Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: want some challenge. which one is funnier?  (Read 2242 times)

Timmi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: want some challenge. which one is funnier?
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2018, 03:40:21 am »

I have heard the summons!

I haven't as much personal experience as some the people here, but generally speaking I think surviving an evil biome is easier, assuming that you manage to set things up right. Bring weapons/armor on embark (or at least bring metal bars and coal so you can make them). Get everything underground and secure your entrance AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. It's often useful to build a "fright barrier" wall around where you're going to build your fort when you start, so your dwarves don't see the zombies/husks on the other side of the wall and start running around scared.
This is basically 10/10 advice for evil biomes.
Personally I'd recommend doing a savage neutral biome to get a proficient grasp of the game mechanics before going on to evil biomes, just because evil biomes add a lot of stuff which reduce a lot of playstyles you can use without dying horrendously hilariously. I say that because it might be more fun making one of these whilst fending off giant wildlife and goblins with risky strategies than hiding in a hole underground, being forced to take the safest strategies (because gloomy murk is no joke)

Wow! Those legends are true lol
I've been play in a evil biome for quite a while and then I find out that it is not reanimating biome. What a mess.
I'm rechoosing embark now. But that happen quite often. How do I examine before embarking on a wrong place?

And I still have trouble in the first few months. What should I prepare first? Meeting zone? Stockpile for cavaran? And the evil clouds and rain sometime shows too quick that I almost can't secure my stuff in time

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2018, 01:16:40 pm »

Wow! Those legends are true lol
I've been play in a evil biome for quite a while and then I find out that it is not reanimating biome. What a mess.
I'm rechoosing embark now. But that happen quite often. How do I examine before embarking on a wrong place?

And I still have trouble in the first few months. What should I prepare first? Meeting zone? Stockpile for cavaran? And the evil clouds and rain sometime shows too quick that I almost can't secure my stuff in time

It takes testing out what the biome will be like, so it's worth having a backup of the new world, and a backup of the embark from day 1.

Or, check the worldgen cookbook thread with these challenging biomes already made. 

If day 1 shows a pack of undead, then the immediate thing to do is dig down and try to haul supplies in, then have a way to seal / lock.  normal undead usually cannot break doors down, so it can be locked sooner until a bridge is lever linked. 

Evil clouds do not go below surface and remains in the biome for the most part also. 

Nefarian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2018, 09:10:59 am »

HFS or terrifying biome? which one should I try first to level up me?

and I don't wanna challenge them unprepared, please do give advises to help me survive lol

I'd go for the terrifying biome, maybe close to a tower, if you want a constant challenge.

I personally find that the HFS depends too much on rng and it can become incredibly boring/easy if you know what you're doing. It's either incredibly boring when you find spectral clowns made of steel with poison/acid secretion and you just end having the entire lower caverns filled with them and killing everything, or incredibly easy with no-secretion clowns made of fog/mist that end up being oneshotted by a child throwing toy mini-forges at them...
Pages: 1 [2]