Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rival Regions- A Geopolitical "MMO" Simulator  (Read 2705 times)

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
Rival Regions- A Geopolitical "MMO" Simulator
« on: December 29, 2017, 06:27:07 pm »

http://rivalregions.com/#overview

Rival Regions is a MMO style Geopolitical simulator. You play the role of a citizen of a country and can do multiple different things such as work to obtain money, join a political party, travel to a country to support a coup or revolution, become a journalist and cover the different happenings within the governments and different countries, etc etc. The game itself is slow paced, everything takes place in real time, so it runs like a game where you want to pop in a few times a day, check on things, use up any available energy and then come back later. That said I think the game has a lot of potential, it's been around since 2013 and is still going with about 40,000 different players.

I recently just traveled to the South and East of Ireland in game, where they only just obtained independence from the Turkish players who had taken over the country and are working to establish themselves as an independent state.

Apart from typical regions of Earth, you can travel to Antarctica and create a state there, or even travel to the moon. The game is really free form but unusually rich in diversity of what you can do.
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rival Regions- A Geopolitical "MMO" Simulator
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 09:30:12 pm »

Sounds exactly like another game, but i cant remember the name, it started with "u"? A mix of utopia and citizen or something like that i really dont rembember. If by miracle you do know what im talking about, is it any diferent? Or perhaps a reboot? 
God bless google, i think it was eRepublik.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 09:31:49 pm by ukulele »

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 09:33:47 pm »

Reminds me of Bloc back in the day, hopefully without the rampant hacking.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2017, 02:20:38 pm »

Sounds exactly like another game, but i cant remember the name, it started with "u"? A mix of utopia and citizen or something like that i really dont rembember. If by miracle you do know what im talking about, is it any diferent? Or perhaps a reboot? 
God bless google, i think it was eRepublik.
I suppose in essence it's similar, but I played eRepublik and didn't like it as much.
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2017, 03:38:28 pm »

Just picked this up a few days ago, seems the game is suddenly picking up lots of players.

Started in Texas and joined the dominant political party there, and then we defended some coup against russian-held Louisiana in order to safeguard a deal made earlier to transfer ownership of Louisiana to the Lone Star Republic.

Pretty solid game, seems now that it is more popular, there are actual boundaries that mimic somewhat historical / modern borders. Looking back in the history of the game it was quite a mess of bordergore and randomness before.

Oh! And there's also African imperialism since there aren't that many African players, understandably. So the game somewhat mimics the domination of less developed regions by more developed nations. Like, Italy controls all of North Africa and the Turks and a bunch of others control the south.
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2018, 01:24:14 pm »

Played this quite a bit, it's okay, though it uses paradox maps in advertising.
(sorry for necro)
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating
By the way, it (my name) is pronounced "ah-zee".