Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17

Author Topic: Gods Race Rebirth: Dark (Turn 3, Design)  (Read 13993 times)

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gods Race Rebirth: Dark (Turn 1)
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2018, 04:38:03 pm »

Action:
Research Beastmen (1): Failbird105
Research Etching Darkness crystal ():
Research Mistress of the Unending Darkness (1): Frostgiant
Design Body of Flame ():
Honestly I think the Fireplume Golem is another good idea, but I feel they'd be better as a sort of elite unit, simply because I feel like as is they're going to be too expensive to use in such large numbers, that said, I don't want to vote for them this turn because I feel like they don't really bring much new to the table, they have the shields but that's about it since golems are already something we can do, I'd happily vote for them any other turn unless something more important came up.

My plan for this turn is fairly simple: Research Beastmen, design imp-based minotaurs as a strong frontline unit, and make some sort of adamant weapon for our units (mainly the minotaurs) to wield, since from the way the crystal was described it seems somewhat fragile.

frostgiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2018, 04:45:10 pm »

From the sounds of it, Shadowcrystal makes bad defensive equipment. Too fragile, But put it on the head of a ballista bolt and I'm sure you can get quite the nice shrapnel.

Adamant seems like it will be really expensive to buy mainstream... unless we Make some production structure for it to give discounts and or free equipment.

I really want to get access to the earth plane, if there will be materials to make good armor and good magic to back it up, it will be in the earth plane.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2018, 05:06:09 pm »

The Mistress sounds like it would look like a vampire, and burn like a vampire if exposed to light magic. Still, I like the idea and will consider it. However, I believe we should try something a bit easier first so we can secure something to serve as the wall to our archers so to speak.
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2018, 05:21:37 pm »

So what do you think we should do then? I personally want to go for beastmen(including designing minotaurs this turn for a frontliner) because I feel like it's a good way to expand our current knowledge without being completely outside of our expertise.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2018, 05:30:10 pm »

Beastmen can work out if its done right, though just saying "insert random mundane animal here" might make it a bit less effective. Minotaur's could work however, and be effective, yet they also could be hindered by intelligence if something goes wrong. We could also just go with the theme we are working on and make automatons for front line fighters, or some kind of demons.
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2018, 06:14:16 pm »

The reason it's combining imps and animals rather than just straight up making beastmen from scratch is because I feel that's easier to do. I'm willing to accept the drop in effectiveness if it means that we have an easier time actually creating them in the first place and potentially keep the imps fire affinity.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2018, 06:51:19 pm »

What do beastment add that we don't have, that makes creating a new thing from scratch worthwhile? The primary issue I see with demons is that there is a lot of overhead. Demons generally need a purpose. Imps cause mischief so lack discipline. Succubi have the whole eroticism things going along with the mind-control that you actually want. Big brawny terrors tend to be body-builders rather than athletes and armed with forks and whips instead of hammers and spears... Not to mention that they can only offer their crazy versatility by having a unifying theme of evil and unnatural, which tends to make them consistently vulnerable to certain things and a level of innate biological impracticality that is overcome but at the cost of being more expensive for what you get.

Beastment seem to have the same problem. You end up with something that is restricted to a theme. Cow-men will generally be docile and lack agility because they are cow-like. You can never just have "stronger and tougher" you need to say "bears are strong and tough, let's do bears!" Which ends up with fur that can get caught in armour, barrel-bodies that don't fit in human armour, short legs and hunched gate that are bad for marching...

The minotaur on the other hand is a monster, not a beastman. Neither humans nor bovines are known for eating people, Minotaur loves the manflesh, it was probably a carnivore... The Minotaur was probably about the size a human would be if they weighed as much as a bull, which is kind of crazy. And the strength of the thing, considering that it spent its entire life locked in a maze? There is not much to train the upper-body in a maze...

Trying to research "monsters from ancient Greek and Roman mythology" might be worth it, but that is going to be difficult given how broad a category it is. If we just want animal-aspects to get big bruisers though? We already have demons, just look up some old depictions of hell and find something tough-looking and we get that with our existing demonic licence. No need to diversify into animals.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2018, 07:22:06 pm »

Blackscales: Tall humanoid lizards with razor sharp claws, their name comes from their scales, which are a dark near black grey color, Blackscales have incredible night vision and natural skills at climbing and stealth.
Spoiler: Reference image (click to show/hide)

Action:
Research Beastmen (1): Failbird105
Design Body of Flame ():
Design Blackscales (1): Crazyabe
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2018, 07:46:11 pm »

I can definitely see where you're coming from on beastmen. However you seem to be missing part of the point, which is to have things that aren't demons or golems.

