Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Noob questions from a returning player - hunting/butchering, fishing, meals  (Read 2475 times)

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: Noob questions from a returning player - hunting/butchering, fishing, meals
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2018, 03:30:00 am »

Inorganic armor can also get damaged if dropped on a refuse pile (by a dwarf that just finished a Haul Refuse job and is starting a Pickup Equipment job).

As a jest, what if dwarf traits effect the rate of wear for clothing? Maybe Orderliness matters? Who hasn't seen teenagers with bedrooms that have clothing on the floor, that they step on as they run about.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2018, 06:12:26 am »

It can be mentioned that clothing made from Candy DOES wear as regular clothing does, while armor of any type only gets worn through damage (combat, fire, refuse pile, time [if applicable]). Also note that leather ARMOR doesn't get worn by being worn, while leather CLOTHING does, so it's not a matter of organic vs inorganic for wearing wear, but rather the type/classification of the wearable.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2018, 12:24:02 pm »

I kinda hoped that clownite wear issue had been fixed already. Apparently not.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2018, 08:21:26 am »

Flux doesn't seem to be getting detected properly when looking for a site to embark on. I only embark on sites that have a flux layer listed but now it's a coin toss whether flux will actually be available. A flux stone is also listed in green under z -> stone directly post embark.

I also try to embark on sites with just one biome that are flat, but I will still get like half a square filled with another biome and with slopes on it on occasion.

Are these known issues or did I mess up my raws somehow? And I don't think I did since I didn't mod anything related to minerals or materials. I only adjusted the mineral abundance setting to max in the worldgen parameters.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 08:24:30 am by assimilateur »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2018, 10:22:50 am »

DF claiming resources are present which are not is a known issue (there are bug reports for it). DF appears to just look at the geo biome and doesn't take elevation based erosion (clay, aquifer) or bottom cutoff due to the location of the magma sea (flux, deep metals) into account.
The DFHack plugin embark-assistant (introduced in the latest DFHack release) does predict these correctly (as far as I know).

Biome boundaries are "jagged", as are elevation boundaries (which, I believe have the same boundary). This means you get "spill overs" from what's in adjacent tiles. Thus, to ensure completely flat embarks, ensure the embark rectangle is surrounded by the same elevation, and the same goes with biomes (I typically try to get as many biomes as possible (and use tools to ensure I get the maximum 9 [it might be theoretically possible to reach 11 through use of a combination of spill overs and latitude biome determination, but I don't know if actually works that way]). Getting spill overs is not a bug, but a result of the info displayed by DF being incomplete and tied to the "official" biome of each mid level tile (the ones translating into 48 * 48 in game tiles), but the boundaries are not known before embark because DF doesn't actually generate this level of data before that time.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2018, 04:36:28 pm »

I seem to have read that the embark assistant in DFHack was pretty dodgy. The couple of times I embarked with no flux I used DFHack to substitute a layer or two for flux, trying not to mess it up too much, only substituting sedimentary minerals for other sedimentary ones, etc.

I sorta figured that embarking away from biome or cliff "borders" would help and I tried to do it like that whenever possible, but apparently not always.

I'm curious as to why you're trying to get several biomes on your map. Isn't that supposed to be buggy and laggy?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 04:38:29 pm by assimilateur »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2018, 04:58:30 pm »

embark-assistant is a new plugin as of the latest DFHack release, and I haven't heard of any reports of bugs, apart from my own (I wrote it...), so you might be referring to something else?

I haven't heard anything about multiple biomes being worse than single ones in terms of either lag or bugs. The reason I want multiple biomes is that I want to make every kind of booze known to dwarf. It's also the only chance to get partial aquifers (which I usually don't get anyway). A bit of evil weather and a bit of good is another aspect (my current embark had evil rain with a tuberculosis syndrome, i.e. permanent coughing of blood, so my fortress is painted in blood...).
A significant FPS drainer is trees, but all tree supporting biomes have the same junglified end state: it's only the rate of junglification that differs.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2018, 05:02:07 pm »

Gotcha, maybe I'm being paranoid.

A significant FPS drainer is trees, but all tree supporting biomes have the same junglified end state: it's only the rate of junglification that differs.

Are you saying that as long as trees still grow it causes lag? So lag-wise it would be optimal to have them grow out as much as possible and then only cut low amount of wood as needed?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2018, 01:49:03 am »

No, the more trees you have, the more FPS drain you get. My long term strategy is to floor over most of the surface and the caverns to stop the appearance of more trees than you need for booze production and long term logging. That's a very slow process, though, as I struggle to process all the invaders...

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2018, 10:31:52 am »

Gotcha.

Anyone here use the Mayday tileset? I've got a weird issue where the dark green color apparently gets substituted by dark blue. That results in vomit appearing blue instead of green, and I think also cloth dyed emerald has the same color. Looking at the RGB values and putting them in an online calculator, the green color seems to check out as, well, green. I'm pretty sure I had this issue years ago as well.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Are plant gathering zones broken somehow?

I'm asking because my herbalist is seemingly obsessed with harvesting fruits off trees in my gathering zone even after I have removed that zone. Until I got rid of all stepladders he would also climb those trees while seemingly ignoring other plants to be gathered around them. Using step ladders would also result in "stuck in tree" alerts (I think that's a DFHack feature).

I have now designated other plants for gathering - through d->p and not another activity zone - and at least those plants are now getting gathered, but not until my herbalist made a stop at the old trees he used to harvest from.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 05:58:39 am by assimilateur »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think gathering activities already initiates and/or scheduled won't be affected by the removal and/or change of a zone.

You might have tried removing the herbalist skill from the herbalist, unpause, pause, and then re-enable it to see if that triggers a recalculation.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I only got him to stop gathering there when I removed the herbalist job from him. Thing is, when I then reenabled it months after initially disabling the job and removing the zone he still went straight for the old zone. Afterwards he did recognize the new designation, but without it he would presumably still be gathering in his old zone.
Pages: 1 2 [3]