Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How many Monster Slayers is too many...  (Read 8448 times)

AQuebman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How many Monster Slayers is too many...
« on: February 20, 2018, 12:36:49 pm »

So I recently came back to DF after a long lay off with 44.05 and I just accidentally poked a hole in the massive cavern system.  This has since caused a flood of about 15 monster slayers with seemingly more incoming.  I accepted them all in when they petitioned as I figured hey more people to the slaughter cant hurt but I haven't had a chance to mess with if they are usable to do tasks or if they only run into caverns if they have a path.

Also how many of these suckers am I going to get because it's been ridiculous and made me think maybe it's a bug.  Are they usable for anything like labors or should I just open up a path to the caverns and seal them in for the glory of the empire?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: How many Monster Slayers is too many...
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 03:03:43 pm »

Ooh. That second one. Definitely that one.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 03:19:02 pm »

My experience with monster slayers is that they're mostly useful for luring giant cave spiders up into your fort, and dying in the process.

I don't think they can be given any labors of any sort, unless they petition to become full members of the fort.  I'm actually not sure if monster slayers can do that.

In theory they can be useful early in a fort since they have some decent weapon skills, so if you open up the caverns but don't make them accessible, the monster slayers will hang around in your tavern or meeting halls.  They might help to fend off invaders in that case.

I just ended up opening up the caverns and then covering the entrance with cage traps to keep the nastier things out that the monster slayers let in.  If they died down in the caverns it didn't much matter to me.  Except that one guy who died and then started making miasma when I wasn't fast enough about getting rid of his body.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 03:33:03 pm »

Let them in then raise a bridge behind them.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

AQuebman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 03:57:14 pm »

Well they petitioned right away I assume that's different than becoming citizens.  I think ill just dig down to an entrance that isn't a huge hole and seal them in and watch the fun ensue and maybe if i'm lucky they will kill some of that crap out of the dungeons for me.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 03:59:33 pm »

You're a good dorf.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2018, 05:10:56 pm »

1 monster slayer is 1 too much, in my view. I tried one, and when I opened up a cavern for him he decided to just stay in the cavern to socialize. The second time I opened up a cavern the bugger actually went there, walked around for a bit, and then got thirsty, so I let the bugger back into the fortress.
All they're good for is creating miasma out of themselves or cavern critters (and some visitite once they croak).

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 03:45:08 am »

Yeah... visitite.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2018, 03:51:28 am »

Monster slayer. That's a strange way of spelling 'FB fodder'.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

Raikaria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2018, 05:02:20 am »

I don't like having any.

Their contribution to your fort tends to be:

Eats your food and drinks your booze

Kills creatures you would have much rather trapped; trained and used for either production; military purposes or just butchered.

Causes your civillians to run into the caverns after their stuff after they inevitably die to something; causing more civillians to run to their demise for socks.

I accept Performers [Happy thoughts] and Soldiers [An army of conscripted hippies? So my Dorfs don't have to risk their beards? Sign me up!] but not Monster Slayers. Even if eventually they might apply for citizenship; at which point you can enlist them in the army.

buuface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2018, 12:16:35 am »

I just stick them all in a Squad with a dwarf captain and make them a barracks covering the cavern entrance - so they are on standby to help if any of my Urists get attacked while collecting spider webs

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2018, 01:05:46 am »

^ Just do that. Humans are more flexible than dwarves when it comes to fighting. They make great outdoor fighters because no cave adaptation, will never tantrum and come with skill and equipment. Each slayer you recruit is another dwarf free to work at creating artefacts. A good battle fort needs some 20-30 trained fighters, so slayers will save you a lot of manpower.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2018, 01:52:49 am »

I assume you use DT to stick the monster slayers into squads? I believe that loop hole is being plugged in DT...

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2018, 09:27:14 am »

I assume you use DT to stick the monster slayers into squads? I believe that loop hole is being plugged in DT...

Oh, I did not know that. Are you sure? 

I thought once they petition to reside, they are like mercenaries that can be placed as squad members but not squad captains.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2018, 10:45:19 am »

I'm not completely sure, but that's my understanding from reading the forum and the DT thread. I've tried my monster hunter, didn't like it, and won't try again until after their mechanics have been changed as they don't fit my play style.
Pages: [1] 2