I'd be fine with not going for beastmen, but I don't want to spend this free turn of research just making more things out of what we already have, I want to at least have something that is mostly separate from anything we got from a plane or our starter pack by the time we encounter the enemy.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2018, 08:12:41 pm »

We could go birb, if we want. I kinda was planning on making some at some point anyway....I'll have a design or some such up if that sounds like a good idea.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2018, 08:35:11 pm »

We could try dragons. They are pretty versatile power-houses which are classically depicted as evil. Necromantic creatures have been done to death, but aiming for a "binding of fallen souls into war" thing could work. Ummm... Greco-Roman monsters have a lot of options, though mostly rely upon special tricks, like regeneration or poison or bad-hair-day-itis... they are such a disparate group though that it is difficult to bring them together under a single heading. We could try contagious monstrousness, like werewolves or vampires or zombies or something... acting as a conversion to whatevr else we make and possibly some of the stuff the enemy makes. Or giants, ogres, trolls, something like that. Just D&D trolls would be a solid option. A variant with a new regeneration weakness would be easy enough and some elements can be resisted with equipment...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2018, 05:53:11 am »

If we could get something like an inbetween a champion and regular units I'd support vampires for that.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2018, 08:15:16 am »

We could try dragons. They are pretty versatile power-houses which are classically depicted as evil. Necromantic creatures have been done to death, but aiming for a "binding of fallen souls into war" thing could work. Ummm... Greco-Roman monsters have a lot of options, though mostly rely upon special tricks, like regeneration or poison or bad-hair-day-itis... they are such a disparate group though that it is difficult to bring them together under a single heading. We could try contagious monstrousness, like werewolves or vampires or zombies or something... acting as a conversion to whatevr else we make and possibly some of the stuff the enemy makes. Or giants, ogres, trolls, something like that. Just D&D trolls would be a solid option. A variant with a new regeneration weakness would be easy enough and some elements can be resisted with equipment...
Hmm, while I think Dragons wouldn't be TOO hard to do with our current resources, I feel like they fall into the problem of lacking hands, not that we couldn't correct it I suppose, there's also the possibility that draconic creatures of some variety come standard with the fire plane.
Undead, while done to death(apologies for the pun), would be quite a good option for a basic frontline soldier.
As for greco-roman monsters, honestly I think we'd be better off just trying to design them individually without research for specific roles.
Contagious monsters seem like kind of a full turn project and very likely to be shackled up with some kind of major weakness to stop them from being ungodly powerful, but I suppose they would certainly work.
And just basic Trolls I think would be a rather good idea.

Hmm, alright how about this.
Research: Dragons
Dragons, winged fire-breathing reptilian behemoths, they seem to be nearly a constant in worlds of magic and monsters. It was only natural that our already present leanings towards fire would drive us to look into creatures of their like. This research is, quite simply looking into the creation of dragons and dragon-like beings. Particularly focusing on their firebreath and hard-scaled reptilian bodies.

Action:
Research Dragons (1): Failbird105
Design Body of Flame ():
Design Blackscales (1): Crazyabe
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 08:39:00 am by Failbird105 »

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
  • Its a lie. he is still an escaped lunatic brony.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2018, 07:49:33 pm »

If we were to do dragons, I would prefer to lean away from the classic take on them. Maybe make them far more ape-bodied, possibly thinner to make it lighter or something. Make it more of a sonic breath than a fire breath. But, for now, I prefer to start smaller and work on champions later.
Action:
Research Dragons (1): Failbird105
Design Body of Flame ():
Design Blackscales (2): Crazyabe, Zomara0292
[/quote]
I hear a piranha is good eating.  I have a spear; I'll be fine!
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

They decide that they didn't get paid enough for this..

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2018, 08:02:49 pm »

Actually a vaguely humanoid soldier type is pretty much exactly what I intend to make with the dragon research.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17