Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Psiforged, become godlike.  (Read 6953 times)

Ginseng

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Psiforged, become godlike.
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2018, 08:37:34 pm »

Is this based off of the Dragon Ball Finale source code? Most of the systems look pretty much identical, even down to specific things like anger/grav training and the way the building/tech system works.

Hi there. Thank you for showing interest in the project. Some of the systems were indeed inspired by some other games that I've played over the years. Like I mentioned in the projects introduction in the original post, I've gathered inspiration from many different games across a lot of platforms and tried to add what I thought was both fun and interesting. I must stress though, that Psiforged, although inspired fairly heavily by anime, is in no way identical to any other games graphics or code wise.  I hope that helps answer questions that you had.

Malus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2018, 03:26:04 am »

I must stress though, that Psiforged, although inspired fairly heavily by anime, is in no way identical to any other games graphics or code wise.

I booted up Psiforged and recognized literally 80% of the sprites, from the hair to the terrain to the tech objects; they'd be immediately recognizable to anyone who played Finale/Encore, or any of the other clones. I'm sure Psiforged has some new art so it's not literally identical to other games, but a large majority of what I saw was not original. Which is fine -- it's a BYOND game, and who even knows who's responsible for those sprites at this point, they've been ripped and used in so many other games without attribution. Same with the code -- you've clearly built a lot of systems that are unique to Psiforged. I was just wondering if the base was, indeed, the Dragon Ball Final source.

Ginseng

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2018, 04:02:52 am »

I must stress though, that Psiforged, although inspired fairly heavily by anime, is in no way identical to any other games graphics or code wise.

I booted up Psiforged and recognized literally 80% of the sprites, from the hair to the terrain to the tech objects; they'd be immediately recognizable to anyone who played Finale/Encore, or any of the other clones. I'm sure Psiforged has some new art so it's not literally identical to other games, but a large majority of what I saw was not original. Which is fine -- it's a BYOND game, and who even knows who's responsible for those sprites at this point, they've been ripped and used in so many other games without attribution. Same with the code -- you've clearly built a lot of systems that are unique to Psiforged. I was just wondering if the base was, indeed, the Dragon Ball Final source.

Hi again. Thank you for showing continued interest in the project. I appreciate the feed back and will try to work on any valid points or concerns you find with the game. With that said, I will give you a link to the sprite artist I am using. He's very good and I highly recommend him. As it stands, he's done 100% of the sprites used in Psiforged. And none of the graphics or art has been used or found in any other game to my knowledge. If you're sure they have, I will look into it and take the appropriate action to get them removed. But to answer your question in regards to the code for the game and its art, its completely original. One reason I decided to make Psiforged on Byond was because I felt there were too many anime games there that were unoriginal and it would be a breathe of fresh air for the community to play one that is original for once, instead of, like you said, a clone of a clone. So I completely understand why it could be assumed that this was just another one of those games.

Sprite artist - http://pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=18041

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2018, 04:10:42 am »

Waked up, booted computer, launched this, started to figure out controls...  5 minutes after that, server shuts down. Damn timezones.  :P
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 06:12:02 am by MCreeper »

( Tchey )

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://jeux1d100.net/
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2018, 05:05:47 am »

Hi,

Does it run on Linux, or it's Windows only ? I've seen an .exe file only, but i must ask, as it seems very intriguing and i'd probably love to play/test it.

Ginseng

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2018, 11:09:57 am »

Waked up, booted computer, launched this, started to figure out controls...  5 minutes after that, server shuts down. Damn timezones.  :P

Hehe, sorry about that. I'll set the server up again next weekend and try to remember to PM you here so you know its open. Having said that, the testing went very well. I was able to get bug reports and suggestions from a number of players, so you should be in for a better experience by the time the game is back up. :)

Ginseng

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2018, 11:12:24 am »

Hi,

Does it run on Linux, or it's Windows only ? I've seen an .exe file only, but i must ask, as it seems very intriguing and i'd probably love to play/test it.

