Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Veil of Memories (0/5) [OPEN!]  (Read 1003 times)

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
The Veil of Memories (0/5) [OPEN!]
« on: February 07, 2018, 09:13:58 pm »

This can best be thought of as a medieval/high fantasy version of the Persona games, with its own twists. :)

I decided to go ahead post this, rather than spend any more time thinking of how to do some kind of more complex system of mechanics... because quite frankly I don't give a damn. ^^  I caught a spark of inspiration and I'm gonna ride it to the end. Anyone who wants on board, post and roll up a character!

You are a citizen/visitor in Harker's Ford, a quaint but rapidly-growing town that lies astride the river Tearsfall and the new land trade route connecting... actually, you can't remember the name of the nation. You can't remember much of anything, really. And from what it looks like, you aren't the only one. A strange pall of amnesia seems to be affecting the town, causing many who live there to forget about the outside world, and those who visit to lose memory of why they stopped there in the first place, or where they were going afterwards.

Life at the Ford is relatively good so far, but you can... sense... that something is wrong. Disappearances of various people are getting more frequent. Stranger and stranger folk have been entering town, and once you swear that you saw... something... unnatural beneath one of their hoods. A thick, almost palpable blue fog is beginning to cover the town and the land surrounding it, strangely seeming to avoid some buildings or locations where people frequent. Everyone else in the town seems blissfully unaware of what is going on, but you are one of the few who has managed to hold on to enough of their sanity to act, and get to the bottom of this mystery before it is too late.

The time has come to pull back the veil.

Spoiler: Basic rules (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Death/Absence system (click to show/hide)

Parameters for making a character:  (try holding your cursor over underlined text to view more notes)

Name:
Race:
Appearance: (because it's kinda boring for me if I don't have particular character traits to include in my posts, leading me to assume a lot.)
Occupation: (Are you a traveling trader, or scholar? Fisherman? Local militiaman? Tavern waitress? Or simply unemployed? Take your pick.)
Primary power/ability: (Pick 1 (I will roll for this))

Playerlist (0/5)
These slots are not first-come-first-serve. I will choose 5 characters that I like from those who post here to start the game with, any others will be waitlisted. This does mean you aren't necessarily out of luck if you weren't one of the first people to post, though!

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Re: The Veil of Memories (0/5) [OPEN!]
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 09:55:48 pm »

Name: Luke Lyon
Race: Human
Appearance: Medium build, with dark brown eyes. Beard and hair are both black, in the "I haven't seen a barber in months" style that is always so popular on the frontier. Nothing a dwarf would be proud of, but certainly harrier than the human average. His face is sharp and narrow, from his eyes to his chin to his nose. A long scar lies across his left arm, starting on the back of his hand and ending half way to his elbow. Naturally, he has little memory of how this memento got there, but the wound seems shallow enough to be superficial. Usually wears outfits crafted from the local wildlife, as is fitting to his profession.
Primary power/ability: Telekinetic "Limbs". Invisible extremities emanating from Luke's body, capable of manipulating objects at a distance. They act like physical objects, in that they can be dodged or blocked instead of acting instantly. Some uses include: lifting objects with an intangible hand, lashing out with psychic tentacles, or strangling a target with either of the above.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

UristMcChladni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 10:15:01 pm »

Name: Honore Kitt
Appearance: When the Veil took everyone's memories it found a poor harvest in Honore. What was left of his coherence mostly consisted of remembering to shave, brush your hair, eat every day, and look at the clothes you put on before you go out. This left his frail body even more decrepit, and his clothing and hair a complete mess. Most of his earlier memories had faded with the ethereal vapors he inhaled throughout his work, so a draft of the Veil or two was hardly any harm in the regard. So without much to lose, and a faint hope of being able to complete the Philosopher's Stone, Honore chose to breathe deep and live the consequences.
Primary Power/Ability: Veil Distillates - Using the power of the Veil, Honore can extract the true essence of the objects around him. Drunkenness can be taken from alcohol and applied to water for a surprisingly fun party, Strength shifted from steel to skin to protect oneself, and Heat moved from fire to pigeons to satisfy latent curiosity.

