Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Speed  (Read 1055 times)

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Speed
« on: February 11, 2018, 12:11:10 pm »

I've just started playing adventure mode after many years of fortresses, and my first puzzle: what determines base walking speed? I know armor and encumbrance affect it, but even if I don't change what I'm carrying or wearing it seems to vary enormously (like from 1.0 to 0.2 and back).  Doesn't seem to be tied to hungry/thirsty/tired (unless there is some hidden stat I can't see).  Any science on this?

Fruitsbrain Weapon-tosser

• Bay Watcher
  • I must leave!
    • View Profile
Re: Speed
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 02:14:13 pm »

I've just started playing adventure mode after many years of fortresses, and my first puzzle: what determines base walking speed? I know armor and encumbrance affect it, but even if I don't change what I'm carrying or wearing it seems to vary enormously (like from 1.0 to 0.2 and back).  Doesn't seem to be tied to hungry/thirsty/tired (unless there is some hidden stat I can't see).  Any science on this?
Just to be sure, make sure none of those slow situations are when you have been forced prone by something else in the same space. Would need to know more about your situation to determine what the cause is, but everything that can effect movement speed includes carrying too much, wearing too much armor while lacking the necessary armor user skill, being Tired/Drowsy/Starving/etc, being Winded/Sick/Stunned.

Take note of everything going on next time it happens, take a screenshot

Kamdiere

• Bay Watcher
  • [PERMITTED_JOB:SPINERATOR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 09:44:22 pm »

When you're not being slowed down, rate of speed depends on your creature's gaits, which is in their raws somewhere. I'm not sure if the 1.0 speedometer is a multiplier on your currently-used gait or if it's how many tiles you can move in a set amount of time.
Performing oral sex is like thinking rationally: all humans are technically capable of doing so, but most can't do it well and few choose to do so on a daily basis.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 06:40:44 am »

(like from 1.0 to 0.2 and back). 

You're prone. (s)tand up and you'll recover full speed

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 11:25:41 am »

Ah, looks like prone was definitely part of it.  But there must be a little more - for instance, right after I wake up (and stand up) my movement is 0.2, and then a few ticks later it is 0.3?

FourierSeries

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 11:45:11 am »

Cumulative movement rate, or speed, is taken into account in the current version. If you keep moving in the same direction you will build up speed until you are going as fast as you can. Likewise, if you change direction you will slow down a bit, more so with more radical changes in direction. All of this is most noticeable when your gait is set to sprinting.
I don't think losing guts actually kills you, you just throw up and pass out and bleed to death.
This was supposed to be a cool upgrade. All I got was more hostile zombies.

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 03:43:44 pm »

You also start off stunned immediately after waking up, which gives you a temporary penalty to speed.