Hi there. Thanks for bringing this question up. Considering how important it is to some users, I totally forgot to put it in the Q&A.

Sadly, I believe Psiforged won't be able to be played on Linux. However, you should be able to run a multiplayer server for others to join from their Windows platforms.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2018, 08:39:57 am »

I should have a bit of time off over the next few weekends, so I'll give it a burl on the  next open alpha test. Expect me to test the stupid stuff, as well as maybe some of the awesome :)
It's a game. Have fun.

Ginseng

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2018, 01:50:45 pm »

Hello again everyone. Hope you're having a good weekend so far! :) I'd like to try and make it a bit better, so Psiforged will be hosted again in around 3 hours from now. I'll be sure to post more information closer to the time with directions on how you can help test.

Ginseng

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2018, 05:24:50 pm »

Psiforged is now live! You can join directly from this link, by going into your Byond tray icon/pager and using Open Location.

Link - byond://DoughyOne.byondpanel.com:33650

Remember, you will need the "BYOND: client/server/compiler (BETA) -Windows  [512.1411]" version of the game to play. Alternatively, you can also join from http://www.byond.com/games/DoughyOne/Psiforged

Looking forward to seeing some of you there.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2018, 04:13:27 am »

First glitch i found: blasting someone constantly (pressing LMB and not releasing it) can result in game getting stuck, from little "lags" to getting stuck for 5 seconds or so (after blasting very basic npc fighters just after spawning, human character, spent all starting points on potency stat.(whoops, realized that it is xp gain modifier))
Also, probably it's something to do with my screen resolution (1024*768), but dialogue doesn't fit in it's window.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Built a little house for myself. Though at this point you can freely walk trough walls (and water), there are no furniture, no doors, and roof doesn't look like roof no matter where you put it (hmmm... will there be z levels?). Also you can't place wires on the same tile as walls and floors (please? :< i wanted to put gravithing and regeneration thing in home).
Also i found out: a)gravithing can serve as instakill zone of potency limited only by your stats (to enable it and get away alive).
b) Gravithing can serve as source of permadeath in game where there are no death at all happy thing you can turn it off while unconscious.  ;D
Yeah, very alpha.  Most of dialogues are not there yet, blast is a bit glitched (also hard to give precise doses of it), telekinesis sometimes glitches too - i had fun with making npc fighters into resources in recycler, and when i tried to pick up one of them, it made the game stuck, on few tries. I runned around a bit, and then i picked him up just fine. Super speed doesn't seem to work at all. i should always read descriptions.
Also, how do you make basic attack? Blasting improperly placed walls with blast is fun thing to watch, but not very fun thing to do.  ;D Some guy in game explained me how to (hold space near something pucnhable).

Items sometimes phase trough the floor. I made power core (how do you use it?), placed it in home, it then passed trough the floor and become invisible, from some squares. If i look from other squares, it's there.
Someone made this (if it wasn't part of the map from beginning).
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 07:43:54 am by MCreeper »

Ginseng

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2018, 04:07:15 pm »

Fantastic feedback, MCreeper. Really appreciate it. I'll look into those things you've noticed these next two weeks and do my best to optimize and fix them. It's exciting and inspiring to see others try out, and in some cases, enjoy the game so far. :) Testing for this weekend is now concluded and I'll be sure to update everyone once the server comes back up.

Thank you everyone for testing the game! And your feedback, suggestions and testing are greatly appreciated and will help the project move forward.

Ginseng

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2018, 04:10:52 pm »

Psiforged, and the direction of the project.

Hey there folks. Time for another quick update on the status of Psiforged and where the project is heading.

With all this testing you've been doing, I've managed to really get the ball moving on features. Nearly all the major implementations for the engine have been added and finished. They just need a bit of a tweak and polish here and there for extra shininess and sparkle. But with the basics down, the only way now is forward! This is where things get interesting.

