Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Merging Meph & Vordak Graphics w/ Phoebus Tileset?  (Read 10013 times)

tnuhnivad

• Bay Watcher
  • <dorf> has been possessed!
    • View Profile
Merging Meph & Vordak Graphics w/ Phoebus Tileset?
« on: February 09, 2018, 09:04:18 pm »

I really love the Phoebus Tileset, but, the creature graphics are just not so great IMO. So I've been playing with Meph's tileset pack lately and find the opposite to be true. I had the idea to merge the two through the latest LNP. I managed to make it happen by creating a new folder in M:\PeridexisErrant's Starter Pack 0.44.05-r02\LNP\graphics and merging the respective files. As well as replacing LNP's dfhack with Mephs custom dfhack included in his pack. Everything seems to be working and It looks just as I wanted! The animated grass, vordak's dwarves, the round tress of phoebus, etc. Only found two issues so far. The first being the creature graphics have a black background wheres playing with the standard meph pack creature graphic backgrounds become transparent to whatever tile is behind them. Does anyone know what I can do to make this change? Also, albeit very minor, the LNP show this new pack I put together as Phoebus x16. I guess because I used the phoebus original pack with the LNP as a base? So I have two phoebus x16's now under the LNP graphics interface menu. I figured out which one it is, but, wish I could change the name. If anyone knows any other problems that I may run into please let me know and how I could possibly fix them!  :)

https://gfycat.com/AdorableIlliterateIrishredandwhitesetter

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 01:03:31 am by tnuhnivad »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Merging Meph & Vordak Graphics w/ Phoebus Tileset?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 09:09:29 pm »

So you are using the painstakingly made 32x sprites with a 16x tileset?

Heresy! :P

(Try adding "twbt unit_transparency 1" and "twbt workshop_transparency 1" to the dfhack init, without the "". That should get rid of the black background.)

I'd be curious about screenshots.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

tnuhnivad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 09:18:45 pm »

(Try adding "twbt unit_transparency 1" and "twbt workshop_transparency 1" to the dfhack init, without the "". That should get rid of the black background.)

Thanks for such a quick reply! I definitely failed to consider taking graphics from a 32x to a 16x. This is all new to me, will they scale or will I run into issues by doing this? BTW No hard feelings though I love your work!

tnuhnivad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 09:23:40 pm »

Just realized I grabbed the wrong dfhack files

edit; Fixed, Thanks Meph! I'll upload some screens of some better forts than mine lol

« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 09:39:12 pm by tnuhnivad »

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 09:42:00 pm »

I agree with Meph about "twbt unit_transparency 1". This will fix the black background on creatures. The workshop transparency might be interesting to test, but Phoebus hasn't received any updates involving that feature.

To change the name, open the manifest.json in Notepad++ and change the title line. Also delete the entire "prefix" line. Then rename your new graphics pack's folder so that at least the first word  matches the new title (this is actually important to avoid a bit of confusion with a little bug). 

tnuhnivad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2018, 11:15:41 pm »

I agree with Meph about "twbt unit_transparency 1". This will fix the black background on creatures. The workshop transparency might be interesting to test, but Phoebus hasn't received any updates involving that feature.

To change the name, open the manifest.json in Notepad++ and change the title line. Also delete the entire "prefix" line. Then rename your new graphics pack's folder so that at least the first word  matches the new title (this is actually important to avoid a bit of confusion with a little bug).

When I make copy the phoebus graphics pack in M:\PeridexisErrant's Starter Pack 0.44.05-r02\LNP\graphics and merge the respective folder from both packs, and, dont touch anything else, leaving the name and all, everything works great. However, for some reason changing the title and removing the "prefix line" basically in the manifest.json file screws everything up. I am able to change the name and all that works fine, but, when I boot up the game things are missing, fonts return to default, weird overrides occur, etc. Just going to try a stock install of DF and see if that will be easier messing with the LNP just doesn't make sense to me.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2018, 11:52:43 pm »

Did you rename the "Phoebus copy" folder to something that matches the new title you gave it in the manifest? This step is important.

tnuhnivad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2018, 12:22:35 am »

Did you rename the "Phoebus copy" folder to something that matches the new title you gave it in the manifest? This step is important.

Yep, I made it exact to match the manifest, but, changing the name, for some reason, is whats causing it to do things like revert completely back to Meph's full tile set, revert back to stock font and world map tile set, etc.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2018, 12:42:44 am »

Do both the title and folder name start with a capital letter? It's a little bit case sensitive.

