Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwelvers: Dungeon Housekeeper  (Read 1467 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Dwelvers: Dungeon Housekeeper
« on: February 15, 2018, 10:03:43 am »

Couldn't find much mention of this game on here, so figured I'd start a thread.

Steam store page

Dwelvers is a real-time strategy game focused around the management and expansion of an underground lair and its cadre of various beasties. Heavily inspired by Dungeon Keeper, Dwelvers focuses more on the individual needs and personalities of your minions than on the multiplayer/skirmish battles (which is more the forte of War for the Overworld), and puts the player into a more of a freeform, procedurally generated scenario to explore and expand into the subterranean world however they wish (although there is work being done on a more structured campaign).

Unlike Dungeon Keeper or War for the Overworld, Dwelvers actually features a 3rd dimension, granting players increased freedom (and confusion) when designing their preferred style of malevolent communal living. It's kept somewhat simplified however, so there's only ever one "floor", meaning you don't have to worry about an impossible network of criss-crossing tunnels. The ingame environments use this extra depth quite well, and it lends itself quite well (either through the random generation or through player design) to some very pretty open caverns.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As the game focuses more on keeping your denizens happy, you'll need to set them up with appropriate sleeping arrangements, till the dark soil of the underearth in order to bake bread and brew beer, design dining halls for them to relax and enjoy the somewhat dank delicacies of cave life, and keep them fighting fit with training rooms, blacksmiths and more.

The game also features a (mostly) fully-functional surface world, which can be accessed by conquering and claiming one of the many hero gates scattered across the world. At last, you're free to exact revenge on those meddling champions by launching your own raids into their world for a change!

And what would a devious devil's den be without an array of infernal traps? Dwelvers' trap and mechanisms system is more akin to Evil Genius than Dungeon Keeper, in that you place and link up multiple parts in order to create a custom-made machine of death and/or mysteriously jamming and malfunctioning completely because you forgot to properly link up the thing to the other thing, and now there are paladins all over the kitchen.

Now, the game's still in fairly early access, and you may have noticed the "mixed" review on Steam. There's a reason for this, and I'd like to explain why such a seemingly fun and original game would end up with such a poor reception.

This is due to the game having gone through an extraordinarily slow development process thus far. Dwelvers is for the most part a one-man project, constructed from the ground down by one Rasmus Ljunggren. Rasmus attempted to dedicate himself fully to programming the game, but due to very poor sales (on what was at the time an extremely unfinished product) and a threateningly large amount of debt, he was forced to go back to working full time, which naturally puts a dent in how much work was done on the game.

The updates trailed off and the silent breaks between updates grew larger, until after nearly a year of no feedback from Rasmus, the game was presumed to be dead and abandoned.

Rasmus had, however, not given up on the project... He was just being his typically shy and somewhat self-deprecating self and felt really bad about pushing out news posts when he didn't have any actual game updates to show for it. He'd been working his buns off trying to pay down the debts that had been accumulated, and as such hadn't been focusing on patching the game. Eventually, he managed to pay down the bulk of his loans and was ready to put aside some more time towards developing Dwelvers, which had already gotten a poor rating by that time.

However, he was "inspired" by the negative reviews, as he found that most of them were giving the thumbs down because they felt the game had been abandoned, not because they didn't like the game. He just needed to prove to people that he was still dedicated to the project.

So, with the small amount of cash he had left over, he ended up buying out the original publishers of Dwelvers. This meant both that he'd be able to get a larger portion of any future proceeds, and that the former publishers would no longer be associated with his game.

This was significant because the publishing company in question was SMP, the company behind Towns, and thus the fiasco of that game's abandonment. He felt that Dwelvers was getting lumped in as "another cash-grab scam from SMP", and didn't want that hanging over the game as he tried to redeem himself. There have apparently been a couple other disagreements between the two, but I don't know anything about that.

Anyways, since that time, Dwelvers has released a number of major updates in a fairly short time span, including a major graphics and UI rework (which it sorely needed). Rasmus seems legitimately determined to see the project through to completion (and also still a bit apologetic about his long absence), and he's actually even been offered help from the software company he works for in fleshing out and patching up the game. In his own words, "development is going faster than ever!"

However, the game still doesn't have a lot of publicity, which is why I figured I'd put this up. I played Dungeon Keeper 2 to death as a kid, and always loved the aspect of taking care of all the little mooks that served me in my sprawling dungeon complex. Dwelvers goes a step further, expanding upon the economy and giving you greater freedom in designing your lair of evilness. It's still rather rough around the edges, but it's got a lot of heart. A dungeon heart, you might even say.

