Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Onolerar  (Read 4481 times)

Alex Encandar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Onolerar
« on: February 19, 2008, 11:02:00 am »

Hey, I just built the first floor of my most recent fortress (only took a painfully long 4 years to complete >.<, 7800+ constructions).

Anyways, I would like anyone interested's opinions on it and any advice you would like to give. My current plans are;

Installing crossbow-weapon traps inside the two long rooms north/south of the main entrance

Digging further down when I run out of stone for storage space and stone.

Basically copying the outer ring and inner area on the next floor up for more housing space.

Adding two large towers above the long rooms north/south of the entrance where my marksdwarves will train.

Adding 4 workshop areas (stone/gem, wood, crafts, food/leather)as well as a jail on the third floor above the center area.

Any other ideas?

Onolerar (Desert Fort) Map Thread
Hammerwalls (Ocean Fort) Map Thread
Fountaintomb (Aged fort) Map Thread
Earthday (Hazard Fort) Map: Thread:

Alex Encandar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Onolerar
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 11:13:00 am »

...it would probably help if I posted the link  :D
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-2110-mountainleaders

Alex Encandar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 11:16:00 am »

Ah! I just realized I can place the jail above the trade depot.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 11:30:00 am »

Wow, that looks like a lot of clicks. Do you still have an enter key, or did it wear away?

Seriously, nice.

A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Alex Encandar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 11:35:00 am »

Thanks, no I luckily used auto-designation macro. SO glad I learned how to use that  :D Still, it took forever for it to imput all the commands, 5 hours or so of just watching it and looking for mistakes as it went  :D

Nos3y

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 11:40:00 am »

That is one magnificent building so far >_>

Alex Encandar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 11:51:00 am »

Thank you  :D I wanted to make it as perfect design-wise as possible hehe.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 12:14:00 pm »

That looks like a miniture version of the Dwarf Fortresses in Adventure mode, because of your huge empty spaces. My fortress doesn't have a hallway bigger then 3 wide, and the most massive room is 11x15, not counting the stone storage rooms, which are super-massive for the time being since my zones of digging have been as massive (Not quite as massive as yours, since I use less space overall.

Then again, yours you can adapt better then I can mine.

... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Alex Encandar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 12:18:00 pm »

Yeah, actually the large 10-tile wide ring in between the outer ring and middle area is going to be outside, so none of my spaces are TOO massive.

Edit; FINALLY, after a good 2 hours, I finally finished a spreadsheet of the 2nd floor, a good 45 mins was trying to figure out why my center area didn't line up right with the 1st floor (two of the rooms were 4x5, not 5x5 >.< )

Decided to push the entrance towers up to the 3rd floor and add a second jail above the entrance.
Anyways, so soon I will be able to start in on the 2nd floor  :D Hope I hav eenough obsidian.

Any more advice/opinions would be great, off to class hehe.

[ February 19, 2008: Message edited by: Alex Encandar ]

Alex Encandar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2008, 07:13:00 pm »

Ugh, goblin raiders killed 10 dwarves, including my captain of the guard, didn't like him though, he just loved Electrium and diamonds.

Bricktop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 07:36:00 pm »

Just pointing out, if I remember rightly crossbow weapon traps still only kill enemies that stand on them (but I haven't actually used them myself, only read about them so maybe I'm wrong and you know exactly what your doing).

Still, looks well good!  :D I bet it'd be an impressive place to explore, and while the big rooms might look like big empty spaces at the moment, I'll sure you'll have that size for a reason (massive dining halls? Statue gardens?)

Anyway, good luck!  :D

Alex Encandar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2008, 11:28:00 am »

Yeah I've been concerned about the crossbow-weapon traps thingy, was hoping it would work but if it doesn't I suppose I could adjust the design slightly so that the traps are in the path, just thought the currently lay out would let me reload them easily without my loaders being put in harm's way. As I've said the 10-square ring is planned to be an open plaza area. The giant open area in the dead center of the fort though, haven't got a plan for it yet hehe. Was probably going to make it into a statue garden or zoo. I don't want traffic to be huge there since the entrance is only 1 square wide, but a slow trickle of dwarves might be ok.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2008, 11:32:00 am »

There is only one true crossbow trap, and it is called a "ballista".

Crossbow-loaded weapon traps will only affect critters that stand on them. Sorry.  

Sean Mirrsen has really been pushing the ranged crossbow-trap idea, there's a thread of his in the suggestions forum that bears looking at.

Alex Encandar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2008, 07:15:00 pm »

Ugh, ok guess I'll check that thread out. My computer decided to die yesterday evening, luckily I have the save of Onolerar on a flash drive but don't really have access to any other computer that's even close to fast enough to play DF reliably. Hopefully I will be able to find some boot disks for it later today.

Thallone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2008, 08:34:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Alex Encandar:
<STRONG>Ugh, ok guess I'll check that thread out. My computer decided to die yesterday evening, luckily I have the save of Onolerar on a flash drive but don't really have access to any other computer that's even close to fast enough to play DF reliably. Hopefully I will be able to find some boot disks for it later today.</STRONG>

You sure you computer isn't simply on strike after being forced to perform this glorious feat of slave labor? Nice fort!
Pages: [1] 2