Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Religion demographic change as motive for temple defacement  (Read 535 times)

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
Religion demographic change as motive for temple defacement
« on: December 08, 2018, 05:55:47 am »

I almost hit Post in the FOTF thread but I decided that the question was actually a suggestion, so I've put it here unedited:

The Dec 7th 2018 devlog speaks of a human town's demographic changing to 25% dwarven within 50 years and the dwarven minority influencing worship. Within this, for plot-hooks, are you planning to add the possibility of push-back by traditionalists against real or perceived changes?

Currently there seems to be one reason to deface a temple. It's because you want to be "punished" with vampirism. But that's for players who don't mind the in-character consequences, not something npcs do (although it shouldn't be beyond the scope of a small proportion of npcs to do it for that reason). If there are entities worried about the influence or even superiority of their religion there's now another reason that someone would deface (or order/manipulate someone else into defacing) a temple despite the currently guaranteed holy retribution.

-----

I said unedited, so here are extra thoughts since.

Building on that, if it is possible for someone to have another do their dirty work, it should be possible for gods to have the option of punishing the "mastermind" behind the defacement with the curse instead of, or in addition to, the pawn. The god can be said to know the workings and leader of the plot by way of holy divination.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
Re: Religion demographic change as motive for temple defacement
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 04:05:38 am »

With Your Suggestion a protection from curses should be implenented. A Paladin of the god of order, for instance, should be protected from curses of other gods so that holy Orders are not completely vampire ridden.