one taste of Coc and you'll be begging for more! I wasn't even sure I would like Coc until after I got a taste, and now I'm all about Coc!

Y'know, there should really be a better abbreviation for Call of Cthulhu.

johiah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 09:43:45 pm »

Working on setup tonight, and the first pics and initial story setup should be in tomorrow.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 12:03:15 am »

PTW.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

johiah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 08:46:19 am »

What is "blocky gold low boot"?

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2018, 08:57:14 am »

What is "blocky gold low boot"?

Exactly as it says it is. Blocky is one of many random design you can find on exotic gear. I believe it has the same stats as a usual non blocky gold boot

johiah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2018, 09:12:23 am »

It is a fairly useless golden artifact boot. Was hoping for golden breastplate because cool.

johiah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2018, 10:54:20 am »

Sorry for double post, but the main post and the start of the story itself is soon incoming.
Do you guys mind if I make the photos an imgur album?

johiah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2018, 12:34:34 pm »

Album
Journal of Cog Uzolotsus, dwarven mayor of Musclelashed
15th Granite 130, 5 years after the founding of Musclelashed

To those that may be reading this, know that the end is almost certainly nigh. I do not have much time left, and I am writing this on the wall as a testament to the horror that destroyed Musclelashed.
   It had started out an ordinary month, I comforted some grieving dwarves, and finished the accounting and the orders. All of that changed drastically this morning when I received a frantic notification that a fourth cavern layer had been discovered by the miner dwarves while harvesting adamantine. 30 seconds later another dwarf ran in claiming that the fourth layer was not a cavern but hell itself, and that demons were pouring forth!
   I did my best to take stock of the information, ordering all three military squads to station themselves at the first cavern layer. We had been accepting every would be hero and monster slayer to come to our halls, so about 30 to 40 humans and dwarves were running around in the second and third layers killing things. I figured that they would slow the demons down while we prepared.
   They rapidly tore apart the miners and made it to the third layer of the caverns. All the while dwarves are panicking, gathering supplies and attempting to hide, except the military, which has begun rallying on the first cavern layer. Logem Datanegast, legendary axedwarf, pride of Musclelashed, was struck down in the stairwell after a fierce fight with an akylosaurid brute.
   He slew many demons, and is now immortalized forever on this slab. Most of the Barricaded Bows has been destroyed, and many of the would be heroes have also been slain. Already the death list is massive. Despite all the carnage, the frightful strength of the demons, much of our dwarven forged steel armor holds strong. Ustuth Berked, a hammerlord as well as second in command of the Hammertime squad is fighting five demons at once. Every hit that isn't blocked by his shield are absorbed by his armor, save for a single cut to the right lower leg. Sadly, it is hard to fight while burning and eventually Ustuth too fell.
   7 demons bashed at the mica door holding them back from the first cavern layer, and are met by the remaining force of Musclelashed's military. This is the last step before the demons are at our civilians' throats in the dormitory area.
   They failed. Over half of the demons have been slain, but the final blockade was pushed back via aerial support of fire breathing demons, and untested discipline. Only 6 of our military members are still alive, or at least not confirmed dead. It is over.
   The demons swept easily through the rest of the fortress, slaying anyone they found. I fear that they may soon find where I hide and slay me, too. Wait. Someone is outside.
~the text is abrutly cut off. A vaguely dwarven shape seems to have been burned into the wall that you are reading. The engraving in the rest of the fortress's level are illegible, seemingly having been defaced or erased.

OOC:
I am really disappointed. Judging by the battle logs, my elite axedwarves didn't even fight. They just ran away and hid while burning to death. They would dodge or block attacks, but never attacked back. I don't know if it was the ankylosaurid extract or what, but I am kinda sad. Oh well, now I can get to doing community fortresses and the like.

If someone else wants to try to fight the demons, feel free to load the save and tell me how it goes.