Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14

Author Topic: Slay the Spire - Deck-building to Death or Glory  (Read 25856 times)

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: Slay the Spire - Deck-building to Death or Glory
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2018, 12:44:45 am »

So at first glance the card abilities seem oversimplistic. I checked some of the Steam reviews and agree with this one:
Quote from: Gallen
If you were to have a computer that randomly plays through the game and compare it with a skilled player over 100 runs, the player would likely only be ahead by ~5 wins. Why? Because how you play is so insignificant compared to the RNG of the game. [...] It does not matter how you play, because you aren't even the one really playing the game. The computer is, you're just watching the random pictures it decides to show you, and clicking when you're ready to see the next random result it'll decide.
I don't enjoy Hearthstone so I doubt I would enjoy this game.

That kinda describes the vast majority of card games though, just tilting it so you have a negative light.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2018, 08:30:06 am »

That's also not particularly fair to this game since there's no minimum deck size unlike other deck builder games.  Once you know what all cards you can get in a run, what the different routes can actually do for you card removal/upgrade wise, and what the relics do... I'd say you'd sit around a solid 50% greater win-rate than a true rng game?  At the very least you'll get closer to winning every time if you play smart.

On a different note, best deck shiv-dead stick deck.  Shiv exhaust giving you random cards is bloody hilarious.
Nom nom nom

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2018, 01:22:00 pm »

I'd have to disagree with that review. Yes, of course, you have hands that give you basically no choice in what to do. However, I've had many runs where specific decisions of what to play mattered a TON. That and, of course, what you add/remove/upgrade in your deck has a tremendous difference on how a given run goes. This is very much a strategy game.

As for the cards being simple in effect...yes, no particular card is all that complex. The trick is setting up combos and synergies between your cards and relics. There are cards that are very poor choices by themselves, but with the right set of cards or with the right relic they become very powerful.

I do not enjoy Hearthstone all that much and I love this game. Very different card games. Now, if you dislike card games in general, then, sure, you may not enjoy this one.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

chevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2018, 03:51:08 am »

It took a couple of runs for me to figure out that you don't have to pick a card after every fight but I now know that choices about not picking cards are the ones that make or break the run.

Loving the game.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2018, 04:14:38 am »

You really want to beat the first stage with one cheesy op card and no-none-exhaust/power pickups.

I love starting the fight with 20 card and then only having 7-ish cards left in the deck, as every other card is exhausted or a power.

Card like fiend fire (exhaust your hand) can also be very useful to pretend you have a small deck. Other then that, just cheese everything with the doubling cards (Burst and that one for the fighter)

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2018, 05:08:06 am »

I'd have to disagree with that review. Yes, of course, you have hands that give you basically no choice in what to do. However, I've had many runs where specific decisions of what to play mattered a TON. That and, of course, what you add/remove/upgrade in your deck has a tremendous difference on how a given run goes. This is very much a strategy game.
Ok. I suppose the negative review was very exaggerated or he had terrible RNG.

As for the cards being simple in effect...yes, no particular card is all that complex.
I find Faeria and The Far Wilds quite challenging.

I really do like deckbuilding, Darkest Dungeon was surprisingly enjoyable, so you've all tempted me to buy Slay the Spire.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 05:19:47 am by FakerFangirl »
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2018, 08:20:56 am »

I was quite interested in this game, and iv seen quite a few lets plays of it, maybe so many that now i feel that iv seen it all and its not worth playing, it seems it lack something, i dont know if its depth or maybe a little more player agency, lets say im looking forward to Slay the Spire 2.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2018, 10:23:31 am »

I'm really enjoying the game. It's amazing how much of a difference what artifacts you get can have on a run - especially if you decide to trade out your starting artifact for a new one (the Silent is the best for this, since her +2 cards on opening hand is much weaker than gaining 6 health after every fight). My latest run, I ended up with the artifact that automatically upgrades any power card you get. As a result, I picked up pretty much every power card I happened across - ended up with a pretty great deck - got the "stack 100 points of poison" achievement with it.

Would've won, too, but final boss was the Time Eater (or whatever he's called) - bugger hits like a truck, and his 12-tick power/auto-end your turn gimmick messed with my "play ALL the +energy cards" strategy that had been serving me so well up to that point.

I actually ended up screwing myself - I didn't want to play shivs, since the damage wasn't really good enough to justify the tick on his clock... but I was earning a new shiv every turn, thanks to my power. As a result, my final turn saw me draw a hand of nothing but shivs when he went for a 3x10 attack.  :'(

DemonOfWrath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2018, 10:22:02 pm »

Yeah it does feel a bit too hard-countery at times. You're encouraged by relic+card synergies to go all-in on a specific playstyle usually, and since you have no way of getting out of a fight once it's started if you go against something that hard counters your deck quite often you're somewhat done. Time Eater feels particularly egregious, with the 30+ damage attacks most turns.

That said, love the game, I just feel like it needs more cards/options (or maybe they're hidden behind the bloody unlocks). Sort of feels like both classes have 2 or 3 obvious playstyles, and you're just seeing which one the first few relics point you to.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2018, 10:29:38 pm »

Time Eater's a bastard, through and through :P

Still, it's interesting trying to finagle a win out of it when you're running a hard draw/mill deck and meet senior 12 step interrupt. Poor shiv decks, ehehe.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Chosrau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2018, 03:49:51 am »

Getting the Black Star Relic right from the start always seems to herald a good run. The amount of Relics you can get is just silly.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Shame neither Kunai nor Shuriken dropped. But even without them Dead Branch(get random card whenever a card is exhausted)+bandages(get 3 block whenever a card is discarded) on a Shiv Deck are insane. I dont think I took any damage on floor 3.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 11:27:20 am by Chosrau »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2018, 10:00:41 am »

Nice!

Yeah, I had a run like that where I got 30 relics by the end. Ends up super powerful.

Pity a lot of the time when I got for a boss relic instead of my normal one the game likes to throw the cursed bell at me. That goes...less well.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2018, 02:52:29 pm »

Taking boss relic is almost never worth it I find, what with cursed bell, tiny house, specimen, pandora's box and white beast being in that pool.  Honestly the more I play the more I find myself just skipping boss relics that aren't sozu or the choker (when playing demon-dude).
Nom nom nom

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2018, 03:42:59 pm »

Taking boss relic is almost never worth it I find, what with cursed bell, tiny house, specimen, pandora's box and white beast being in that pool.  Honestly the more I play the more I find myself just skipping boss relics that aren't sozu or the choker (when playing demon-dude).

Not sure why you think these are bad:

Specimen is amazing for Huntress, making poison builds very powerful and useful in all situations where there is one big boss mob with a bunch of smaller buddies.

Pandora's box is literally my favorite artifact in the game, removing all the strikes and blocks which otherwise I painstakingly remove manually at great expense, and replacing them with stuff that may or may not be useful, but won't be trash either.

Cursed Bell is three artifacts for the price of one, and sure you get curses, but numerous artifacts benefit from curses, and, honestly three artifacts in the store is waaay more than three card removals.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2018, 05:31:06 pm »

The bell's friggin' great if you've managed to run into some curse related artifacts, and fairly solid on an iron-critter regardless if you've nabbed up an immolate or two. It's not exactly bad in any situation, though, since the cost/benefit is stupid good, as pan notes.

Curse runs are honestly kinda' fun, though. More or less have to run into some applicable relics early on, but if you do it can get pretty sexy pretty fast. Works nicely with discard/exhaust type junk, too, obviously enough.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14