Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Non-dwarf citizens on missions can get... distracted  (Read 878 times)

mispy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Non-dwarf citizens on missions can get... distracted
« on: February 25, 2018, 02:07:41 am »

The fortress of Dawnspire is pretty multicultural. I have an adventuring party lead by a macedwarf, with my favorite human axe mercenary Ruslan, and a few goblin and elf poets we trained to wield swords.

In 325 I sent them on a mission to recover a bismuth bronze mace called Crabfame. They quickly succeeded!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

However... only the dwarf squad leader made it back. The rest of the group was nowhere to be seen, listed as "travelling" even after months. Eventually I assumed they were lost forever due to a bug and disbanded the squad.

...a year passes... and then:

To my great surprise, Ruslan returns! Still no sign of the rest of the squad; instead, he has this random human ranger buddy with him. (the humans worship some god called the Angel of Defense)

Where has he been? Where did this other guy Ohe come from? Who knows! But Ohe seems happy to be here:

Dwarf Fortress is mysterious. I hope the warrior-poets make their way home eventually too.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 02:21:04 am by mispy »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Non-dwarf citizens on missions can get... distracted
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 02:12:44 am »

The ranger was a prisoner. They get rescued during raids (whether or not they being to the dwarf's civ). You don't need to specifically give rescue missions to end up rescuing people.

Check out Legends to see what's going on. Very mysterious that your raiding party got split up though. :)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 02:14:15 am by Shonai_Dweller »

mispy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Non-dwarf citizens on missions can get... distracted
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 02:36:50 am »

Checking things out in Legends mode, it seems the entire squad went off and settled in a recently reclaimed hamlet up north, which is where they met Ohe:

There's nothing in Ohe's bio that suggests he was a prisoner though... in fact, he's visited us a couple of times before. Maybe he just really doesn't like hamlets.