Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14

Author Topic: Slay the Spire - Deck-building to Death or Glory  (Read 25858 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Slay the Spire - Deck-building to Death or Glory
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2018, 05:40:18 pm »

Cursed bell can be good, yeah. It's just lousy as an initial artifact unless you get super lucky with the three artifacts it gives you. I've had runs end very early due to the curses screwing me over before I could remove/mitigate them.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2018, 09:51:02 pm »

Taking boss relic is almost never worth it I find, what with cursed bell, tiny house, specimen, pandora's box and white beast being in that pool.  Honestly the more I play the more I find myself just skipping boss relics that aren't sozu or the choker (when playing demon-dude).

Not sure why you think these are bad:

Specimen is amazing for Huntress, making poison builds very powerful and useful in all situations where there is one big boss mob with a bunch of smaller buddies.

Pandora's box is literally my favorite artifact in the game, removing all the strikes and blocks which otherwise I painstakingly remove manually at great expense, and replacing them with stuff that may or may not be useful, but won't be trash either.

Cursed Bell is three artifacts for the price of one, and sure you get curses, but numerous artifacts benefit from curses, and, honestly three artifacts in the store is waaay more than three card removals.
Ok, they aren't bad but they are all worse than having your starting relic which is what we were talking about.  I mean sure, pandora's box CAN be great or it can make it so you can do zero damage and have no chance of finishing the first floor.  Cursed bell also CAN be great, but having 3/15 cards in your deck be curses immediately is no beuno.

Same deal with specimen, if you have poison stuff set up by the time you hit the end of the first floor it's amazing, until you get poison it does nothing.
Nom nom nom

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2018, 04:44:32 pm »

Eh... worse than burning blood or whatever it is anyway, sure. Silent's starting relic is kinda' meh, unless it's changed since I last played, I guess.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2018, 07:47:56 pm »

While I'll certainly admit that it must be a crapshoot, my first experience with Pandora's Box was crazy-successful: I perfected two bosses and two elites, and I would've earned the Impervious achievement (as the Silent) if I hadn't already had it. My deck was just so crazy fast without having to deal with strikes/blocks.

That said, I could see getting an entire deck littered with those unplayable cards (that have effects when you discard them) - that would suck.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2018, 11:09:10 pm »

I've very curious to see what they'll do with the third class. I can guess two aspects pretty easily. Probably a mage and the color will almost certainly be blue. But what mechanics could it use? They have them pretty well split between the two existing classes, so I have to think they'll be adding new mechanics in.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2018, 11:28:44 pm »

I'unno, the iron and silent seem to be respectively attack and skill themed in a general sense, so it'd be a fairly obvious pattern for it to finish the trio with something power tilted. Just have to see, heh.
Ask not!
Ask!

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2018, 02:09:25 am »

I don't feel like the Silent is that much Skill oriented (except for poison), but may already be power oriented... I had games where I had a third of my deck as Powers... (Dexterity, Precision, infinite Shivs, and Caltrops in multiple copies).

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2018, 09:58:03 am »

Both poison and shivs are mostly skill related, tho' -- the shivs themselves are attacks, but outside the power cards related to them you're mostly getting them via skill cards. Plus lots of their stuff is based on card draw/discard/etc., which is primarily enabled by skill cards (backflip, acrobatics, etc.). So on, so forth -- even caltrops and dexterity are heavily reliant on playing skills to leverage them (generate dat block so the reflect damage doesn't chunk yer health pool, et al), ferex.

Both of the existing two definitely (can) use powers a good bit, o'course, but there feels like a noticeable enough slant to both. Is why it'd be an obvious-ish thing to slant critter three towards powers. Exactly how, I'unno, but eh. We'll find out when we find out :P
Ask not!
Ask!

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2018, 09:23:53 pm »

I'm really impressed by some of the relic interactions that show up in this game - it really adds some new twists on what are otherwise the "same old" events. Examples that I can think of are turning your +gold relic into the +health relic, or, as I just discovered on my most recent run, that running into the vampires when you've got the vial of blood lets you sacrifice the vial to turn into a vampire without the 30% maxhp hit.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 09:27:44 pm by AlStar »

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2018, 06:31:35 pm »

So, got the game fairly recently, so this is something of a ptw.

Snecko eye is an amazing artifact, and I love it dearly. It looks at any idea of a carefully crafted deck and begins laughing while playing tri-wielded zero cost demon forms and trying to sell you a three-drop anger.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2018, 07:05:10 pm »

I find it to be a really good early artifact (either swapped for the starter or first boss drop) where you can load up on expensive cards to really use it. Much less useful for later game decks where you generally have a specific build going that the confusion just messes with.
Come play Mafia with us!

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2018, 06:53:22 pm »

I just had a really fun run with the Silent on Ascension level 1.

It basically came down to four things:
The Tingsha relic (whenever you discard a card, deal 3 damage to a random enemy)
Tactician+ (Unplayable, if card is discarded, gain 2 energy)
Calculated Gamble+ (0, discard your hand, then draw that many cards)
and Expertise+ (1, draw cards until you have 8 in hand)

Honorable mention to the Sundial relic, which gave me 2 extra energy every 3 deck shuffles.

Best score yet at 868, mostly buffed by 2 perfect bosses and 4 perfect elites.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2018, 06:56:15 pm »

Nice! For whatever reason the game tends to give me discard abilities OR stuff that procs on discards but not enough of both to make the strat work well. I keep trying, though.
Come play Mafia with us!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2018, 03:46:04 am »

Let it be known that blue candle + dead branch + necronomicurse is a thing of utter hilarity. All the cards forever for the low, low price of 1 hp per draw. yes I want to add thirty new cards to my draw pile in one turn why are you asking

... until you somehow manage to run the supposedly inescapable curse out of your hand, anyway :3

I'd say until you run out of health or energy, but at the absolute least the red critter just laughs at that. Reaper/offering draws ftw. The only barrier to the unending turn is boredom or managing to reach the end of the hand size limit.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 03:30:45 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2018, 11:03:13 am »

I'm really enjoying the revised daily runs. Initially it was just a massively harder run. Now they're throwing in all kinds of fun and wacky stuff.

I missed one a day or two ago that sounded amazing - you can take a relic instead of a card when you beat a combat. However, the one I did yesterday (which I think might still be up) was interesting too: 200% gold, but you cannot upgrade cards at campsites; sleeping at a campsite restores 100% HP, but you lose 5 maxHP.

I ended up taking a wildly circuitous route that avoided all camps till the one right before the boss. Took all the events and relics that upgraded cards, and pretty much bought out all the relics of any stores I came across. Worked out pretty well - I even managed to get a feed off on Donu for the achievement.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14