Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magic should be procedurally generated, but it should also aim for some logic  (Read 735 times)

ShinyandKittens

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok can’t really be much different from Arceus..
    • View Profile

For example, if you generate a moderate-magic world, the generator should aim for more generic magic such as wands and amulets. Currently it sounds kinda chaotic and that fits more chaotic generator choices.

Also, magical abilities should also be based slightly off of spheres, for example stuff with the FIRE sphere should aim more towards heat and fire.
No amount of mods is too much

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile

Nah, everything will be procedurally generated. It's possible you'll get generic magic by chance, but it's a low chance.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

If I recall, generic vs. utterly alien was a possible slider decision. IIRC it was more along the lines of "raws only" vs "everything procedural", so in the former world you'll get dwarves who are at war with goblins who use their axes to attack their enemies while eating plump helmets and the occasional fireballing-spewing wizard would pass by, while in the latter world you'll be playing as urdis who are at war with the nadak and use their logem to attack their enemies while eating agak, with the occasional blood mage coming in who will turn your avus into ajo.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile

I'd just crank all magic-related sliders up to the maximum amount and watch the bloodbath.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

I was actually sorta meaning to illustrate that if you get too procedural it all becomes kinda meaningless, but if you can make magic only 100% procedural then that would be fun, yeah.