Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14

Author Topic: Slay the Spire - Deck-building to Death or Glory  (Read 25854 times)

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Slay the Spire - Deck-building to Death or Glory
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2018, 08:47:54 pm »

So I just finished my first successful run with the Ironclad and... wow, that was an awkward build.

Key relics were the Thread and Needle, Bronze Scales, Nilry's Codex, and Cursed Key. (Girya, and the Bird-Faced Urn were a handy bonus too.) I was packing a ton of curses by the end, courtesy of the Cursed Key, but they were largely irrelevant. Every battle basically consisted of mitigating damage until my Barricade showed up, then it was all pumping armor until Body Slam or (ideally Dual Wielded...) Mind Blast could finish it off. Just for fun, I ended up hitting the second boss for about 300 damage in a single shot. (Loving Nilry's Codex...)

Do most people keep taking cards whenever they're offered (even if they're of dubious utility), or skip them?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 11:06:33 pm by Aoi »
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2018, 12:19:28 am »

I have so far (and have two wins under my belt) but I'm pretty sure that unless you have a specific strategy that revolves around it in someway its heavily sub-optimal. You can still win that way of course, but in general it just waters down your deck and makes it less consistent and less likely you will draw what you need.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2018, 09:07:22 am »

Yeah, knowing when to add a card and when to pass on cards that don't fit your deck is important. Even when it is really painful to pass on that normally great card, if it doesn't work for your build don't add it.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2018, 09:33:19 am »

Generally there are a couple really powerful cards that set the tone of your deck. Cards like catalyst (double/triple poison) or barricade (block is no longer removed). From there you should build your deck around those cards. Before I get one of those cards I tend to pick up more generic cards (anything that gives more draw, a better generic attack, etc).

It's important to skip, especially when you reach the third act.

Edit: Powerful combinations of relics can also set the tone of your deck, for example bandages (discard card -> gain 3 block) and gambling chip (discard any number of cards from your starting hand and redraw that many).
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 09:36:02 am by Orb »
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2018, 09:53:40 am »

Not only should you not be picking up cards after every battle, you should in fact be looking to slim down your deck whenever possible - removing your starting attacks and blocks through the store and events.

The reasoning of such being that your basic starting cards are just that - basic. Every card you find will be better than them, either in damage (done or blocked), or will include bonuses like card draw, less energy used, etc. By removing the starter cards, you'll be playing your stronger cards more often.

My personal spending ranking whenever I hit a store is:
Crazy powerful relics (most of the rares - especially things like Ice Cream, or the Eggs if you get them floor 1 or early floor 2) -> Apotheosis (because it means you never have to upgrade anything in your deck other than Apotheosis) -> card removal (curses -> basic cards) -> the card currently on sale (if relevant to my deck) -> all other cards offered (if relevant to my deck).

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2018, 10:00:39 am »

There are some builds that are exceptions to that (such as a perfected strike build), but generally I agree with AlStar that slimming your deck is important for most builds. Given the choice between buying a card or removing a basic card from my deck I often spend the money removing a card rather than adding one.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2018, 11:23:19 am »

I think I took this sentiment a bit too dearly on this latest run... I just realized I removed all of my offensive cards except for Neutralize. (Courtesy of Purity, so at least it'll just be one looooong fight.)

Also, traded my default relic in for... Ectoplasm. Byebye, merchant.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2018, 04:03:35 pm »

I picked this game up a few days ago and I've been hitting it hard.

I missed one a day or two ago that sounded amazing - you can take a relic instead of a card when you beat a combat.
I played that one. Ended up with both the kunai and shuriken, then just used Endless Agony and a bunch of card draw to kill things, ideally followed up by a Finisher. Had 31 total relics by the end.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2018, 02:23:54 pm »

People who like a concise deck must be hating today's challenge (Ironclad, Curse-based artifacts, 2 untyped, 50 random cards)... I'm kind of having a field day with it though.

Pulled a Barricade off the first boss, got that artifact that makes a skill Innate like three rooms later. Mix with Salisk Eye, Apothesis, draw-on-exhaust, skills-cost-0-but-exhaust, and 6 energy, and I have no idea what I'm playing on a given hand, but it's going to hurt.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 11:59:39 pm by Aoi »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2018, 07:41:05 pm »

Least from what I've seen, there's a gap between too big to use well and too big to fail particularly easily. A thirty/forty card deck can get rolled over pretty easily, a fifty+ card deck lolorolls the game. It's fairly interesting, really. Suggests the balance tuning is pretty on point for normal gameplay.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2018, 12:59:39 am »

I don't think it's inherently the size; I suspect that it's just easier to pile together a deck with random junk in it and have it be passable than to construct a tight deck, given the RNG in card accessibility and relics.

Update/Edit: 9 After Images in an Shiv/Agony deck is bloody ridiculous.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 02:58:00 am by Aoi »

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2018, 04:25:08 am »

I picked this game up a few days ago and I've been hitting it hard.

I missed one a day or two ago that sounded amazing - you can take a relic instead of a card when you beat a combat.
I played that one. Ended up with both the kunai and shuriken, then just used Endless Agony and a bunch of card draw to kill things, ideally followed up by a Finisher. Had 31 total relics by the end.

Today's is even better for messing about with relics-- you get one from every normal combat. I finished it off with 41. (And I know I didn't take the optimal route; missed at least two on the third map, plus I spent some gold on cards, instead.)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 29, 2018, 01:26:49 pm »

New character is out if you opt-in to the beta. Note that you'll need to go to the game folder and copy the contents of your preferences folder into your betaPreferences folder in order to load up your normal progress.

The character is very interesting. A robotic mage who uses these orbs that build up around you. By default you can have up to 3 orbs at one time. They each have a passive effect that goes off at the end of the round and an Evoke effect that goes off when you channel them. Some abilities channel them (which removes the orb), and you channel your oldest orb when you summon a new one.

I have only done 1 run so far, but it is an interesting character. No idea how to build an effective deck yet, but at least I got past the 1st boss.

Note that there is a lot of [beta] tagged missing artwork, so clearly they are still working on that side of things.
Come play Mafia with us!

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 08, 2018, 12:57:35 am »

A lot of placeholder artwork is in now, as well as some actual art.

Also, there is likely a lot of balance still to be done because this seems a bit broken imo.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2018, 01:55:25 am »

I mean, you are at the 40th floor.

I've had build where, after 5-10 turns, I had 30 strength, there, with a deck with Limit Breaks, the curse themed artifacts, and a few other things...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14