I highly recommend giving the free demo on Steam a try. And, if you like what you see, show the dev some support for staying with the project and continuing to work on it through adversity.

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
Re: Dwelvers: Dungeon Housekeeper
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 10:08:40 am »

I enjoyed it, and adore games like this.  Which is why I'm here, because I'm a DF nerd.  Lol.

Sadly, I don't have the money to buy the game.  -.-;  Dealing with cancer in the family has drained us dry in our finances.  Gonna keep an eye on Dwelvers though.  I hope it gets better and better.
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 10:13:32 am »

I enjoyed it, and adore games like this.  Which is why I'm here, because I'm a DF nerd.  Lol.

Sadly, I don't have the money to buy the game.  -.-;  Dealing with cancer in the family has drained us dry in our finances.  Gonna keep an eye on Dwelvers though.  I hope it gets better and better.
As if the disease wasn't horrible enough as it is, the system apparently needs to put financial strain on everyone involved... Best of wishes to you and yours.

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 04:37:11 pm »

As if the disease wasn't horrible enough as it is, the system apparently needs to put financial strain on everyone involved... Best of wishes to you and yours.

Thank you, Kagus.  It's gotten to the point where we have to start choosing rather or not to pay bills or have food to eat.  We just don't bring in enough combined income to make up the difference.  Even going to the local foodbanks doesn't help as much as it should.  Still, we'll do what we can to get over it.

And yes, I apologize for dropping such a sad thing in a totally unrelated forum.  At least I can get my gaming fix by watching Youtube videos. :P
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 02:07:41 pm »

So, I decided to try out the new version today, and while the "campaign" is currently just the one level, which is a very short tutorial section, it functions! Supposedly it's mostly voice-acted as well, but my computer currently doesn't have any sound output, so I can't exactly confirm, hehe.

Going back into sandbox, a lot of things have changed. UI is completely different now, and while it's *significantly* cleaner and easier to access now, there are a couple oddball things lingering in the details (it can be a little tricky to tell if you've "cleaned" the cursor properly or if you're still painting rooms, for example).

The barbecue wasn't a thing last time I played, so now we can add delicious cooked fish (in my day, we ate it raw! And we liked it!) and roasted rodents. Gives the pigs a little more busywork they can do in the kitchen, which is probably my favorite room to watch anyways.

No new critters, but they've all got special abilities now that they can unlock once they're a high enough level. There are also Steam achievements associated with getting someone trained up enough to unlock their ability, but this is somewhat cheesable as you can just kill an enemy of the appropriate level and shove them in a cemetary. When they rise up again as a ghost, you'll get the achievement (although I'm not sure ghosts even can use the special abilities of their past life...).

It's actually a bit more of a terror running into a pocket of neutral fishmen, because if they're at least level 3 they'll be able to yoink your imps towards them with their frog tongue ability before they have a chance to run away.

Actually haven't been up to the surface yet, but I got to see a peek of it in the cutscene for the tutorial mission. Still just dealing with the nearby hero gates, which is being made much more interesting thanks to the evil meter, which increases the XP gain rate of your minions while also increasing the the size and frequency of hero raids. The meter goes up whenever you destroy a good-aligned building, which happens to include the gates themselves. Seeing as I spawned with a cluster of three gates just across a chasm from me, things have been pretty interesting, hehe. Smashing one gate launches a retaliatory party from one of the others, and now I'm sitting pretty with a little more than half of my minions recuperating in the dormitory, while my remaining imps try their damnedest to clean up the 20+ corpses and unconscious heroes strewn about.

Road placement and construction has been greatly simplified, and I've been using them liberally. Great stuff, especially now that the stair constructions have been melded together with roads, so pathing a road over a z-level change will automatically generate stairs to smooth everything out. Only problem is that heroes get it into their heads that they need to actively destroy all your rooms tile by tile, including the roads... Gits.

Imps are still not the brightest creatures, despite wearing candles on their heads, and will happily panic and run off into the dark recesses of the cavern to get cornered by whatever foul beast they managed to bump into. Ghost bats will still languidly float around your dungeon, clearly not realizing that they are dead and should act like it. The cozy fireplace decoration in the bedroom is, as ever, still very cozy.