Let me know if this works, I can tweak things as needed.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 11:11:48 pm »

Name: Luark Kayoken
Race: Half Gnome
Appearance: Luark is tall for a gnome, having portions closer to that of humans than of the squatter gnomes, yet this is not what draws the stares. Luark is a half-orc gnome, and that's not something you see every day. His skin bears no hint of green, but the pointed ears and small tusklike teeth hint at his unusual ancestry. He is well muscled and quite nimble for gnome, adding a bit of orcish power to the typical mix of wit and dexterity that gnomes pride themselves on. His hair is sandy blond/brown and is shaved short on the sides of his head, the top stands up regardless of what Luark does to try and tame it. His eyes are a sharp icy blue which crackles when he smiles his slightly too toothy smile.
Occupation: Luark is a jack of all trades, having a long list of obscure and mostly useless skills, which all cumulate to "travelling handyman." But that's not why he's here. His riding Pyrenees Winston wandered off and Luark is looking for him. 
Primary power/ability: Luark can take on aspects to change his body. These can be living things, such as a tree to grow leaves, or an elephant to become bigger and stronger. However they can also be other things like water or a length of rope. The degree to which Luark decides to adopt these aspects also maters. For example, fulling taking on the aspect of a frog would turn him into a frog, but partially adopting the aspect would improve his jumping or give him a powerful tongue.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 11:54:12 pm by Roboson »

darkwarlock3

• Bay Watcher
  • !!LET IT BURN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 11:50:33 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I need more things to join, Send me a request if you need players for something.
I came for the games and stayed for the lack of sanity.
Grammar is my only weakness

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2018, 12:17:22 am »

Name: Carling Leveratt
Race: Human.
Appearance: Pitch black hair, brown eyes, sorta thin, and light. Just under average height, with a tendency to wear black clothing if able.
Occupation: Technically thief, but she'll often claim to be a freelancer, willing to do any simple work for some coin or bedding for the night.
Primary power/ability: The ability to be considered and seen as a normal cat by the world around her. While this might seem like only a disguise, it is a good deal more than that (if I roll well); she could crawl through a relatively small space comfortably, see a bit better in the dark, and, interestingly, simply swipe at enemies with her hands to leave relatively large and deep claw marks at close range.
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2018, 12:42:02 am »

Name: Flasia Hidia
Race: Half Elf
Appearance: Flasia is a tall yet lithe looking-Elf with long coiffed light blonde hair that has two frontal curves that reveal they forehead and a ponytail at the end. Indeed she has pointed ears that are blocked by her hair, and has some flimsy bones, and yet remains a human heritage. Her hazel-liked eyes and cropped eyebrows give her a sense of emptiness, yet the hair provides a flowing of belonging. Her pinkish to lightish purple skin is to come from her elvish background, her father was a dark elf and had a darker purple like hue to his skin, and in combined with human skin, creates a light lavender hue to her skin. Her clothing is rather elegant as a way to describe it, she wears a silken robe and yet silken boots because of her traveling occupation, and even has head dress across her head of some religious orientation. Her smile is rough, yet quaint.
Occupation: Traveling Vestal; Flashia performs a solitary job as a adventurous healer and practitioner of the religious arts, and seeks some form of atonement. She knows arts of medicine and herbology, and knows how help and assist fellow travelers and adventures. Though her charity is often taken advantage of.
Primary Power/Ability: She has spent many of years as to become a full-fledged priest, and with corruption of the arts of shadow. Like how followers of the light have access to magic that is considered divine, in a way she believe that the light has betrayed her. She has access to umbramancy, the control over shadows and manipulating them as either a defensive tool or to weaponized them to need to murder them. They are a reflection of the light, they embrace why it is wrong, and seek corruption and derives off the pain (mental and physical) of others.

Hibou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2018, 12:48:25 am »

Hey Shadowclaw, are you sure you aren't telepathic? I hit preview to check out my post and find that you ninja'd the concept.

(No hard feelings though, to be entirely honest I wasn't feeling the clergy-kobold thing anyhow. Now I have a proper excuse to cook something else up.)

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2018, 12:56:02 am »

(No hard feelings though, to be entirely honest I wasn't feeling the clergy-kobold thing anyhow. Now I have a proper excuse to cook something else up.)

(I usually play as paladin or priest (sometimes the barbarian stereotype) like characters, but it seems strange coincidence that we got two priest/healer like characters. Though my character is trying to invert the trope of a “healer”, with darkness magic. I saw roboson, made a half-creature, and was just forced to make a half-creature of my own ;) )

Anyways I hope I’m not secretly a ESP, or I might be found by the 🚔 police

Hibou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2018, 01:31:19 am »

Okay, here we are. A character with a little more pizzazz. I was stuck between an archer type and a spellsword, so I put 'em together.

