Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: LCS Remake?  (Read 5074 times)

Nicholas1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
LCS Remake?
« on: February 18, 2018, 10:05:43 am »

Anyone ever thought if anyone would try to make a game with similar mechanics and goals of LCS? And not even necessarily based around liberal group, maybe any sort of "crime squad"? I did, and conveniently enough I am a game developer... ::) anyways, I really loved LCS when I played it years ago after discovering it from playing Dwarf Fortress, and few days ago an idea struck me, wouldn't it be cool if there would be another game like LCS? Maybe less of a roguelike and more of a modern type of a visual game? sort of.

Now I'd like to say I have pretty busy stage in my life, and I don't have tons of time to work on this, just saying to not build any potential "hype" or anything, because my version of this is not very likely to happen even though I'll attempt.

So my idea was, maybe develop something like LCS, but in modern engine (woo, fullscreen) and whenever you'd travel/visit areas in game (police station, etc etc) it will be actually more visual and from my plan, not turn based, but more like in artstyle of streets of rogue. (very interesting and beautiful roguelike that was made available on steam lately)

But yeah at least from what I got so far the main screen will stay the same, where days and daily actions will be turn based, only major difference will be the locations visiting.

Just a thought, would something like this be interesting? Or it won't make much difference since the game that has been out and been developed on existed for many years now and is fully playable and enjoyable anyway?

Any further ideas are fully welcome, what would be cool feature for a "remake" like this? What can/should be changed from original LCS? etc.

Taberone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: LCS Remake?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 11:35:11 am »

I always had an idea for a sort of LCS remake, but as a forum game and revolving around music. Instead of the Liberal Crime Squad, you're the Disco Squad, and trying to bring about the revival of disco. Other factions include the Rockstar Alliance, Dubstep Brigade, Classical Symphonists, Country Crew, and a bunch of other rival music-themed squads I haven't thought of yet. Like a name for a jazz-focused squad.

At the start of the game, Disco is dead. Very dead, in fact. Very few people like it, and thus very few people are willing to join up for the cause other than your founder and a small group of other friends, depending on starting choices. You must make Disco the most liked genre in the country by committing crimes in the name of disco, going out in public and blasting disco music, kidnapping anyone who doesn't like Disco and brainwashing them, musical activism, etc. You must also survive, since music is very serious business, and the other groups will do whatever it takes to make their musical genre the most liked in the country, even if it involves violence.

In addition to the rival music squads, there's also the police and the general public to deal with, too! Tolerance for "musical violence" is very low at the beginning, since people killing each other over not liking Rock and Roll is insane and shocking. As the conflict escalates, the public eventually gets desensitized to all the violence. Be careful, however, as too much violence will backfire and possibly lead to a full-blown civil war and the country being balkanized or something. The police won't exactly tolerate violence and crimes, either, unless bribed to look the other way.

monkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: LCS Remake?
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 01:00:12 pm »

I once did something in Unity.

I lost motivation when I started to add assets to make the streets look something like streets, they looked really awful and it got abandoned.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 06:28:05 pm by monkey »