Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stupid Noob Questions from someone whose been playing awhile but just forgot.  (Read 1109 times)

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, a friend of mine tried to get me into Rimworld. And...my main reaction was 'dwarf fortress does all this so much better', which uh, dissapointed him, but inspired me to start playing DF again.

So I'm currently on a glacial fortress, and have some Stupid Newbie Questions I've forgotten the answer to.

1. How do I force my dwarves to carve blocks out of ice so I can make my Ice Palace aboveground? Ice isn't on the rocks list. I looked under 'status' (z) then STONE, as well under the mason's workshop and DETAILS. I need my ice blocks!

2. I see the old 'certain ice stuff melts in summer underground regardless of the temperature or ice layer' bug/feature/I have no idea anymore is still there. 90% of my large start is frozen over (even in summer) glacier, and about 10% is another biome with trees and a frozen-even-in-summer stream. AFAIK, even if I choose another start, that stuff will still melt, right? I seem to recall the trick was placing stuff aboveground, and making sure you had a roof over it.

3. I'm using the 'Caveat Empor' pack with Phoebus graphics. I'm not sure why - I'm 100% sure I've used these graphics for years and possibly a decade or more...but .... the white highlight of the font on menus is...super white-grey and dim, and barely visible. There's barely any way to tell which item in a menu I'm highlighting. Is there a way to tweak that? Its annoying.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 10:54:41 am by lastofthelight »

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So apparently (for anyone else reading this) - the way you build the Ice Castle is with construction, the ice never becomes blocks.

vp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

1. You cannot make ice blocks, you must use rough ice boulders.

2. Constructed ice walls don't melt even after contact with magma. Just don't stockpile ice boulders in that warm 10%.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It the stream is frozen at all times, the temperature is below zero (Celsius) at all times, and you can safely store ice "stones" above ground (ignoring tricks with fire, magma, etc.). Note, however, that it's possible for (parts of) embarks to be (un)frozen for only 10 ticks per year, which would probably play havoc with such a stockpile.

(And you can edit your previous posts to avoid multi posting).

TubaDragoness

• Bay Watcher
  • o3o
    • View Profile

I have no idea how it interacts with tilesets, but there is a colors file under data>init . If your "white" lines are anything other than 250, try setting them to that.

DrCyano

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile

Check the description of the tileset to see if there's a recommended colors file to go with it.

I prefer Alloy Curses 12x12 myself, because I like the ASCII art. But I have to disable varied terrain in init_d.txt or it's just an incomprehensible mess.

A mad scientist necromancer, a peasant with a dream, a secret message inscribed on a gem, a giant bridge.
Come witness the Saga of the Puzzling Sea!
A documented Dwarf Fortress v0.47.xx game combining Fort Mode and Adventure Mode.