The new name isn't too similar to any existing title, is it?  If it's named something like "Meph+Phoebus", that might cause an issue. Also, it's probably best to avoid spaces.

tnuhnivad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2018, 12:57:35 am »

Do both the title and folder name start with a capital letter? It's a little bit case sensitive.

The new name isn't too similar to any existing title, is it?  If it's named something like "Meph+Phoebus", that might cause an issue. Also, it's probably best to avoid spaces.

I just realized this is pretty much impossible, right? I mean with the overrides and everything? Like phoebus uses a completely different .png image. I couldn't make this work unless I edited the images myself. Even w/o all the workshops and decorations and what not, displaying more than one type of elf, dwarf, goblin etc. can't even happen? Like I just noticed a lot of the tiles in my map in screenshots from earlier have randoms things like tables, chairs, and beds. I guess do to them being different images lol

tnuhnivad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2018, 01:03:01 am »

BTW trying to figure this out gave me a great new perspective on just how hard this is and how complex and good your set is. Thanks for trying to help though I had no idea what I was getting into honestly!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 01:33:40 am by tnuhnivad »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2018, 04:37:50 am »

Well, if you take the phoebus raws and the phoebus tileset and overrides, it would work. If you take the overrides from my set, it wouldnt work. So for example you can't have the phoebus tileset and meph items/plants/gems, without massive issues.

The creatures should be no problem though, since they use raw/graphics instead of the tileset or overrides.

On the screenshot the phoebus tileset is strechted to 32x, so it's quite blurry. I'm sure a proper upscaled version of it exists somewhere around the forum.

Last point: When you do screenshots, save them as PNG, not as JPG. They'll be larger, yes, but with JPG you get compression artefacts. It doesn't look as good.

Edit: Really the last point: Moebus set. :D That would be a unique name with no spaces. I can already see the icon for it. :D
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Vordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2018, 04:46:35 am »

If follow the path of such a combination - then you need to scale phoebus tiles to 32x without blur (in Photoshop it names Nearest Neighbor (preserve hard edges)).
Some tiles need to redraw, example, why scale floor tile if you can multiply it 4 times.

Edit: Really the last point: Moebus set. :D That would be a unique name with no spaces. I can already see the icon for it. :D

Just Moe set.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 04:50:03 am by Vordak »

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2018, 09:29:06 am »

Instead of scaring Phoebus, you might also be able to use the "twbt tilesize 32 32" command. I think it has a similar effect.

tnuhnivad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2018, 12:51:04 pm »

I'm using the Phoebus along w/ jecowa's TWBT overrides. No more cloths, beds, and cabinets in my world map, woo-hoo. I'm also using a slightly altered version of spacefox colors, just adding to my conglomeration of pilfered things from other sets I like the most lol.

Well, if you take the phoebus raws and the phoebus tileset and overrides, it would work. If you take the overrides from my set, it wouldnt work. So for example you can't have the phoebus tileset and meph items/plants/gems, without massive issues.

The creatures should be no problem though, since they use raw/graphics instead of the tileset or overrides.

On the screenshot the phoebus tileset is strechted to 32x, so it's quite blurry. I'm sure a proper upscaled version of it exists somewhere around the forum.

That is a shame regarding the plants because I really like the Meph Plants! I'm using the only file for a 32x phoebus I could find. I found it in the LNP graphics pack. Although, still does look blurry but I play quite zoomed out most of the time so it doesn't bother me as much as it might some. I also kept your uber shadows which I like very much.

If follow the path of such a combination - then you need to scale phoebus tiles to 32x without blur (in Photoshop it names Nearest Neighbor (preserve hard edges)).
Some tiles need to redraw, example, why scale floor tile if you can multiply it 4 times.

I haven't bothered to look at resizing in a photo editor yet. It seems daunting and not sure exactly what you mean. Redraw, as in, setting redraw in dfhack? Or is that something I would do in photoshop?

Instead of scaring Phoebus, you might also be able to use the "twbt tilesize 32 32" command. I think it has a similar effect.

Is this a command I would use in dfhack or the .ini's?

These were captured after I made some more minor color changes (greys' more grey and whites more white lol) and they do look more blurry than in game, though, despite saving them as PNG's.
Dragon Fire GIF in Object Test
https://gfycat.com/SeriousMinorGermanshorthairedpointer

Jecowa's Overrides World Map

Spacefox Colors

Embark

Caverns

Not sure if this is grammatically correct lol

When I have the time to sit down and make some real progress on a fort I'll try and upload some better fort screens.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 02:31:27 pm by tnuhnivad »
Pages: [1] 2