Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12

Author Topic: Eco: Save the planet from YOURSELF! (And an asteroid)  (Read 19430 times)

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
Re: Eco. Minecraft made by Germans. SERVER INDEED!
« Reply #105 on: April 06, 2018, 11:05:42 pm »

I've looked into it more since I posted. It seems super interesting. Gabeux, how does the government stuff play out in practice? I can see that being pretty interesting if there was a criminal justice system of some sort implemented. Or even opposing polities. Also, how deep does the simulation go when it comes to pollution? Is there a way to clean up polluted areas? And what kind of impacts does pollution have?

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 07, 2018, 05:25:24 am »

Glloyd, I'll postpone replying reply to you in full because I'm heading to bed, but a couple hours ago I won the world leader election in the server. As an Early Access game, stuff is still placeholder, and there's no government system other than taxes, Treasury&allocation, currency minting and a leader who has power over all that (except minting can be done by the public, every server takes on it differently), but gov system and criminal system are on the roadmap and will be made.

If you are curious what kind of things can happen with the systems that are in place, please just read my declaration of insanity.. government? Here:
https://pastebin.com/yPhh9num
Feel like joining in, yet? We have Magic Beans as our currency. And I hold the Mint. In my basement. With an excavator next to it and a crazy dorf digging to the planet core watching it.

Pollution can kill plant life and make the world look horrible, which in turn kills your hope in humanity and the animals, which will in parallel raise co2 levels and cause climate change/greenhouse effect making the sea levels raise which will make the noobs who built houses at the beach to finally take the need of a government serious. It's very deep AND wide for an early access game.

I doubt this works as a singleplayer game, however. Even for 2 player coop, like Wurm Unlimited I had to customize server files to make it make sense. Gameplay still fun, but playing with other people is what it was designed for and shines at. Buying it for singleplayer should be a crime. That just gave me an idea for a law...

Reminder that I'll be giving away two copies of the game in about 6-7 hours. I've stayed up til 7am organizing the government transition so I may wake a little late, but will do the giveaway first thing after waking up via random.org.
Only rule is the default one, no lunatics unless you write a 30 line dissertion about what this game means to you.

EDIT: Turns out I replied to you in full without passing out.
EDIT2: Fixed link
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 05:35:01 am by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 07, 2018, 12:01:23 pm »

Too bad I could not get people interested in the giveaway, only Glloyd and choppy joined in so you guys are the winners!

Can you guys pm me the email you want to receive the invite/key?

Also, big apologies because it seems I didn't say, when I announced the giveaway, that I was going to do it Saturday 07th [today], around 9PM PST. Game rekd my sleep and it was a bad overlook...sorry :(
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

choppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 07, 2018, 01:12:53 pm »

Sweet thanks Gabeux. And try to get some sleep, I have done the whole stay up till 5 get up at 7 and it messes you up quickly. (I am mostly better with my sleeping habits now a days, although I still need to get a consistent time down.)

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 07, 2018, 04:49:21 pm »

Thanks Gabeux! PMing you now. It does sound surprisingly indepth for an Early Access game. I checked out their roadmap too, it looks promising, a lot of it seems like logical extensions of the current systems. I'm excited to try it out.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 07, 2018, 08:47:05 pm »

Sent to both a bit after each messaged me. Hope you guys enjoy it.

Server I play is super unstable, probably because the Ocean is boiling.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 10, 2018, 08:40:12 pm »

I gotta ask.. Have anyone of you dug down to the planet's core?
If so, is there anything down there? Or do you just.. dig through the planet?

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 10, 2018, 10:02:46 pm »

As far as I've been able to tell, you hit bedrock and can't go any further, similar to Minecraft

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 14, 2018, 10:53:05 pm »

Unless a ramp eat you, then you fall down the planet and if you logoff just at the right moment....you log back in on the other side! Wormholes - unofficial feature confirmed.

Just announcing that the server I play on will go through a wipe very soon, and since I was able to build up a group of around 10 very nice people I met in-game, I'm again going overboard with it and once it wipes, we'll go try to build a city with pre-planned plots and so on..basically I'm trying to gather people to do what those games are designed for: doing cool shit through organization and planning. Last round everyone did what they wanted/thought was best and then we ended up with places looking brutally paved with just enough space for traffic, having to slice houses to make room for roads:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I plan on making a video with my AAR on my first playthrough along with adding some bits of a review about the game, if time allows. Will be difficult for me to speak in english on the mic, as it's not my first language and always feel awkward, but oh well..

Here's the server with all the info. Not wiped yet, though: https://ecoservers.io/server/584/
If you behave like a dorf it shouldn't be long until I invite you to the illuminati Glorious Bean Co-Op. If anyone wants to stick together and get a plot of land [5x5] or two (or more) in our city, share resources/crafting/etc, you're invited.

As a leader, economy and organization-wise I base myself on the way Dwarf Fortress goes, with people working together and becoming a self-sufficient group instead of doing everything through currency and capitalism. So the money is used when people within the group don't trust each other to give access to their land, or no one in the group can do a certain thing, so we buy/outsorce it. Ideally though, it's Communism Dwarf Econ. Of course, everyone is free to go do or play with/wherever they want, and they can (and should) have their own private property/house/workshop, since the communal crafting spot will probably eat resources like crazy.

The reason for DF-econ is mostly because capitalism is way too damn slow for my taste at the moment, and probably works better at very high pop very high activity servers. If all Stores are out of Boards and no Carpenter is on, I have to wait 6-24h for it. Not what I want out of the game atm.

hmu on Discord [ Gabeux#1309 ] as I'm on there actively.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 10:59:02 pm by Gabeux »

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 15, 2018, 03:35:54 pm »

Capitalism is way to slow if SP gain is slow and collaboration is high. The server I was playing on had upped the SP gain a bit and was medium collab, and there was a pretty thriving economy. There was even a currency war for a bit, as one currency had runaway inflation, so most people jumped ship to another. I think I'd prefer Dwarf Econ, but it was pretty fun to be the lumber king for a bit.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 15, 2018, 06:34:07 pm »

Join the Bean side Glloyd. Together we shall pollute the planet while taxing the rest of the world.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 23, 2018, 03:15:10 am »

I made a video about the current state of the playthrough, in which we destroyed the meteor in 6 days under very high specialization settings.
Lots of first times for me (had never done a video with voice and so on) so don't expect much. Here is it:D

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 28, 2018, 06:14:19 pm »

Wiping and launching my first server ever, with my own modpack of sorts.

Server info here.
Server Discord here.

Will also stop posting since no one here seems interested in poor Eco.  :P

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #118 on: April 28, 2018, 08:47:03 pm »

It isn't that I'm not interested, just that the game needs a lot more work before it is complete. There is very little challenge to it right now.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 28, 2018, 10:04:27 pm »

Will also stop posting since no one here seems interested in poor Eco.  :P

I'm definitely still interested...it's just that a bunch of us did 3 worlds back to back last month, and I'm kinda burned out. Looking at the planned features though, I fully intend to come back at a later date.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12