Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Genning old maps in new versions  (Read 977 times)

Gashcozokon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Genning old maps in new versions
« on: February 14, 2018, 01:50:47 am »

Honestly I have never tried to play any save outside of its native version. But I have a map I would really enjoy if I could play on the new version.  So I understand that a 34.11 save won't update to 44.x but I have my fingers crossed there might be a way to use the world_Gen seed info to roll the same landscape? I can provide some images and info.

Gashcozokon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Genning old maps in new versions
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 01:51:39 am »

This is the 0.34.11 Seed Info, that If possible I would like to Gen in some version of 0.4x.xx. The 32/64bit conversion alone, is probabally enough to make it impossible. But if you don't ask you'll never know for sure.
Spoiler: World_Gen.Txt (click to show/hide)

Even if I have to step through multiple versions or something. Because it isn't existing Forts I want to preserve. But this map had a bunch of really neat Embark locations. One in particular I was hoping to share. There is a Volcano on a Frozen Ocean beach with an almost sheer 20Z cliff face, that has small patches of aquifer from the top of the peak deep down ~30Z or so of Aquifer in total.
This is from 0.34.11.
And this was my first attempt with 0.44.05. I'll have to check my Raws, because I might have one or two altered ones, and I don't know to what extent that might effect RNG Geology
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 04:09:53 am by Gashcozokon »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 03:56:32 am »

Depends on how old the version is.

In really old versions, the mineral choices were less... abundant.. so the geographical features like biomes and the like, had less exacting requirements. This means that there will be significant differences from the same seed generated in a modern world. Other features, like chasms and the like, no longer exist in the same capacity, so those too will be missing.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 05:59:18 am »

Overall geography seems to be reasonably consistent between reasonably modern versions, but you can definitely not count on it, and for that old world I doubt it would work. All it takes is really a single change that causes the RNG sequence to differ somewhere in the geography generation for everything to be different from that point on.

I think sheer cliff faces disappeared before I started with DF, for instance. You might be able to export the old world as a PSV world gen if that version supports DFHack (and the corresponding structures were mapped back then), but I'd still expect significant differences.

Gashcozokon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 06:55:06 pm »

Hmm, I'll look into PSV export. That's a new one to me. And you can still find vertical or near vertical surfaces if you look around enough for them.
I also really enjoy playing with ISO world as a way to check where might be a good embark.
I guess I have never played a Fort long enough, because I haven't ever really run into FPS Death. And I play on Bigger than standard Embarks.
Ok, so on review the Face in front of the Volcano isn't quite as sheer as I remembered, but it wouldn't be all that much work to straighten out and carve a weeping tiki face into.
This was also found on the same world, and I never did play this one beyond loading the map to make this picture.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 03:16:23 am »

You can find an exportmap script here http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=161188.msg7228166#msg7228166. Obviously, I have no idea if it will work for old versions (it was written for 0.40.X).

Gashcozokon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2018, 04:39:25 pm »

You can find an exportmap script here http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=161188.msg7228166#msg7228166. Obviously, I have no idea if it will work for old versions (it was written for 0.40.X).
Great! Thank you I will give that a try. I grabbed the x86 version of 0.44 thinking it was worth a try, but I got the same geography as the 64bit 0.44.
Will report back what happens with that script.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2018, 04:49:10 am »

Damn, those are some cool images. How big are those embarks?

Gashcozokon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2018, 05:05:23 pm »

Damn, those are some cool images. How big are those embarks?
The Frozen Volcano is 6x8 and
The Large Valley is 7x7
or there abouts, I have the world seed still (see earlier in the thread) but not the actual save files.
So, roughly that seems about right.

As you guessed the version difference means it did not work right out of the box. I will look into if I can fix it myself to work for 0.34.11 but haven't had time yet.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2018, 03:00:47 am »

You *MIGHT* be able to use PerfectWorld to accomplish your goal.

There are versions of the worldgen.xml file for older versions, as well as newer ones.  It basically handles world geography, so if you generate the geography with the older data files, save the perfect world generation data, then pull it in with newer data files, you *MIGHT* be able to get it to migrate.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=57428.0

(That is to say, pull in your .34 seed data into perfect world with no additional poking, and let it generate the needed heatmap files.  Then, use the same seed data along with the heatmap files with the newer versions' worldgen.xml to forcibly make DF comply with the old worldgen geography data supplied in the heatmaps.)

Can you spoilerize the seed data for .34 for this world? I will see if I can make it do the thing with perfectworld.

I have been attempting to import your world gen data into perfect world with the right files in place, but it has been crashing hard.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 04:11:56 am by wierd »