Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14

Author Topic: Slay the Spire - Deck-building to Death or Glory  (Read 26275 times)

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Slay the Spire - Deck-building to Death or Glory
« Reply #75 on: June 30, 2018, 12:16:15 am »

I just had a ton of fun with the new custom mode - playing as silent, with drafting and diverse (all cards available) enabled. Ended up with a mostly claws deck, supported by backflips and shrug it off.

I will say though, the random cards - like white noise - are really, really random - to the point that it was pretty much useless. Too many different archetypes to draw for - you're almost guaranteed that whatever you draw won't mesh well with your deck.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 30, 2018, 12:49:17 am »

I have eaten Donu in two different ways.  I have achieved Slay the Spire nirvana.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 30, 2018, 07:32:45 am »

I just had a ton of fun with the new custom mode - playing as silent, with drafting and diverse (all cards available) enabled. Ended up with a mostly claws deck, supported by backflips and shrug it off.
It might be vaguely worth noting modding is apparently a thing that exists for slay the spire, now. There's a handful of classes, some content expansion, and a few utility things (custom mode actually had a mod doing the same thing a bit before this latest update, there's an always whale mod, etc.).

Can take a gander at modthespire if anyone's interested.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 30, 2018, 08:01:04 am »

Just played my first three games... The first two classes are rather straight forward and boring, but damn, is that mechanical class with the orbs broken. Went from not being able to reach the first boss with the first two to being an untouchable 40 guard a turn at minimum milling monster. Sadly I died on this boss who revived himself twice in a row and kept getting more damage...
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 30, 2018, 08:45:55 am »

There's... only one boss that revives itself, and it only does it once, though? At least in the base game. The sleepy one with the cultists. jackass time master or whatever it is has a heal mechanic, too, but it's not a straight revive and I'm fairly sure it either only does it once or is supposed to have a sizeable gap in between uses. Both (well, all three end bosses) have a strength scaling mechanic, too (though time jackass is probably the worst of them).

That said, if there's anything that will blow a mill deck to hell it's the jackass time jackass. You can conceptually outpace the bugger with a scaling block deck, but you basically need kunai and the ability to put out six to nine attacks in a turn while still being able to play some defense. Not at all easy, heh, and you'd probably just kill it in the process if you actually have a deck that could manage it.

... well, unless you happen to be playing with mods and running a mad scientist. Then you just get (a few) copies of power armor, stack up the fuel, and laugh and laugh and laugh after you're putting out passive triple digit block figures by like turn three. Legitimately unbalanced as all hell, but hilarious :P
Ask not!
Ask!

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 30, 2018, 09:06:55 am »

This game actually looks extremely relevant to my interests.

I generally have a policy of not buying/playing early access games, though, so... Does anyone know how close this is to being a completely finished product, and how close to its actual release?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 30, 2018, 09:12:12 am »

No clue, but as is it's pretty damn solid for a deck building game of its ilk. I don't regret getting it for the current base price (didn't notice the sale was coming, heh), and wouldn't hesitate to say it has ten bucks worth of game already, never mind whatever comes in the future.

That said, quick check says the devs are actually expecting full release, or at the absolute least leaving early access, this summer. So within a month or three, expectations holding.
Ask not!
Ask!

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 30, 2018, 09:15:19 am »

There's... only one boss that revives itself, and it only does it once, though? At least in the base game. The sleepy one with the cultists. jackass time master or whatever it is has a heal mechanic, too, but it's not a straight revive and I'm fairly sure it either only does it once or is supposed to have a sizeable gap in between uses. Both (well, all three end bosses) have a strength scaling mechanic, too (though time jackass is probably the worst of them).

That said, if there's anything that will blow a mill deck to hell it's the jackass time jackass. You can conceptually outpace the bugger with a scaling block deck, but you basically need kunai and the ability to put out six to nine attacks in a turn while still being able to play some defense. Not at all easy, heh, and you'd probably just kill it in the process if you actually have a deck that could manage it.

