Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: want some challenge. which one is funnier?  (Read 2239 times)

Timmi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
want some challenge. which one is funnier?
« on: February 09, 2018, 01:23:28 am »

HFS or terrifying biome? which one should I try first to level up me?

and I don't wanna challenge them unprepared, please do give advises to help me survive lol

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: want some challenge. which one is funnier?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 01:34:29 am »

I haven't as much personal experience as some the people here, but generally speaking I think surviving an evil biome is easier, assuming that you manage to set things up right. Bring weapons/armor on embark (or at least bring metal bars and coal so you can make them). Get everything underground and secure your entrance AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. It's often useful to build a "fright barrier" wall around where you're going to build your fort when you start, so your dwarves don't see the zombies/husks on the other side of the wall and start running around scared.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 01:56:52 am »

You can always channel the essence of LoudWhispers, and do BOTH at the same time.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=146908.msg6803858#msg6803858
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 01:58:54 am by wierd »

Timmi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 02:37:40 am »

You can always channel the essence of LoudWhispers, and do BOTH at the same time.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=146908.msg6803858#msg6803858

lol this is extremely fun but I have to thrive in evil biome first before using them invade hell.

BTW it looks like taking place in older version. will it still work in current one?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 02:52:28 am »

No idea!  But you can be the first to find out. :P

Timmi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2018, 03:13:48 am »

No idea!  But you can be the first to find out. :P
any idea where I can find efficient methods dealing with these stuff? don't wanna try naked :)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2018, 03:22:54 am »

You can always PM LoudWhispers.  He is very active in general discussion. He is British, so consider the timezone-- but if you are interested in trying the Epic Fun of sending the undead to Hell, he will probably give you all the pointers you need.

His other exploits include NecroBacon, using necromancy to increase pork yield, and various others.  He's your man. He is a wealth of information on how to effectively harness and abuse reanimation and necromancers for fun and profit. Has several fortress contraptions in well polished states he can relate to you.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2018, 07:18:05 am »

If you try an evil biome, avoid any undead that are dwarf-sized or larger. An undead kangaroo will kill a dwarf very fast because it is big and fearless and immune to pain. First priority is a door or floor hatch since undead animals cannot open them.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Timmi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2018, 11:32:48 am »

You can always PM LoudWhispers.  He is very active in general discussion. He is British, so consider the timezone-- but if you are interested in trying the Epic Fun of sending the undead to Hell, he will probably give you all the pointers you need.

His other exploits include NecroBacon, using necromancy to increase pork yield, and various others.  He's your man. He is a wealth of information on how to effectively harness and abuse reanimation and necromancers for fun and profit. Has several fortress contraptions in well polished states he can relate to you.
thx a lot!

Timmi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2018, 11:33:57 am »

If you try an evil biome, avoid any undead that are dwarf-sized or larger. An undead kangaroo will kill a dwarf very fast because it is big and fearless and immune to pain. First priority is a door or floor hatch since undead animals cannot open them.
thx for the point

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2018, 03:12:26 pm »

Timmi, here a challenge for you. I tried it once, but gave up on part of too crazy low fps.

Embark on evil forest biome with death fog/mist and _aquifer_ (a must!) and all leveled terrain. No hills. You get those by sea I think usually.

Bring many stones with you for mechanisms.

Not from your fortress but from outside dig up/down stairs from surface to all 3 caves, lava sea and hell. You will need to sacrifice one miner from one of those 2 hard coded waves.

Prepare for FPS to go to hell.

End goal: build 50/60x50/60 tiles bunker 4-5 floors high in the middle of the embark and cure all your Dwarves from cave adaptation.

What you think? :)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 03:14:33 pm by Sarmatian123 »

Civillain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel!
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2018, 06:45:50 pm »

It depends how much challenge you're looking for, but if you're looking to test yourself then HFS is definitely tougher than an evil biome. It might also be worth looking to see what habits you have and banning yourself from them for more of a challenge if that's what you want. For example, I used to barely train a military and just rely on long trap corridors. Banning myself from using traps provided plenty of challenge!
I put Dwarf Fortress videos on the internet https://www.youtube.com/c/Civillain

Timmi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2018, 09:52:27 pm »

Timmi, here a challenge for you. I tried it once, but gave up on part of too crazy low fps.

Embark on evil forest biome with death fog/mist and _aquifer_ (a must!) and all leveled terrain. No hills. You get those by sea I think usually.

Bring many stones with you for mechanisms.

Not from your fortress but from outside dig up/down stairs from surface to all 3 caves, lava sea and hell. You will need to sacrifice one miner from one of those 2 hard coded waves.

Prepare for FPS to go to hell.

End goal: build 50/60x50/60 tiles bunker 4-5 floors high in the middle of the embark and cure all your Dwarves from cave adaptation.

What you think? :)

That will be too much fun for me at the moment lol

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2018, 10:58:07 am »

I have heard the summons!

I haven't as much personal experience as some the people here, but generally speaking I think surviving an evil biome is easier, assuming that you manage to set things up right. Bring weapons/armor on embark (or at least bring metal bars and coal so you can make them). Get everything underground and secure your entrance AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. It's often useful to build a "fright barrier" wall around where you're going to build your fort when you start, so your dwarves don't see the zombies/husks on the other side of the wall and start running around scared.
This is basically 10/10 advice for evil biomes.
Personally I'd recommend doing a savage neutral biome to get a proficient grasp of the game mechanics before going on to evil biomes, just because evil biomes add a lot of stuff which reduce a lot of playstyles you can use without dying horrendously hilariously. I say that because it might be more fun making one of these whilst fending off giant wildlife and goblins with risky strategies than hiding in a hole underground, being forced to take the safest strategies (because gloomy murk is no joke)

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2018, 04:49:45 pm »

What I look for recently is where preferably north Haunted biome borders Mirthful or Joyous Wild to the south. 

Then I try to mimic Castleblack and the Brotherhood of the Watch in Game of Thrones. 

Bonus if it snows and stay frozen on the north where I build an wall of ice.

Yeah, I plan to build above ground, but I start building underground to food, drink, and a tavern.
Pages: [1] 2