Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tattered clothes- how do I get rid of them?  (Read 1307 times)

Frugal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tattered clothes- how do I get rid of them?
« on: October 29, 2006, 01:20:00 am »

I noticed one of my dwarves was unhappy that they were wearing tattered clothing so I started making more.  50+ Shirts, Pants, and Shoes later, I notice a bunch of worn clothing lying around my Finished Goods stockpile.  The dwarves also often store them in their rooms.  My problem is that the new clothes wear out so quickly that I'm starting to worry about the old clothing cluttering up my fortress.  I can't usually trade them away, as they don't show up as something I can move to the depot.

Do Dwarves hang on to all their used clothing, or just one extra set of clothes?

Also, many of my military dwarves are still using their heavily worn Cloaks in spite of there being like 20 extras in bins.  Why aren't they replacing them?  Do dwarves not actively seek out Cloaks, and only wear them if they have them on when they arrive?

dav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tattered clothes- how do I get rid of them?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 02:01:00 pm »

I want to know, this, too.  Anyone?  Bueller?

Draxxalon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tattered clothes- how do I get rid of them?
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006, 02:06:00 pm »

As far as I have been able to tell.. they hold onto EVERYTHING.

I ran one fort for about 10 years, and there was damaged clothing everywhere.  Pick any stockpile, and there was damaged clothing cluttering it up.   Every dwarf had tons of it in their cabinets, on their floors, in the halls to their room, outside the fort, and in every main hallway.

Dwarves will definately keep more than a couple outfits.. and after the economy, often collect tons of random pieces of clothing (one of my dwarves had no less than 8 pairs of shoes in his cabinet, all unworn).

I had requested an "Eminent Domain" functionality for this stuff, so I could "claim" their belongings (and pay the dwarf from the fortress cash stockpile), so I could chasm it.

Someone else has also requested a "repair" functionality for workshops to fix them.

Judging by the new stockpiles, there is supposed to be functionality to handle "garbage clothing", but it either doesn't work, or isn't in yet.