Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: In future, improved, sieges once that eventual release comes, what can be done?  (Read 11531 times)

BionicMeatloaf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

From our end I mean. Not going to lie, the thought of Goblins undoing hours and hours of work by digging tunnels through my fort seems intimidating. However I am extremely curious as to what would be ideal ways to deal with the scenarios presented in the development goals.

Aside from having a lot of Marksdwarves, I keep thinking of surrounding the entirety of my forts with magma pumping through huge canyons outside the Fort's walls

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile

They could also be able to construct bridges, and using siege machines as cover against marksdorfs.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ships just offshore firing cannons at invaders? Magical traps that make invaders forget who they are? Ability to send carrier moles through underground tunnels to contact your mercenary army which is hiding in a nearby hillocks to come to your aid?

"Eventual release" covers a heck of a lot of ground. Game could be unrecognizable by then (with any luck Toady's ditched the whole buggy Fortress Mode thing - but I guess that's just wishful thinking...).

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Should this not be moved to the suggestions forum?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Should this not be moved to the suggestions forum?
Why? What has been suggested?

Bortness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Aside from having a lot of Marksdwarves, I keep thinking of surrounding the entirety of my forts with magma pumping through huge canyons outside the Fort's walls

A beautiful and dorfy idea, but there will come a point when physical / geological defenses like this start to take too long to construct to do any defensive good.  By the time you get something like that built, you will have already defended the fortress against several large gobbo invasions and will likely have decent organic defenses set up.

Beautiful stuff for a megaproject tho.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

(with any luck Toady's ditched the whole buggy Fortress Mode thing - but I guess that's just wishful thinking...).

You DO realize that this game is "Dwarf Fortress", right?

Anyway, if invaders start tunneling, well, maybe every fort will suddenly acquire sets of metal walls and/or floors. Presumably some materials will not be tunnel-able, especially if the creature tunneling is using natural methods and not tools.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's a thread for making suggestions.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's a thread for making suggestions.

Not suggestions for game improvements or changes, which is what the suggestions forums is for.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Not suggestions for game improvements or changes, which is what the suggestions forums is for.

I see.  However I can't see how we can make specific suggestions for something without knowing the details.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I see.  However I can't see how we can make specific suggestions for something without knowing the details.
This is what's called 'frivolous speculation'. It's a popular pasttime on the Internet. No-one's forcing you to take part. I'm sure if anyone comes up with an idea worth suggesting to the devs, they'll make a post in the suggestions forum. Not much point in a suggestions thread in which finding any possible suggestions involves reading the whole damn thing.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is what's called 'frivolous speculation'. It's a popular pasttime on the Internet. No-one's forcing you to take part. I'm sure if anyone comes up with an idea worth suggesting to the devs, they'll make a post in the suggestions forum. Not much point in a suggestions thread in which finding any possible suggestions involves reading the whole damn thing.

How can we come up with strategies without knowing the details of the mechanics?  ??? ???

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How can we come up with strategies without knowing the details of the mechanics?  ??? ???
Imagination.

Devast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The solution is already in game.
It's about location.
Goblin's aren't going to have a fun time laying siege to a freezing terrifying mountain range.
Of cause it all depends just how realistic Toady makes it. Will besieging armies require logistics or will they just plop down farm plots like we do?

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Imagination.

But how can we discuss the strategies without knowing the numbers?
Pages: [1] 2 3