Name: Munya Utet
Race: Tengu
Appearance: Munya is, like all Tengu, fairly comparable to an overgrown raven. She is covered in sleek, black feathers that are slightly iridescent in the right light. She sports a number of claws on the end of her scaled hands, and an equal amount of talons from her two avian feet. Like all Tengu, these are all the limbs she possesses, as she lacks wings and is incapable of flight. Munya is rather short for her kind, standing at about three and a half feet tall. Her head and facial features are slender and follow a natural curve from the point of her beak to her pair of black eyes and then back towards a tuft of horizontal feathers hanging off the back of her head. Around each eye is a ring of white feathers, making the black spheres stand out even more in contrast. Though she might not remember, she artificially bleached them early on as a way to help non-Tengu better distinguish herself from the rest of her kind.
Occupation: Jeweler's apprentice. Munya worked under the tutelage of a skilled craftsman, learning to fashion all manner of rings and amulets for discerning buyers.
Primary power/ability: Steelsinging: With the use of her voice and metallurgical background, she can bend, levitate, and move metals. This takes the form of complex vocalizations, which the pitch, tempo, and volume determine the behavior of the materials she's focusing on. With a flitting, quiet melody she can bend a wire into a specific symbol or word. A deeper song with more gravitas can turn the knob of a door from a distance. A low, constant whistle can cause a fork to float a few inches off the ground or twirl a dagger in the air. Elevate that whistle to a piercing scream and she can turn a drawer of cutlery into a bomb, or send a man dressed in armor flying.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2018, 01:51:26 am »

Ah. I remember this. A shame I’ll likely be too busy in the next week or so to reliably participate.

LucidRain

• Bay Watcher
  • The sun is at least 12 meters long
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2018, 08:08:04 am »

Edit: I decided to ninja-change my character before it's looked at, since I'm using Veris for another thing;

Name: Lux Regia Caecus
Appearance: Bleach-white hair with streaks of black. His pupils are silver, and anyone looking at him would know what he's supposed to be blind. He's very small and appearance (and admittedly his attitude as well) childlike, but he insists that he's old enough to go on adventures. He wears a blue mage's coat that's a little too big for him and has a dagger in self-defence.
Status: Traveller from a distant land, only in pitstop at the Ford.
Occupation: Scholar. Words of the blind are highly regarded in his homeland, and he has somehow made his way into a mage apprentice status, helping a cohort of magi document magic across the land.
Primary Power: Soul Sight - Lux can "see" his surroundings in the form of a silvery landscape, though not in as clear detail as normal sight. However, this form of sight gives him some non-visual information, such as the properties of objects, weaknesses in enemies and a general awareness of events around him. He's confused as to how he's aware of these informations, sometimes describing as if something or someone is telling him so.

((Keeping Veris here for posterity))
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 02:05:22 am by LucidRain »

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2018, 12:58:19 am »

Name: Honore Kitt
Appearance: When the Veil took everyone's memories it found a poor harvest in Honore. What was left of his coherence mostly consisted of remembering to shave, brush your hair, eat every day, and look at the clothes you put on before you go out. This left his frail body even more decrepit, and his clothing and hair a complete mess. Most of his earlier memories had faded with the ethereal vapors he inhaled throughout his work, so a draft of the Veil or two was hardly any harm in the regard. So without much to lose, and a faint hope of being able to complete the Philosopher's Stone, Honore chose to breathe deep and live the consequences.
Primary Power/Ability: Veil Distillates - Using the power of the Veil, Honore can extract the true essence of the objects around him. Drunkenness can be taken from alcohol and applied to water for a surprisingly fun party, Strength shifted from steel to skin to protect oneself, and Heat moved from fire to pigeons to satisfy latent curiosity.

Let me know if this works, I can tweak things as needed.
Looks good! Very good, actually. I never would have thought of "taking the drunkenness out of alcohol". That's like either the best, or worst talent ever to have at parties, depending on whom you ask. At least your designated driver doesn't have to be left out anymore!

Hmm. A tortle. Never heard of them, but they remind me of lizardmen. Also seems like one of those 'wild races' I'm a bit wary of, but still, it's not as crazy as a cold metal Warforged golem! I'll let you know later if I decide I like it enough. It's got a rather poetic bonus, still, when you consider you fine troupe of Awakened 'coming out of your shells' and slowly realizing your innate powers... heh.

The rest of these look pretty interesting as well, though I'm a little too tired at the moment to properly focus on them. Tomorrow should be a much more free day, though! If anyone else wants to pop in with a sheet, or edit a current one, then between now and tomorrow evening (US Central time) would be best. I will pick five and close out sometime this weekend. Cheers!