Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to make a world full of deserts  (Read 2935 times)

Justin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to make a world full of deserts
« on: January 28, 2020, 03:53:46 am »

Like it reads on the tin.

I have figured out how to spawn volcanoes, but that's only half of my preferred desert embark.

Justin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to make a world full of deserts
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2020, 04:01:41 am »

Nvm, looks like PerfectWorld will cover it.

Justin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2020, 04:05:16 am »

I have no idea how to use it though. Does anyone know the settings I should try?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2020, 04:21:28 am »

I'd create a PSV world (PSV = PreSetValues). DF has an absolutely horrible world painter as part of the advanced world gen suite, but a number of people prefer to use a spreadsheet program to produce the values.
I use my own Tweakmap tool: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=161188.msg7228166#msg7228166.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2020, 10:32:25 am »

Easiest way is to make rainfall zero and drainage zero.  That should get you deserts ~everywhere. 
Then all you need is a little bit of 301+ elevation for the original mountainhome, if you want to play with/from/as a dwarven civ.
Something like this should get you started:
Spoiler: deserts1 (click to show/hide)
Note that there are often consequences for such a worldgen, with respect to aquifers and drainage, and as a result, types of stone and metals.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2020, 11:46:41 am »

Without getting into too much details, there is this nifty little diagramm about the rainfall-drainage values that correspond to each biome. Granted a 3rd party tool might give you better results but if you just want to increase the amount of deserts in your worlds doing so through advanced world gen is quite easy.

As vjek noted, changes like this can have unwanted consequences on your worlds, ie without forests there can't be elven civs.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2020, 02:40:46 am »

Or as an alternative to setting max to drainage / rainfall to 0,you could also just weight low values on them to 10 times more. That way you still get a world with some different biomes but not much. (so technically not a desert world but close enaught with all things /civs surviving)
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2020, 06:49:17 am »

By setting rainfall maximum and drainage max to about 70, you can increase the number of deserts, but not (probably) prevent elven civs.