Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14

Author Topic: Slay the Spire - Deck-building to Death or Glory  (Read 26290 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Slay the Spire - Deck-building to Death or Glory
« Reply #135 on: September 30, 2019, 09:56:05 pm »

... isn't that just the dump-miracles-on-you card? *checks* Ah, apparently not. 25% current health for choice of gold (probably the only one worth that cost, eyeballing it), strength, or plated armor. Upgrade just increases the values. That. Does not seem at all worth, save maybe as some kind of low HP clutch thing. If you got reliable (and hefty) healing it might be an okay cash maker, though.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 01, 2019, 08:16:59 am »

... isn't that just the dump-miracles-on-you card? *checks* Ah, apparently not. 25% current health for choice of gold (probably the only one worth that cost, eyeballing it), strength, or plated armor. Upgrade just increases the values. That. Does not seem at all worth, save maybe as some kind of low HP clutch thing. If you got reliable (and hefty) healing it might be an okay cash maker, though.

And the Watcher doesn't have much healing. The only healing I know of (other than generic stuff everyone has) is the heal 4X health card. She is not the Ironclad. Might be interesting for one of the hybrid runs (getting Miracle on the Ironclad might work out ok).

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 01, 2019, 08:30:03 am »

Yeah, you'd need relic and/or colorless (bandages) support for that one. Mods would help on that front, but vanilla it's a pretty sketchy proposition. Deva with the 4x heal and a stall inclined deck might be able to manage things, I guess? That's asking for deva, wish, and the heal card all in one run, though. And the means to play them effectively. It's a bit of a stretch, heh.

E: Man, I forget. Is the xylophone a vanilla relic? The one that lets you turn a 0 or 1 cost card into a X cost card. That plus deva form could get pretty ludicrous.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 08:38:10 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 02, 2019, 06:22:30 am »

Won the fourth boss for the first time. Silent with dexterity, shivs and draw-discard. Finding both the Kunai and the Shuriken is probably what made that deck so powerful.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 02, 2019, 10:03:29 am »

Won the fourth boss for the first time. Silent with dexterity, shivs and draw-discard. Finding both the Kunai and the Shuriken is probably what made that deck so powerful.

Nice. Silent is one of my favorites, but I've never managed to get shivs and also the +damage for shivs cards/relics (wrist blade) together on the same run. The fourth boss seems like they fight well against the "play piles of free attacks and deck manipulations" decks (which are fun decks), but also improve slowly enough that even those decks can win. The Time Eater is a pain for those decks, as well.

Poison/defense is a fairly easy deck to put together, especially if you can get a calipers, thread and needle, or something else that gives more consistent defense. Fights get long with the poison deck, and with more rounds, you're more likely to have an unlucky draw where you don't have the necessary defense. Tradeoffs, right?

Which character has the power that does damage every time they gain block? That's a pretty hilarious combination (only defensive cards and powers, and that defense is your offense).

Also, I don't do the daily challenges enough. I just finished Watcher starting with cards from all 3 colors (the non-block/strike cards were zap from blue and bash from red), normal enemies drop relics instead of cards, and a third thing I can't remember. You build a deck way differently when you know you probably will never see the cards you need to take advantage of combinations. Especially when my strikes were doing 10 damage un-upgraded with the strike dummy. I had a lot of relics and a few decent powers at the end, and ended up just skipping turns occasionally against the Time Eater. Doing nothing at all still let mantra build up, and the ice cream cone meant I still gained the energy. It felt like I was fighting the Time Eater like I am "supposed to." Doing the minimum to get the maximum gains. I find with the daily challenges, I end up bashing my head against a wall for a bit until something accidentally works out well, and maybe I learn something or at least view certain effects differently.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 02, 2019, 01:15:48 pm »

Ironclad's juggernaut is the damage on block gain power, iirc. There's some mods with similar interactions (the construct's shield burst thing can get hilarious, if it hasn't been nerfed, ferex), too.

I don't tend to do dailies, but I do usually run customs. Heirloom, deadly events, big game hunter, certain future, is my go-to combo. Go big or go home. Usually low ascension, tho'.
Ask not!
Ask!

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 04, 2019, 03:30:20 am »

I 've finaly beat ascension 18 with the Ironclad. Bludgeon, whirlwind, brimstone and necronomicon are one hell of a combo, especially when you can get enough gold to keep that deck thin enough :D

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 04, 2019, 08:24:53 am »

I 've finaly beat ascension 18 with the Ironclad. Bludgeon, whirlwind, brimstone and necronomicon are one hell of a combo, especially when you can get enough gold to keep that deck thin enough :D

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Those shurikens (+1 strength every time you do 3 attacks in a round) don't hurt, either. Nice work.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 04, 2019, 08:32:18 am »

Not just shuriken, that's the full ninja set -- shuriken, kunai, and fan. Sounds like they didn't really build the deck to leverage them, though. More a high energy instead of attack spam play. Would have been nice enough but probably not core to the deck.
Ask not!
Ask!

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 04, 2019, 08:42:31 am »

Won the fourth boss for the first time.
Did it again. Ironclad with Corruption and Dead Branch. I don't think I need to say anything else about my deck after those two.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 04, 2019, 09:00:55 am »

I mean, considering after those two you don't so much have a deck as a pile of RNG checks, yeah. Extra fun with that is some mod item I've forgotten the name of that... actually, I forget the exact effects, but it was something like reduce attack card energy costs by 1 every time they're used, exhausting if 0 cost. Everything has to go, nothing can stay :P

... actually, there's another one that just sets everything to 0 cost/exhaust. Never actually tried it, much less in conjunction with a dead branch, but it'd probably be fun.
Ask not!
Ask!

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 04, 2019, 11:15:48 am »

Sounds like they didn't really build the deck to leverage them, though. More a high energy instead of attack spam play. Would have been nice enough but probably not core to the deck.

This.

They came late enough in the game that while they were helpful in their own right the deck was already all about "draw bludgeon/whirlwind - use bludgeon/whirlwind" with a bit of "uppercut" on the side.  The strength bonus from the shuriken was always present after the second act when I finally got some extra energy and I was able to use a second attack after my big hitters but it was often overshadowed by the brimstone.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 06, 2019, 10:36:19 am »

The new relic that causes your first attack to do +9 damage (Akabeko) is hilarious on the ironclad with pummel (2 damage 4 times, 5 times if upgraded).

Edit: 2x4, not 4x4.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 12:00:38 pm by Iduno »

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 09, 2019, 09:32:22 am »

I found a very unexpected combo that I feel it would have been quite viable if I had build my deck a bit more carefully.

Ironclad, with the pain* curse (1 damage to hp for every card played), rupture (+1 strength every time you lose hp due to a card) and self forming clay (+3 defence in the next turn each time you lose hp). Playing rupture as early as possible is a vital step so either good card draw or the relic that ensures you have it in your opening hand is also necessary.

*I got it from the event that gives the relic that upgrades a random card in your hand each turn.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 09, 2019, 10:07:41 am »

I think the 'official' way to build that deck is to use cards like Combust and Bloodletting to deal damage just as you take it. curses aren't the ideal way to do it, in my opinion.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14