Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14

Author Topic: Slay the Spire - Deck-building to Death or Glory  (Read 25863 times)

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Slay the Spire - Deck-building to Death or Glory
« Reply #120 on: March 27, 2019, 03:51:43 pm »

After many (many) tries, I've finally managed to defeat the Heart with the Ironclad, thus completing the ending with all three characters. No idea why it was so difficult - I managed to do it on my first try with the Silent, and after only a handful of tries with the Defect, but for some reason, I kept dying on late 3rd floor, or several times on the Heart itself.

MVP of the victory was the Torii relic, which reduced the incoming damage of the Heart's x12 attack to a mere 12 damage several times in a row.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 29, 2019, 05:57:19 am »

I don’t remember how many times I died but I’ve finally finished act 3 with the silent (non ascension  :-[ ). Double footwork + blur for the win
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 29, 2019, 08:00:19 am »

I don’t remember how many times I died but I’ve finally finished act 3 with the silent (non ascension  :-[ ). Double footwork + blur for the win

As far as I can tell, Silent decks are a) poison and defense b) shivs and defense or c) defense and passive damage (caltrops and noxious). Agreed that blur is great, especially with the "your next skill (or 2, if upgraded) is played twice."

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 03, 2019, 10:19:13 am »

[A LOT of extra deaths later...]

It seems to me that goingfull on defences is the best way in either class.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 03, 2019, 10:48:39 am »

Yep, until you hit one of the hard counters to defensive decks (Goblin Nob, summoners who increase strength regularly). Then you need to change your strategy (deck) in the middle of the fight. So uh, good luck with that.

I think the major failing of this game is that there are hard counters to whatever your strategy is, and if you encounter them "I guess build your deck to a different strategy and get hard-countered a different way next time" is the only answer. That, or "play 1,000 times, and hope one of them has everything you want for your deck and also doesn't have opponents who overcome that strategy." It's like rock-scissors-paper, except you choose one of those 3 to stick with, then go up against enemies who can choose.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 03, 2019, 01:00:23 pm »

Eh, those guys show up like first act and nowhere else, barring the last few fights. You need some offense (even if it's just body slam or that posion power or something), but if you go hard defense you can mitigate most things in the game once you start rolling, and generally more reliably than an offense build.

You do tend to need to hybridize to some degree, though, sure. There's not actually many hard counters in the game (I've outscaled gobbo nobs with dex before, on second+ pass infinite runs, heh), but there's enough that are really hard to faceroll over you do yourself a favor if you're giving yourself an out if something is a bad match for your deck.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 03, 2019, 02:04:30 pm »

The goblin nob with the Sentry or whatever is still a pain during that special encounter in the 2nd act, and the Gremlin Leader is the summoner I was thinking of (also Act 2). The lady who summons knives can usually be handled, if you survive that long.

Also, I'm glad no enemy had melter.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 03, 2019, 05:06:49 pm »

I want to say some mod or another adds an enemy with the effect? There's definitely a few that adds cards that strip block from you voluntarily. Construct (I think... the triangle-y one) has a stupidly powerful build based off it, if it hasn't changed -- stacking huge amounts of block and then popping it with a card that burns it all to inflict a multiple of your value on all enemies.

E: Ah, the infinite spire mod has one, I think! Sorta'. Its second or third cycle super boss has a phase where it resets basically everything (except your health and played powers, of course), that will strip any existing block in the process. It's a pretty nasty fight, really.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 05:33:27 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 06, 2019, 11:38:19 am »

I feel as the biggest downfall of the ironclad is deck manipulation : /

Most of my deaths seem to happen because I draw little to no defences when the enemies are about to hit hard.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 07, 2019, 12:15:14 am »

That's why Shrug It Off is such a great card for Ironclad - defense plus card draw. Otherwise, I'll usually try to take at least a couple upgraded Pommel Strikes (2 draw each).

Theoretically, there's also Warcry and Battle Trance, but I never pick up either outside Pandora's Box. I do pick up at least one Offering if I get the chance, although its HP cost has been upped so much in the releases up to v1.0 that it's almost not worth it anymore.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 07, 2019, 10:59:53 am »

Ironclad just kinda sucks at blocking. One of the biggest weaknesses of the class. A lot of successful Ironclad decks survive just by face tanking things then having either Reaper or Feed (or both) to get a bunch of HP.

Also Battle Trance is probably one of the best cards in the game. 0 energy draw 3-4 is crazy in any deck without snecko eye or velvet choker.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 04:27:17 pm by Sindain »
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 07, 2019, 01:14:11 pm »

I agree that it should be a great card, but I repeatedly shoot myself in the foot with it. It's my own fault - I'll forget that I've got the "no draw" debuff, then play an Offering or something and screw myself.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 07, 2019, 01:24:58 pm »

And then there is adrenaline: 0 cost, card draw and extra energy on the top...

On the ironclad I’m beginning to grow really fond of both rage and shockwave for protection.

edit: and then the game throws me a successfull barricade + impervious + entrenched with demon form on the side.... Ascencion 8, facing Donu and deca as the final boss and I'm down to 9 hp when I'm finally in a position to start the block engine in full swing. It peaked at about 350 block :D :D
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 03:24:25 pm by Ulfarr »

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 11, 2019, 04:08:25 pm »

999 block + intangible :o  8)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 30, 2019, 07:13:39 pm »

So, I'm playing the new character. Any guess what wish/wish+ do?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14