Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How many Monster Slayers is too many...  (Read 8461 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: How many Monster Slayers is too many...
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2018, 01:28:02 pm »

I have put folks with monster hunter as their title into a squad, but I'm not sure if they were full citizens or not.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2018, 05:48:13 pm »

I have put folks with monster hunter as their title into a squad, but I'm not sure if they were full citizens or not.
Actual monster slayers petition on arrival and join your citizen list. They can't be added to squads except with 3rd party memory hacking tools like DT.

However, There's an ongoing issue with ex-spies retaining their fake name and job title when they migrate to your fortress as regular citizens. You'll get "monster slayers" from that too. They can be added to squads normally.
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=10490

strainer

• Bay Watcher
  • Goatherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2018, 06:29:17 pm »

I found a cheerful tavern keeper got killed by a monster hunter and his pals in a tavern scuffle. They were telling stories when my guard squad where sent to the scene. Last stories they ever told !
Klok the Kloker !

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2018, 07:09:28 pm »

NO LOITERING (decapitates taverngoers)
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

strainer

• Bay Watcher
  • Goatherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2018, 08:12:36 pm »

Haha! yip seems appropriate.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 03:39:24 pm by strainer »
Klok the Kloker !

falcn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2018, 01:19:15 am »

I agree, having cavern creatures trapped is better in every way, but nothing stops you from doing that: just trap the actual entrances to the cavern (map edge).

Monster Slayers are alright. They provided my early fort with a surplus of meat, bones and leather, made caverns a safe place for civilians to do web collecting, wood cutting and plant gathering (and installing/reloading cage traps), provided a lot of much needed training for my medical personnel, and, most importantly, has given my smiths weapon-grade metal to work with, since I don't have any on my embark.

Treat them like an underground hunters that don't collect their kills.

batoonike

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2020, 04:10:14 pm »

I took in about 10 and one of them solo-killed a forgotten beast with a wooden sword. Otherwise no.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2020, 12:18:12 am »

They're a bit of a nuisance.  They're okay because they go get killed by FBs and you can get an idea how tough the FB is by whether they end up with any dents in them after fighting a couple of these idiots.  Usually though they're just drinking in your tavern.  My favorite one of these guys was some clown who showed up, as they do, to "eradicate monsters" and then immediately panicked and ran away from everything he saw.

It's been a bit since I made this comment originally, but in my latest fort where I set a quota of 5 of these guys at any time, the first I let in was a Gorlak Crossbowman.  His first action after consuming booze for a few months was to one shot a giant cave crocodile.  Those things are pretty nasty.  He's since then fairly reliably gotten rid of harmful monsters.  This is the first monster slayer I've had who is any good.  He also uncovered a troll before it got up to any mischief.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 10:09:18 pm by muldrake »
Pages: 1 [2]