Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Constant rain in red sand desert- no water is coming down  (Read 969 times)

Edrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Constant rain in red sand desert- no water is coming down
« on: February 11, 2018, 03:47:37 pm »

I've got a bit of red sand desert on a map with several biomes including a freshwater marsh.
It rains constantly according to the interface, although I don't see any water falling from the sky. Using dfhack script weather, I learned that, strangely enough, the rain is supposed to be over the desert part, not the marsh part. I can only clear the weather with the script. Whenever I make it rain, and wait for it to stop, the rain status never gets away once the rain stops. This problem is the reason why I searched and found the script, so it is not a glitch of the script.
The biomes are all temperate, IIRC.
I cannot find any post on the subject anywhere.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Constant rain in red sand desert- no water is coming down
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 04:50:04 pm »

What's the biome of the world tile to the NW of the embark?

The reason for the question is that DF has a bug that causes the sky to be of the biome of the world tile to the NW of the embark's world tile, rather than that of the embark's tile, and at least evil rain in the sky never reaches the ground.

This DFHack script changes the biome of the sky to that of the embark's world tile, if that's of interest.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 01:20:42 am »

The desert is in the south. It seems the NW biome is mountainous. There is no evil biome anyway, a bit of joyous wild or mirthful, and the rest is untamed wilds I think. Evil rain only occurs in evil biomes, right?
And I got snow, now. The red sand part is supposed to have snow too, according to the script, but there is no snow on the desert tiles.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 01:22:39 am by Edrin »

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 01:28:14 am »

Yes, I've got this [edit: rain constantly being indicated] in my current fort too.  No desert in mine though.  For something over a year in game it has said 'rain' in light blue on the bottom left corner.  Most of the time it hasn't been raining though.  The announcements that the weather has cleared or it has started raining have been accurate as far as I've seen but the indicator stays on.  Worth noting that it was raining on initial embark.

To lazy to try to narrow things down and make a proper bug report.  ::)

I've vague memories of previously seeing this behaviour in game, though I could be mistaken on that.

(Is it possible that this is related to the siege status not clearing properly sometimes...? I dunno.)

Edrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 03:00:18 am »

About the siege status, my fortress never had a siege, and I don't even had a siege or even seen a goblin, elf, human or anyone not from my own civilization on this computer yet, after a fresh install. So it seems unlikely to be related.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 02:21:50 am »

(Is it possible that this is related to the siege status not clearing properly sometimes...? I dunno.)

Nope. The rain indicator is a DFHack feature (dwarfmonitor) that reads the same stuff the "weather" script reads, and the siege indicator is a DF thing that looks at other things, and is affected by bugs such as http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=10572. (So it's not a UI bug, and even if it were, the indicators are implemented differently, so it'd be very unlikely for the same bug to show up with both.)
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 09:40:16 pm »

Ah, thanks for that, on both counts.

My embark biome layout is:

Investigating my seasonal saves with weather.lua shows (in all cases bar a couple) persisent rain isolated to the SE corner of the map.  (No rain is shown as falling graphically but I am using a somewhat unfamiliar tileset so I'm not sure if it shows rain...)  However there are ponds in that corner that are dry/half-dry and have not filled up at all during a year of 'rain', at least as reported by weather.lua.

CCCCC
CCCCC
CCCCC
CCCCC
CCCCR

(the two exceptions are
CCCRR
CCCCC
CCCCC
CCCCC
CCCCC
and
CCCCC
CCCCC
CCCCC
CCCRC
CCCCR

Of note is that showbiomes http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=160856 shows that the SE corner is the only map tile not to be completely covered in the air by biome 4 (diiferent biome world-tile NW).  For 5 z-levels the two local biomes (2,3) extend into the air.

Also it's clear my limited understanding of rain is being exposed.  If the anomaly was in a biome other than the central one it might make some kind of sense.  I thought rain was implemented on a per biome basis but it seems that it is (much) more 'fractal' than that.  Is each 16.x16 tile region of the embark capable of having rain or not by itself?  And weather announcement refer to precisely which 'bit' of the map?

p.s.  I also tried searching a bit on mantis but it has been repetitively bugging out on me today returning blank pages (like most times when I try to view all issues...).

p.p.s.  Big sigh.  Another day of wasting my time struggling to try and report niggling issues rather than actually playing.  :(

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 09:49:54 pm »

p.s.  I also tried searching a bit on mantis but it has been repetitively bugging out on me today returning blank pages (like most times when I try to view all issues...).

Go to "My View", click "Recently Modified", and search from there. You probably still have a search active that's eliminating most/all results. This can happen especially often if you're not logged in there.

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2018, 10:11:19 pm »

Go to "My View", click "Recently Modified" [snip]
That didn't work.  Logging in did.  :)

Edit: just to confirm that I found nothing reported there that seems connected to this - outside of (perhaps?) the biome/shear issue Patrik talks about above.

At this point it looks like either, a vanilla issue related to that, or the data that weather.lua/dwarfmonitor relies on is being picked up incorrectly.

Edit: p.s. I'm probably remembering seeing this before when I had weather turned off back when I had a crappy machine.  Definitely not the case now, on either count.  :P
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 10:59:49 pm by feelotraveller »

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2018, 11:16:21 pm »

Did it say "Viewing Issues (1 - 50 / 10569)" before searching? (The last number might increase a bit, of course.)

At this point it looks like either, a vanilla issue related to that, or the data that weather.lua/dwarfmonitor relies on is being picked up incorrectly.
Definitely not a DFHack issue. It's just reading from a 5x5 array, and as of 0.44.01 we know the location of that array with 100% certainty. I also confirmed with Toady a while ago that it's still 5x5, because of issues people were having like this.

Now, it could be the case that those tools are interpreting this data incorrectly, if its meaning has changed subtly. It does reflect the current weather most of the time, though.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2018, 11:35:58 pm »

Did it say "Viewing Issues (1 - 50 / 10569)" before searching? (The last number might increase a bit, of course.)
No.  There were no issues listed before searching.  Other than the top section of filters, set to any/all, there was nothing listed below, just a blank space.  I think it might have said "Viewing Issues (0/0)" or just "Viewing Issues" but I'm working off memory here.  And yes I tried repeatedly for some time, including closing the browser down and reloading the page.  (It did work initially but then went blank when back-paging to it after clicking through to a report.)  However after logging in I had no problem making a number of searches.  :D

Yeah, okay, on the rain anomaly, I don't know what is causing it.  I'm just reporting what I am seeing in my game.  Got any 'hunches'?  (p.s. very tired right now so excuse my moodiness...  :) )  I'm all out...