Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Wikipedia Articles Discussion Thread  (Read 1520 times)

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
Re: Wikipedia Articles Discussion Thread
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2018, 01:21:25 pm »

I find the Portal:Current Events a decent way to stay up on news without actually having to visit any news sites.

Okay, I'm glad I'm not the only one who does this. I've got many enjoyable stories out of current events, like this one about plastic surgery in a camel beauty pageant in Saudi Arabia.
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2018, 01:25:31 pm »

I strongly recommend checking out Wikipedia's own Lamest Edit Wars page.

Personally, I'm a fan of the pages discussing things like "Britain vs. England vs. the UK" and what precisely is a "Scotland" anyway:
Is Scotland a Constituent country (linking to constituent country), or a Country within a country (linking to constituent country), or a Country (linking to constituent country), or Country (linking to country), or a Semi autonomous subdivision of the United Kingdom, or a Semi autonomous constituent subdivision of the United Kingdom, or a Semi autonomous subdivision of the United Kingdom, or a Home Nation, or a Nation, or a Kingdom, or a Part, or a Province, or a Region, or a combination of any of the above, or none of the above?

There have also been similar edit wars on pages about England, Northern Ireland and Wales. Following in the fine tradition of truly Lame edit wars, the conflict has spilt over into unlikely places – for example, cities twinned with Scottish cities have had flag icons repeatedly switched between the Union Jack and that of Scotland, with collateral damage seen on Colin McRae and Chris Hoy (whose page during the 2008 Olympics saw both the Union Jack being removed/added from nationality and switching between being British and Scottish).

God bless Wikipedia for documenting their own editwars and memery.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 01:30:28 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2018, 02:51:58 pm »

If my boredom is truly severe, I'll find a random wiki article and fix typos, grammar, and tone. There are a lot of articles that are quite detailed in one language but stub length or completely nonexistent in others. People notice that, usually native speakers of the language with lots of info, and so they translate it into English. Sometimes directly through Google Translate. Others are clearly just stream of consciousness writing by the singular academic who studies that salamander or whatever. Less visited articles can get away from correction for a long time too, sometimes I'm the first person to touch the article in years, or even since the article was first created. I don't even want to imagine what the site looks like in less common languages.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 02:57:53 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2018, 06:47:48 pm »

Quote from: The article on Death
Death – particularly the death of humans – has commonly been considered a sad or unpleasant occasion...

I mean, it is right. It is usually considered sad.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2018, 10:39:49 pm »

"particularly the death of humans"
Pages: 1 [2]