Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Convince me to like Adventure Mode again  (Read 1699 times)

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
Convince me to like Adventure Mode again
« on: February 23, 2018, 08:37:00 pm »

I have lost interest in Adventure Mode. And it's not as if I had defeated a fortress, a tower, and a vault and then decided "there's nothing left to do"; I've never gotten close to doing anything like that, but it still seems like there's just not much to do in AM that isn't just a lot of the same activities that merely look different because of the different histories from worldgen. Especially compared to the opportunities for creativity, engineering, and !!science!! available in Fort Mode.

So, please re-convert me.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Convince me to like Adventure Mode again
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 08:45:31 pm »

I have lost interest in Adventure Mode. And it's not as if I had defeated a fortress, a tower, and a vault and then decided "there's nothing left to do"; I've never gotten close to doing anything like that, but it still seems like there's just not much to do in AM that isn't just a lot of the same activities that merely look different because of the different histories from worldgen. Especially compared to the opportunities for creativity, engineering, and !!science!! available in Fort Mode.

So, please re-convert me.
Why? Play something else. Convincing someone that an alpha game which is probably 10% feature complete (Adventurer) is worth their time seems like an exercise in futility.

Play, report bugs, make suggestions for how the future plans could be implemented. Or don't.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 10:01:23 pm »

I once killed someone by crushing their throat with their own vomit, if that holds any appeal. Mods can be fun too, playing any creature in the game is really simple.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 03:59:06 am »

see Adventure mode Science and megaproject is mostly what Drives me, mainly in the What Can you do in adventure mode in any means necessary. which also means using Fort mode to get access to stuff you can't normally get in adventure mode, both modes have their uses and with construction
Spoiler: a bunch of examples (click to show/hide)
overall I take the motto of "Losing is fun, but now it personal" to heart with every start of adventure mode, if I end up not getting any new discovery then I got a story out of it at least, and often not if said discovery ends up HORRIBLY crashing the game then it a caution tale.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 04:09:38 am »

I have lost interest in Adventure Mode. And it's not as if I had defeated a fortress, a tower, and a vault and then decided "there's nothing left to do"

Edit : Ah,shit, misread.

Adv mode is, to me, the core of the game because it allows you to experience the world outside of the small scope of a fortress,but it indeed only make sense if you actually care about the said world. If you want challenge, just play as a peasant ? Else if you want to do anything else, you can, play as a bard, play as an insurrectionist, play as a outborder mercenary for your fortress. The possibilities are endless but you need to figure out what you want to see happening in your world first.

Thing in DF is the same as in every sandbox game. There is no overaching quest that tells you who the bad guys are, what the challenges are supposed to be and what your quest is supposed to consist of. You need to set that for yourself. Take some time to do some Legend dive. I garantee every world is different and not just in aesthetic fashion.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 04:20:28 am by Cathar »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 12:44:53 pm »

It's true that once you see everything to see, there's not much attracting anymore as if it comes to survival aspects there are other games that do it better, for roleplay aspect there are other games that does it better, for exploration it's the same... etc...

Additionally the interest of your world is very linked to what random worldgen will actually produce
The sandbox nature of adventure mode is a bit too limited in current version in term of the possibilities (and the bugs and serious performance issues that may make some otherwise interesting feature completely broken or not working as they should very likely does not help as it limit seriously your fun) to live up to what you expect from reading other people "romanced" posts about their adventures.

Hopefully once some of the planned stuff for adventure mode finally get into the game, things will change and the adventure mode will live more up to its potential.

Meanwhile out of taking a break out of the adventure mode while waiting for it to be improved, i agree with giving a try to a peasant instead of a hero/demigod start, sure your stats/skills will be really low and due to how stats/skills max are limited by their default value a long lived peasant character will still suck, but it's important to notice that npc have different reactions to your peasant character in comparison to your hero/demigod ones leading to a slightly more "lively" world.

And games threats are actually threats when you're using a peasant start instead of just yet another easy "challenge" , avoiding the boring routine feeling to kick in too early.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 12:46:25 pm by Robsoie »

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2018, 01:06:04 pm »

I have lost interest in Adventure Mode. And it's not as if I had defeated a fortress, a tower, and a vault and then decided "there's nothing left to do"

It indeed only makes sense if you actually care about the said world.

I've decided to look into legends a bit more about people I meet. Sure enough, it's becoming interesting, because I can interact with people who were important in the history of the world, instead of just killing J. Random Megabeast because it's there, has stats, and seems evil.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 01:07:41 pm by Eschar »

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2018, 03:19:10 pm »

I see adv mode as a tool to nudge history as I see fit. You need a vision for your world tough. I couldn't just fiddle around; and now that I think about it, adventure mode is really unfit to just play and see what the game throws at you (kind of sad but hopefully this won't be a perpetual state and the game will become better at nudging US to stories, stories that could become so omnipresent that the only pain will be to actually choose).

So in essence I agree: except killing adv mode lacks game mechanics.
let

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2018, 08:39:21 pm »

I've decided to look into legends a bit more about people I meet. Sure enough, it's becoming interesting, because I can interact with people who were important in the history of the world, instead of just killing J. Random Megabeast because it's there, has stats, and seems evil.

This is the first time in years I manage to change someone's mind about anything :')

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2018, 08:56:50 pm »

This is the first time in years I manage to change someone's mind about anything :')

Even on Bay12?

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2018, 09:36:27 pm »

I try my best not to go into debates here. Maybe people are more receptive than elsewhere, but other forums I went to are like... trigger happy with the banhammer, and the local dramaqueens are BFF with the mods. It's very different here but since I like this place I'm not taking any chance :D
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 09:38:38 pm by Cathar »

Lioneez

• Bay Watcher
  • Challenged.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2018, 02:01:31 pm »

Divine metal my friend, set a quest to get that and drop it at your fortress on your way you can also make him a vampire or a werebeast, drop him near the human capital or the elfs home town, start a fortress and read the fun, honestly the fact you can play fortress mode and adventure at the same time makes it all the more interesting.