Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14

Author Topic: Slay the Spire - Deck-building to Death or Glory  (Read 26268 times)

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Slay the Spire - Deck-building to Death or Glory
« Reply #90 on: July 05, 2018, 09:44:16 am »

Yeah, the only thing early access about it is that some of the art has been changing, otherwise it is a finished, and surprisingly but free and incredibly addictive game

When was this ever available for free?
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 05, 2018, 10:50:46 am »

I think that's supposed to be "bug free"
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 05, 2018, 11:52:14 am »

*butt free
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 07, 2018, 01:31:50 am »

Screw you time turner! For once, the game was one point off of lethal!

Always feels good to beat that jerk with a Shiv deck.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 07, 2018, 11:39:07 pm »

I've apparently got an unhealthy obsession with relics -  Spirelogs has me at ~3 more relics than average for all three characters. This would not normally be a problem, as such, but I decided that I might give the 1 relic achievement a try. Playing with the Silent with ascension mode off, both times I tried I ended up with my starter relic exchanged for the +energy -potions relic - not a horrible choice, overall (although I think the Snecko Eye would probably be the relic of choice for the achievement.)

First try lasted until I hit a ? room that gave me the chance to get the golden idol. Picked it up without a second thought. *headdesk* Killed the level 1 boss, then reset.

Second try lasted until I hit an elite. Beat them, then gleefully picked up the relic dropped. *headdesk* Killed the level 1 boss, then called it a night.

I'm debating if this achievement might just be out of my reach - I can't seem to help myself with picking up any relic offered.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 09, 2018, 02:23:35 pm »

Decided to give the Silent another try, man is poison fun. I tossed out all my attack skills that didn't involve poison, and picked up some cheap skills for doubling poison and detonating the poison like a bomb... bosses melt like butter because of the bouncing poison vial+that skill that multiplies your cards the next turn giving you three, in three turns if I'm lucky I can easily drop a 200 damage nuke.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 10, 2018, 08:58:35 am »

Anyone been having tremendous trouble with The Defect? I can't seem to build up a deck that reliably allows me to take on the second zone.  Ice orbs are only effective if you're running a super-fast orb cycle deck, and otherwise you don't have enough reliable block to stop yourself getting mushed into pace before you get your engine going. I've unlocked all of The Defect's stuff, so what am I missing?
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 10, 2018, 09:06:12 am »

Charge Battery & Leap are both very solid block options. Buffer is amazing. Genetic algorithm is also very good, though you have to get it early. Stack can be good if you're going for a thick deck.

For ice orbs Glacier is probably best for actually defending you. Mostly they just take the sting off of attacks unless you get high focus. Or get lots of orb slots to fill with them, in which case you can get yourself to the point where you're getting quite a bit of block automatically every turn.

Personally I find the Defect to be the strongest of the three characters for me, so I haven't really had that issue.
Come play Mafia with us!

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 10, 2018, 09:28:19 am »

They seem to fill there roles ok. Poison sielent is hard to beat, the strong boi is just very stable and good in most situations and the defect offers more utlity and options then all others.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 10, 2018, 10:55:38 am »

Defect seems best, to me at least, with just 2-3 lightning and the rest ice, spamming as much focus as you can and using Leap and Glacier to hide. Melt is very nice against those monsters who hide behind tons of block.
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 11, 2018, 04:25:00 am »

How am I supposed to beat that clock guy? I've tried hitting him with 6 shivs and then some finishers, tossing tons of poison on him, hitting him with eight 7 damage lightnings a turn and invoking 3 every turn, hitting him with +10 strength 32 damage double tapped perfected strikes... Everything I can think of, every time I run into it I die.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 11, 2018, 08:08:09 am »

Well, with strength build... perfected strikes are kinda' shite, most of the time, honestly. Strength deck or otherwise. Heavy blade (upgraded one would have been, what, fifty, sixty damage at +10? Double tap that three or four times and you win), sword boomerang, twin strike, maybe pummel, definitely that one exhaust card (fiend fyre?) are all much, much better if you're rolling strength. Every extra attack the card has is effectively another pip of strength.

+10 is also low (that's like all of three turns of demon form, and basically nothing if you have upgraded limit break), really. End-game strength deck can often break triple digit strength (this entails playing limit break like, three, four times if you have something for them to build off of?) and literally one-shot the time jackass.

... for the rest, it mostly sounds like you're just neglecting defense, to some degree. Eight seven damage lightning shots would probably be fine if you have (echoed) reinforced body or somethin'. If you got the damage, you ultimately want to play as few cards as possible and weather the assault as it dies. Keeps the strength scale under control.

E: if you want an easy-ish defect one, get a source of dark, multi-cast, and some energy gen. Hunker down until you have a shadow bomb big enough to explode the thing in one go. Sixty point boom'll do it from full health if you have six energy, iirc, and that's fairly easy for an end-game defect to have.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 08:13:59 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 11, 2018, 08:41:20 am »

How am I supposed to beat that clock guy? I've tried hitting him with 6 shivs and then some finishers, tossing tons of poison on him, hitting him with eight 7 damage lightnings a turn and invoking 3 every turn, hitting him with +10 strength 32 damage double tapped perfected strikes... Everything I can think of, every time I run into it I die.
The goal with the time slug is to hit him as hard - and in as few cards - as possible. Shivs are just about the worst thing you could possibly play against him (unless you're running massive accuracy), since they're a low damage card and you'll just end up buffing him massively.

Something else to remember is that since your turn ends the moment he powers up, you ideally want to play either all 12 cards in a turn, or try to play 6 - you want to try to avoid turns where you only get to play 1 or 2 cards.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 08:44:23 am by AlStar »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 11, 2018, 09:07:36 am »

You also have to remember that every time he ends your turn after you hit card 12 his strength goes up, so unless you have a deck that stacks defense as time goes on you'll want to minimize the number of times you hit that limit.

It's what makes Shiv decks so bad, really. Which isn't to say that you can't win using a Shiv deck, but generally you need the right combination of artifacts to do so. Ideally you'll want Shuriken, Kuani, and the battle fan that gives you block when you play three attacks.

Poison decks are best for the Silent, generally, or Skewer based ones if you can get a ton of energy. Poison is easiest if you have good defense since you can hunker down and let the poison do the work while you play a minimum of cards each turn.
Come play Mafia with us!

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 11, 2018, 09:34:29 am »

Defect seems best, to me at least, with just 2-3 lightning and the rest ice, spamming as much focus as you can and using Leap and Glacier to hide. Melt is very nice against those monsters who hide behind tons of block.
Every time you build a shiv or draw deck as silent add a malaise.  That’s your insurance against time eater.  If you put him down to -3 strength at the start of the fight and he’s at 1 when he purges debuffs, he won’t jump up to 4.  He’ll stay at 1 strength.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14