Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14

Author Topic: Slay the Spire - Deck-building to Death or Glory  (Read 25862 times)

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
Re: Slay the Spire - Deck-building to Death or Glory
« Reply #105 on: July 11, 2018, 04:13:25 pm »

That sounds more like a bug  :-\
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 11, 2018, 04:23:25 pm »

Its not.  The only status effects in Slay the Spire are the ones listed under a character, there's no "memory" of past buffs/debuffs.  If time eater is at +1 strength, there's no visible debuff on his character, so nothing gets purged.

Also without that interaction many Silent decks would have a 1/3rd chance of losing the game at higher ascensions.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 30, 2018, 08:15:29 am »

Just a sidenote - My mate is convinced that the game generates an end-boss that most fucks you up depending on your deck style. Since nearly getting a successful run with a Power/Lightning Defect run last night that was ended by the big blue bird (my first fail against it ever), I'm tempted to agree.

Your thoughts, Bay 12?
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 30, 2018, 09:02:48 am »

Nah. It's just that there are only 3 and each one is designed to counter a specific deck type, so there is a 33% chance that if you get to the boss it'll be the one designed to counter your deck. And given the human tendency to notice stuff that goes wrong over stuff that goes right, that can feel like way more than 33%.

And that is assuming you have a fairly 'pure' deck type and aren't running a hybrid (which is common due to not really picking a deck type until after act 1). In which case chances are 2 of them will counter your deck pretty well.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 30, 2018, 09:28:01 am »

I'm almost certain that I've seen the dev post on Reddit that the game doesn't cherry-pick bosses on you. They also don't (despite popular opinion) always give you the three byrds fight right after you pick the Alchemist's Stone.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 31, 2018, 11:55:16 am »

Most runs have 3 byrds.  This is one of several reasons I never pick up that relic.  The other that it will greatly power up all of the final bosses.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 01, 2018, 07:28:00 pm »

Last boss is pretty random, though I've never really noticed any of them except the time jackass countering a specific deck type. Sleepy could maybe be considered countering power heavy decks but you kinda' have to have a pretty sketchy power loadout to not explode the thing before its scaling becomes a problem. Similarly the remaining one basically boils down to "can you kill the donut hole fast enough?"... or out scale the strength gain, I guess. Time jackass is about the only one that ever kills me if I actually make it to the act 3 boss, heh.

And yeah, most runs have three minga melon jerkeybyrds. Pretty sure you occasionally get it more than once, even. I'm not sure the alch stone actually makes their fight harder, though. The extra energy means it's that much easier to knock them out of the air.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 01, 2018, 08:24:29 pm »

At ascension 15 all 3 of the final bosses become absurd.  They have a little more health but a LOT more damage, it becomes a race to see if you can kill them before they grind you into the floor with 40+ damage per turn.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 17, 2018, 11:16:02 am »

Looks like they added in an interesting new colorless power: Mayhem. It automatically plays the top card of your deck for free at the start of the round (after you draw your cards).

It works with Echo Form. Makes for a very unpredictable but potentially super powerful combination. Sometimes it plays a 0 cost card twice, sometimes it plays a 3 card cost twice (for free). It even did an X cost card for free that went off for as much Energy as I had without using any up.

I was able to win a non-ascension run using it so...not too bad, all told.

I can see if being a really powerful card if you have the artifact that lets you see your upcoming cards.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 17, 2018, 12:17:25 pm »

The effect's fun. Mad Scientist mod had it before it was introduced to the base game, albeit class instead of generic.

Can kinda' screw you if you have the wrong cards in your deck (mass exhaust or discard, self damaging stuff, etc.), but generally there's not many situations where playing a more or less random card is going to hurt you.

Knowing what card is coming isn't necessarily particularly helpful, though. You also would need to be able to manipulate it, to get much control over the effect. Which ain't impossible, but it's probably more trouble than it's worth.
Ask not!
Ask!

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 31, 2019, 05:01:32 pm »

I can get the Silent through the 4th boss regularly, the Defect sometimes, and accomplished Ascension 2 with Ironclad.

My last run was defensive, with the only wasted relics being calipers (after I had the card that prevents loss of block) and the pillow (I already had a relic that prevented resting). I seem to have bad luck getting either block cards (one run I got a single iron wave), or any reliable way to generate energy. Suggestions?

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 31, 2019, 05:18:26 pm »

IME Ironchad often succeeds by having such a relentless offense that defense is irrelevant because everyone is dead.  He heals after every fight, so its no big deal if you take a scratch here or there.  Or if you can consistently "waste" burning blood by not really taking damage, consider the self harm cards like offering for draw and energy.

Usually the dream team is Flex + Limit Break + Heavy Blade or Whirlwind.  Limit Break makes Flex buffs basically permenent and generally can scale faster and more energy efficiently than say demonform.  Meanwhile Heavy Blade or any multihit card takes advantage of strength multiple times.  If the cards fall right you can get a fairly consistent alpha strike.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 31, 2019, 07:22:46 pm »

Eh... blockade and silly block crushes the game pretty easily, too. Probably easier, most of the time -- defense generally seems to win out over offense for most (vanilla, particularly) StS fights (exception being probably the nob and maybe the statue, iirc... could argue the cultists I guess but they're too squishy to matter). Also more comfortably opens up the option of, y'know, taking one of the neow options that dumps your starter relic. Ironclad's is probably the best but none of them (well, without getting mods involved as some those have hella' sexy starters) are really that good. Aiming to replace isn't exactly a terrible idea if you're running a vanilla critter.

though why you'd run a vanilla critter at this point when the mod scene has more or less taken off running I dunno :P

E: Though getting more block cards when the RNG's screwing you... I got nothin'. You can try mods that add more cards, or roll with endless in hopes of getting them in the second go through, but ultimately if the seed decides all you're getting is an iron wave then all you're getting is an iron wave. Bout all you can do at that point is go reproductive organs out and roll full offensive.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 07:36:44 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 03, 2019, 10:02:51 am »

I think I got it this time. I just fought an orb walker.

My anchor starts me with 10 black, it does 11 damage. One of the cards I played was Dark Embrace (draw a card when you exhaust a card). Next turn, my Mark of Pain gives me a wound, so I play it using the Medic Pack artifact, and draw Barricade. After that, when I got a burn in my hand, I played it to draw a different card. Each turn my block increased. I also have Feel no Pain, which helps, as I exhaust a few times each fight (2 wounds and an intimidate). And, as a bonus, Entrench. Now to find all of those Body Slams RNG gives me when I can't find a single block card.

Edit: And Incence Burner is great for getting enough block saved up that Entrench is amazing.

Edit2: Reptilomancer killed me right before a campsite near the 3rd boss.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 10:34:39 am by Iduno »

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 27, 2019, 02:53:11 pm »

As of today the game is also available from GOG. (Just saying it for anyone that might be interested in it, I'm in no way associated with either gog or the devs)

I bought it a couple of hours ago (version 1.0 23-1-19) and so far the only thing that seems off is that I can't find the score ladder for the daily runs. Is it a steam only feature?

Quick update that doesn’t really need a new post:

While unlocks seem to work properly the game doesn’t seem to register some scores like the total damage to the heart when you complete the first 3 acts.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 05:03:59 am by Ulfarr »
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14