Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: FPS death at my adventure mode player-made site, help?  (Read 591 times)

kelid190

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
FPS death at my adventure mode player-made site, help?
« on: February 12, 2018, 02:39:10 pm »

My adventurer founded a site on a mountain, went to sleep, and in the morning woke up to many mountain creatures surrounding her.  She left the site, and when she tried to go back, FPS slowed to an even slower crawl.

In an attempt to give the site time to "clear" of the creatures, she slept one night away at a nearby part of the mountain, and wandered a large-map-tile away, did some tasks there, and wandered back.  It did not work.  If anything, moving on the site has only gotten slower.  It takes almost a full minute to walk one (fully zoomed in) tile.  There are many little grey asterisks on the fast-travel map.

This seems to be a problem that happens when she sleeps in a campsite on the mountain.  She built another site just by placing a campfire elsewhere on the mountain, and when she woke up, she was similarly surrounded by many creatures.  Another night, when she slept on the mountain without placing a campfire, there were no creatures around. [edit: She went back to visit the mountain campsite, and it has the FPS problem too.] [edit: this is not a problem in another site she built a "shelter" in, a day away, in a normal temperate/tropical swamp/marsh.][edit: this is still a problem after spending the night a day away.]

It seems like the problem is caused when the game loads all the creatures on the site, in some way. If she gets close enough it gets slow immediately, and if she gets far enough away again it immediately speeds up to normal.

The mountain the site is on is a savage, good biome.

I don't want to start over, I like the site location, but I don't know what to do about this FPS problem.

I'm using a kindof old computer that doesn't have a ton of processing power, 1.7 GHz Intel.

I'm using DF version 44.05.

Help?

Update:

"exterminate" command on DFHack lists these creatures in the camp:

• CAVE_SWALLOW_MAN 2
  • YETI 20
  • EAGLE_MAN 30
  • MARMOT_HOARY_MAN 35
  • KINGSNAKE 85
  • WOLVERINE 86
  • GIANT_GOAT_MOUNTAIN 91
  • COYOTE 113
  • YAK 163
  • GIANT_KEA 164
  • GNOME_MOUNTAIN 270

Update again:

I killed all the creatures with the exterminate command.  It's still really slow.  I guess it's all the corpses causing the slowness now?  Is there a way to delete those from the game with DFhack?

Update:

save uploaded here
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 09:45:18 pm by kelid190 »

Colonel Sanders Lite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FPS death at my adventure mode player-made site, help?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 08:14:37 pm »

So that's where all the Yeti are hiding!