... well, unless you happen to be playing with mods and running a mad scientist. Then you just get (a few) copies of power armor, stack up the fuel, and laugh and laugh and laugh after you're putting out passive triple digit block figures by like turn three. Legitimately unbalanced as all hell, but hilarious :P

Wait that thing only revived itself once? I swear it just popped up from being killed twice... Next time I play I'm definitely removing those cards that give you focus but then lose it, the way I play until I set up right I can't nuke so losing focus is a nightmare.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 30, 2018, 09:18:25 am »

No clue, but as is it's pretty damn solid for a deck building game of its ilk. I don't regret getting it for the current base price (didn't notice the sale was coming, heh), and wouldn't hesitate to say it has ten bucks worth of game already, never mind whatever comes in the future.

That said, quick check says the devs are actually expecting full release, or at the absolute least leaving early access, this summer. So within a month or three, expectations holding.
Excellent!
In that case, I might buy it now (on sale at early access price) and wait until it's released to play it. Thanks.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 30, 2018, 09:53:20 am »

This game actually looks extremely relevant to my interests.

I generally have a policy of not buying/playing early access games, though, so... Does anyone know how close this is to being a completely finished product, and how close to its actual release?
I don't know if *more* features are planned, but as is its a finished, complete game.

(that's slightly a lie, the devs have said they want more than 3 characters, but only for after release)
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 30, 2018, 02:15:24 pm »

Yeah, the only thing early access about it is that some of the art has been changing, otherwise it is a finished, and surprisingly but free and incredibly addictive game
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 30, 2018, 07:21:42 pm »

Well, this just happened:

... for those that haven't played around with mods, that's the mad scientist, and the thing of note is that little A with a 15 besides it. Mad scientists have a skill that, for the cost of a point of fuel (the class's unique resource), let's you plays a card X (where X is the number of automate stacks you have) more times for the rest of the turn -- echo form as a skill, basically, and without echo form's sanity check.

Of particular note is that automate stacks, and moreover stacks with itself. So if you play it once, you play a card twice. If you play automate with a stack of automate already running, well, now you have three stacks of automate. Play it again, and, well...

... you can potentially end up with fifteen (or more, particularly if you have, say, lightbulb and unceasing top, which I didn't have the energy gain card) stacks of automate, and gain multiple hundred block off a single card replicated fifteen extra times. Whee~

Sadly, deca didn't live long enough for things to get even sillier. Alas. also, fyi, while the rest of the mad scientist builds are relatively more reasonable, fuel builds are all kinds of broke as all hell. It's pretty great :V
Ask not!
Ask!

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 02, 2018, 09:38:52 am »

Endless mode is intresting and the downsides you get after a while tend to avoid the "small deck = autowin" system, since they lay on the curses pretty heavy.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 04, 2018, 03:12:11 pm »

Mod gifts keep giving. Shield burst construct is a delightful farce. Giving it an endless attempt, my first two third act boss fights (both donu and deca) were both one-shot on the first turn.

Outside that, biggest single hit I think I've seen so far was... either three or six thousand-ish (vuln + 999 block burst + pen nub). Not even trying for it, sometimes hammer down draws just mean I incidentally end up with 999+ dex, which makes for a sodding huge kaboom when it empowers a block card.

... any case, build's fairly simple. I have a handful of dex/block cards (my starting strikes are all gone, as is attack mode), a couple mega-upgraded hammer downs (because somehow, someway, a non-exhaust card that quadruples your dex and strength made sense to someone), and then a couple shield bursts (which eats all your block, then deals 3x the amount to all enemies). Add in calipers because of course having to build up one-hit tko levels of go-bugger-yourself in a single turn was apparently too much to ask, and you got a faceroll and a half.

It's pretty great :V
Ask not!
Ask!

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 05, 2018, 12:23:42 am »

Endless mode is intresting and the downsides you get after a while tend to avoid the "small deck = autowin" system, since they lay on the curses pretty heavy.
Reddit memes got you covered
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14