Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Waterskins for Monster Slayers  (Read 1575 times)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Waterskins for Monster Slayers
« on: February 08, 2018, 09:00:48 pm »

Monster Slayers often have a long treck down to the caverns. I've watched them arrive, start hunting, then leave after a few seconds to treck back to the fortress for a drink. Since they take a lot longer to do their job than hunters (lots of chasing around before combat can begin), this makes them pretty ineffective.

Arm them with waterskins, or have them pick up fortress ones to give them a bit of staying power. If they can refill from cavern water, all the better.

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Waterskins for Monster Slayers
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 05:26:05 am »

Deny their petitions and drop them into the caverns on their heads. Problem solved.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 05:28:53 am »

Then...I don't have...any monster slayers? So nothing solved at all. But thanks for the input!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 06:04:19 am »

I find Shonai_Dweller's suggestion to be sound.

If they've got drinks, they probably should have food as well, and maybe the could "cook" slayed critters for food as well?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 06:34:30 am »

Why not make a booze and food stockpile down there with them? Sure, someone would still need to haul barrels/pots up and down, but only once per X number of drinks.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 06:36:01 am by Reelya »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2018, 07:31:58 am »

Why not make a booze and food stockpile down there with them? Sure, someone would still need to haul barrels/pots up and down, but only once per X number of drinks.
A drinks pile in the cavern would be good if they used it, but I find that pile logic often doesn't work, and folk down in the caverns will track to a pile far away. Or the tavern, of course.
I guess this could be part of a general 'residents item access' rules with backpacks, bolts and such included.

I like the idea of them butchering and cooking crundles on their own camp fires too. The more they act like real adventures the better in my opinion.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 07:34:02 am by Shonai_Dweller »

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2018, 09:20:40 am »

As much as i like the idea, its a problem of posession of the corpse, does it belong to the hunter personally or does it belong to the fortress?

If they were to stand over it and giblet it into meat then cook it over a little campfire, that's fun but how do we clean up after that or if its interrupted? Same goes for if its not handled correctly and dwarves start to cart away the body/item objects before the hunter has even finished.

It'd be a nice little bit of flavour for monster hunters to use contextual adventurer actions.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2018, 10:22:21 am »

As much as i like the idea, its a problem of posession of the corpse, does it belong to the hunter personally or does it belong to the fortress?

If they were to stand over it and giblet it into meat then cook it over a little campfire, that's fun but how do we clean up after that or if its interrupted? Same goes for if its not handled correctly and dwarves start to cart away the body/item objects before the hunter has even finished.

It'd be a nice little bit of flavour for monster hunters to use contextual adventurer actions.
If anything's "not handled correctly" it's a problem. We suggest with the assumption that it's handled properly. "Stuff not working" isn't the way Dwarf Fortress is supposed to be in the end, as amusing at that is at times.

Lesurous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2018, 05:30:19 am »

In my limited experience with Monster Slayers (Free Cannon Fodder), I love them. Though, amongst the waterskin idea, would make sense to have them fully equiped for travelling. Also, maybe have them be in pseudo squads? Makes better sense for a group of Monster Slayers to attack a Forgotten Beast than just one measely swordsman.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2018, 10:50:28 am »

In my limited experience with Monster Slayers (Free Cannon Fodder), I love them. Though, amongst the waterskin idea, would make sense to have them fully equiped for travelling. Also, maybe have them be in pseudo squads? Makes better sense for a group of Monster Slayers to attack a Forgotten Beast than just one measely swordsman.
Yeah, it would be good if they came equipped like adventurers, with their own waterskins.
Working in a group makes sense, but there should probably be some who actually prefer to take 'death and glory' by themselves too.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2018, 09:54:50 am »

Either way the hunter would be able to eat the corpse, so which it belongs to does not matter.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2018, 04:52:44 am »

Oh good. The thread is unlocked. Yay.
Better add something useful then...

So, perhaps a whole new area for setting equipment and such for all the independent fighting types (I guess that's just hunters and monster slayers right now) would be useful. Access to fortress waterskins, backpacks, bolts (already there for hunters), weapons, armour. Allow them to constantly swap to the best available like military squads, or limit them to only using their own stuff (would need to ensure monster slayers arrived with their own waterskins, backpacks, etc).

Making campfires and sleeping rough outside or down in the caverns would be good too.

Right now monster slayers don't need a tavern to turn up, but do they get upset if they don't get a room to sleep in? Would be good if they didn't.