Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can fortifications act as an item separator?  (Read 805 times)

Timmi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can fortifications act as an item separator?
« on: February 12, 2018, 06:19:28 am »

I'm playing in a terrifying territory with aquifer, and I think drown chambers will be efficient enough because I think there's is no invaders who can survive a drown chamber (even some of them can swim, but they still will drown). the only problem is that if I don't ATOM those bodies, they will become undead. but I do want Goblinite income. so is there anyway I can do to separate goblins and Goblinites?
or can I simply sink them to cavern lake if they won't be able to land when reanimated?

and I'm also considering how to detain as many invaders in the drown chamber as possible, especially when a massive siege. Pressure plate related to downfall bridge can achieve that but it's a little bit buggy. I'm considering a flooding system which can serve as delaying invaders from fort gate as well as rush Goblinites and goblin bodies close to Fort for looting and ATOMing.

Edit: I come up with the idea of fortification, which allows items pass, don't know if it blocks corpse as it blocks creatures when not submerged.

side view
[Aquifer layer]
Water
=Bridge1=ri
[Door]→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→
----------------------------------------------------↓
||Bridge2||←←←←[F]||Bridge||←←←←←
XXXXXX[Grate]
========Bridge3================

old design(side view):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 09:14:37 am by Timmi »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can fortifications act as an item separator?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 11:52:38 am »

Titans don't drown, and undead don't either (nor do vamipres, but the don't come in sieges).

When it comes to Goblinite, if all you really want is iron and steel, magma is the way to go, as it removes all the junk plus the bodies (again, titans are immune to magma).

Personally I use cage traps against everything that isn't trap immune.

I don't know if fortifications work as separators: my experience is that stuff can get stuck in them. Also, fully submerged fortifications can be swum through.

Colonel Sanders Lite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 08:09:23 pm »

My experience has been that corpses, and corpse pieces, are items and any condition which will cause an item to go through a fortification will also cause a corpse to do so as well.

I certainly would be interested to know if you can demonstrate that this is incorrect though.

Timmi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 12:56:57 am »

Titans don't drown, and undead don't either (nor do vamipres, but the don't come in sieges).

When it comes to Goblinite, if all you really want is iron and steel, magma is the way to go, as it removes all the junk plus the bodies (again, titans are immune to magma).

Personally I use cage traps against everything that isn't trap immune.

I don't know if fortifications work as separators: my experience is that stuff can get stuck in them. Also, fully submerged fortifications can be swum through.

Transport magma will be a megaproject...
Will Titans siege?

Timmi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 01:01:53 am »

My experience has been that corpses, and corpse pieces, are items and any condition which will cause an item to go through a fortification will also cause a corpse to do so as well.

I certainly would be interested to know if you can demonstrate that this is incorrect though.

Guess u'r right.
Maybe man-power dumping's the only solution

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 02:49:40 am »

Titans arrive and rampage, but there's no "siege" indication and they don't come in groups, so whether you call that a "siege" or not is a matter of semantics.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 04:21:11 pm »

You can even keep other metals if you limit the time in contact with magma. IIRC, the preferred method involved dumping magma down a staircase of goblins. Just enough time to set stuff on fire.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 04:22:51 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Timmi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018, 11:10:29 am »

You can even keep other metals if you limit the time in contact with magma. IIRC, the preferred method involved dumping magma down a staircase of goblins. Just enough time to set stuff on fire.
So I just set up a magma fall on their way to the fort?
will they keep charging on when they burn? how far should I set the magma fall in order to collect goblinites while not risking they coming too close?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2018, 10:26:38 pm »

So I just set up a magma fall on their way to the fort?
will they keep charging on when they burn? how far should I set the magma fall in order to collect goblinites while not risking they coming too close?
The relevant thread is here. The pictures are all gone, though, because they used imageshack.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?