The last two days, I've been working on a new map, 5 times bigger than our tester island. And with it, comes a blank canvas and much opportunity to work on features that will shape the project into a proper, fully functional game. Some of the major additions added so far are proper NPC AI, Towns, Factions and Resource Nodes. So lets take a while to talk about those.

With the map being much bigger, I was finally able to begin work on adding towns. There's going to be about 4 minor towns and 1 large city. Each town will be populated with a few residents, a few houses and at least 1 point of interest, be it a quarry, logging camp, science center/vault, or an artifact, to name but a few. The idea is that as the savior (or destroyer) of Earth, it's your job to secure these towns from the many, many nastiest peoples that wish to exploit the world. So, if you wanted, you and your friends will eventually be able to travel around the map, taking over towns for your faction.

So, let's talk a little about the factions. So far, there's about 3 factions in the game. Roughly, they're split into separate types of morality. Your starting faction, an Order of Psionic Monks are considered good. Then there's the roving bands of Mercenaries and other members of society that fall into a grey, neutral area. And finally, the Cultists, an unsavory lot using this new found Psionic power washing over the planet to summon horrible eldritch horrors, and demons in order to gain power. Eventually, the player can join a faction and secure towns in the name of said faction, furthering that factions goals and gaining bonus opinion with it in order to gain things like strength, psionic power and intelligence/schematics.

So far, so good. With all these factions in the game, with their different objectives, it should give players a better sense of direction. Which brings me to the main optional objective. Liberating Earth from the Alien Overlord/Emperor/Space Pirate dude. Since Earth's populace simultaneously started to enter a new era of psionic power, the Goog's (named after the Australian word for egg. ) have arrived, having sensed a disturbance in the for...forecast...These Grey Aliens have taken the planet over now in order to safe guard us from ourselves and the power our unmitigated Psionic power could have on our world. But not everyone sees this "invasion" as such a beneficial thing for our species.

So, if you wanted, you'll eventually be able to train your character and work toward taking this Alien Overlord down, before him and his cronies harvest our brains for their soup! Each town will be under the control of a Goog force. If you're able to defeat them, you can claim the town as your own, be it taking it over or simply liberating it. Some towns will be harder, but the rewards will be greater. Which brings me on to the final point of this update. Resource Nodes.

To prevent players starting up a game and creating a bazillion drills, I've decided to make it so you can only place drills over resource nodes. Little shiny splotches and marks on the ground within towns where resources can be found, deep underground.  Defeating the Goog forces will pave the way for allowing you to build yourself a little resource farm. But some towns hold better nodes than others, so not only will you be competing again NPC's for control, but also players of other factions.
So, that's a fairly broad overview of what's been added, what's being worked on and what's planned for the future. The goal was to trim down some of the games fat, so to speak, and concentrate on an end goal. Something the game was severally lacking during testing.

With that in mind, I am limiting the game to only one playable race for the moment, due to a combination of lack of financial support for extra sprite work and wanting to get the game to a point where its enjoyable and playable. But the plan is to finish and polish everything, see where the game stands, then go back and consider adding anything extra that may have been cut or missed out previously.

However, keep in mind that what was mentioned is definitely not an exhaustive list of overall features within the game. :smiley: Thank you for taking the time to read the progress and I look forward to seeing your reactions to these plans. Keep an eye out for a Kickstarter campaign sometime this year, and if you're a real champ, even consider putting a few pennies aside to help fund the project. Hopefully we can get some more frames in our animations, extra races, fancy art and finally some sounds. So once again, thanks for reading and I hope you have a great day!

Ginseng

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2018, 10:56:28 pm »

Just a little video teaser of a new skill and the new maps. - https://streamable.com/7opi7

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2018, 11:22:43 am »

If I could give a suggestion, a permanently available single-player mode would be VERY nice
Pages: 1 [2]